Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am seriously thinking about firming my offer and wondered if anybody knows anything about the musical theatre society particularly the sorts of productions they put on. i am very keen on musical theatre and would definitely like to continue this at university. i understand that it is a fairly new society but that is all they could tell me at the visit day. any info would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    The QMMTS have not put on any shows this year. This has been, I believe, due to difficulty in finding musicians and space. This may change next year but I do not know.

However, the QMTC [Theatre Company] are putting on a show with singing on the Weekend of 13th/14th. It's a cabaret, (not the musical though!) set in the 1940s. All of the singers have characters and the idea is that the entire audience is involved in the show with barmen/maids acting as if it is the 1940s.

The problem with performing musicals is that there isn't really a theatre space suitable to have enough instruments. The Pinter Studio is your typical black box and the Great Hall is absolutely massive.

If you have any other questions about the theatre company please ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    The QMMTS have not put on any shows this year. This has been, I believe, due to difficulty in finding musicians and space. This may change next year but I do not know.

However, the QMTC [Theatre Company] are putting on a show with singing on the Weekend of 13th/14th. It's a cabaret, (not the musical though!) set in the 1940s. All of the singers have characters and the idea is that the entire audience is involved in the show with barmen/maids acting as if it is the 1940s.

The problem with performing musicals is that there isn't really a theatre space suitable to have enough instruments. The Pinter Studio is your typical black box and the Great Hall is absolutely massive.

If you have any other questions about the theatre company please ask.
    ahh thats a shame! understandable though.
    is the cabaret a one off or do you do that sort of thing regularly? i am more of a musicals girl at heart but it is definitely something i would be interested in if the musical theatre society isn't quite what i am looking for.
    also, do you know of the sorts of things the musical theatre society have done this year if they have not put on any full-scale productions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    ahh thats a shame! understandable though.
    is the cabaret a one off or do you do that sort of thing regularly? i am more of a musicals girl at heart but it is definitely something i would be interested in if the musical theatre society isn't quite what i am looking for.
    also, do you know of the sorts of things the musical theatre society have done this year if they have not put on any full-scale productions?
    Well it is "technically" a one off. But there is nothing stopping it from taking place again, or if someone wanted to pitch a musical that could be done in the Pinter [say..it provides recorded music, cheap on the rights, or just needs a piano, guitar and drums]. Also there is the QMTC Variety Show at the start of the year to showcase your talents.

I'm not entirely sure what the QMMTS is up to. I get emails talking about a Musical that that might be trying to put on this term? But I don't know really what is happening with it...If I find out, I'll let you know.

The problem with being a London University and doing Musicals is that it can be hard to get the rights because we're close to the West End shows, and if they are running at the time, or about to run you won't get the rights. Rights can also be very very expensive...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about MTS but I did have an ex boyfriend who went to QMUL and when visiting, I hated it. I don't know whether this was to do with the high prices, crime, fact that the bf was a bit of a kn*b or that I just didn't get a good feel for the place.

Sorry that was useless info but do go and get a feel for the place!

ReputationRep:
    Well it is "technically" a one off. But there is nothing stopping it from taking place again, or if someone wanted to pitch a musical that could be done in the Pinter [say..it provides recorded music, cheap on the rights, or just needs a piano, guitar and drums]. Also there is the QMTC Variety Show at the start of the year to showcase your talents.

I'm not entirely sure what the QMMTS is up to. I get emails talking about a Musical that that might be trying to put on this term? But I don't know really what is happening with it...If I find out, I'll let you know.

The problem with being a London University and doing Musicals is that it can be hard to get the rights because we're close to the West End shows, and if they are running at the time, or about to run you won't get the rights. Rights can also be very very expensive...
    thankyou so much for the info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jose1989)
    I don't know anything about MTS but I did have an ex boyfriend who went to QMUL and when visiting, I hated it. I don't know whether this was to do with the high prices,
    That's true for all of London however, not just QMUL

crime,
    :curious:

The stats show that Tower Hamlets has lower crime levels than Westminster, Camden, Islington and so on.

If you're looking for an urban area with an ultra low crime rate, you're going to be searching an awfully long time...

fact that the bf was a bit of a kn*b or that I just didn't get a good feel for the place.
    Probably one of these.

I do agree that visiting is a much better idea than listening to people's misinformed opinions on TSR

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about MTS but I did have an ex boyfriend who went to QMUL and when visiting, I hated it. I don't know whether this was to do with the high prices, crime, fact that the bf was a bit of a kn*b or that I just didn't get a good feel for the place.

i have been to visit it before and loved it :yep: but everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    That's true for all of London however, not just QMUL

:curious:

The stats show that Tower Hamlets has lower crime levels than Westminster, Camden, Islington and so on.

If you're looking for an urban area with an ultra low crime rate, you're going to be searching an awfully long time...

Probably one of these.

I do agree that visiting is a much better idea than listening to people's misinformed opinions on TSR
    Firstly, crime levels are soft statistics of which can be manipulated to suit those putting forward the statistics. I never felt safe there.

Secondly, I agree it was probably much more to do with the bf that anything else !

Thirdly, it's an opinion. I haven't been misinformed; it was my, albiet limited, experience.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    i have been to visit it before and loved it :yep: but everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
    Good ! The great thing about having all these different universities in the UK is that there's one to suit everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, crime levels are soft statistics of which can be manipulated to suit those putting forward the statistics.
    Whereas your opinion which is based on absolutely zero evidence is quite clearly superior :curious:

I never felt safe there.
    That could be due to a myriad of reasons, from you being a daddy's girl from Norfolk to you having paranoid schizophrenia. Doesn't mean there's actually a problem with Mile End, Stepney or Whitechapel (or at least a problem which wouldn't be found elsewhere in central London).

"Cheers"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Whereas your opinion which is based on absolutely zero evidence is quite clearly superior :curious:

That could be due to a myriad of reasons, from you being a daddy's girl from Norfolk to you having paranoid schizophrenia. Doesn't mean there's actually a problem with Mile End, Stepney or Whitechapel (or at least a problem which wouldn't be found elsewhere in central London).

"Cheers"
    What I meant was that I don't trust statistics. Your name is Democracy, so perhaps lets keep personal comments out of this. I am, in fact, from London; I am well aware of the crimes rates of different areas etc etc. Nor am I a 'daddy's girl' (good insult by the way...!)

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was that I don't trust statistics. Your name is Democracy, so perhaps lets keep personal comments out of this.
    Well it isn't really but

I am, in fact, from London; I am well aware of the crimes rates of different areas etc etc.
    Great, in that case I'm sure you'll know that central London is much the same, whether it's Whitechapel, Camden High Street or Soho. So to say QMUL is "unsafe" based on some arbitrary "feeling" is a bit unfair and misleading to the OP, as in fact, QMUL is just as safe as any other large UofL College.

Nor am I a 'daddy's girl' (good insult by the way...!)
    Please re-read my post

"That could be due to a myriad of reasons".

I didn't actually say that you were.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me that this pointless debate has to spill into every single thread. None of this conversation has anything to do with the Queen Mary Musical Theatre Society so could it not have been kept elsewhere?

Jose1989, I realise you may have thought you were being useful but I'm sure that if the OP wanted information about the university itself she would not have sepcifically requested only information on the Musical Theatre Society. Also, whilst you opinion may be of some value - saying things like "My exboyfriend didn't like it but I'm not entirely sure why" isn't really helpful to a potential applicant. This kind of second hand information is more damaging than helpful.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Bringmesunshine, good luck with your decision. Glad I could be of some help.

ReputationRep:

Yeahhh I feel this; at UCL and SOAS they only pay £1500 a year tuition fees. Also, since they're in much more central London their halls and second/third accommodation is far cheaper! Also, their union shop and bars and whatever are wayyy cheaper.

Oh, no wait, actually, I don't think they are, are they?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me that this pointless debate has to spill into every single thread. None of this conversation has anything to do with the Queen Mary Musical Theatre Society so could it not have been kept elsewhere?

Jose1989, I realise you may have thought you were being useful but I'm sure that if the OP wanted information about the university itself she would not have sepcifically requested only information on the Musical Theatre Society. Also, whilst you opinion may be of some value - saying things like "My exboyfriend didn't like it but I'm not entirely sure why" isn't really helpful to a potential applicant. This kind of second hand information is more damaging than helpful.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Bringmesunshine, good luck with your decision. Glad I could be of some help.

thankyou very much, hopefully i might be seeing you next year if you have a lot to do with the theatre society
    edit: i just noticed you are in your final year! good luck with whatever you do after you graduate

ReputationRep:

I totally agree that pointless debates do spill into every thread on TSR but I was giving my experience of QMUL. I spent a good year there pretty much, so whilst my experience is not that of yours it is still an experience and I feel that because it wasn't an entirely positive experience you felt the need to argue it. That is what unfortunately started this pointless debate. Perhaps you should've just said "I dissagree, but everyone has different experiences". That way, you would not have wasted your time trying to argue your point. I stated that my post had nothing to do with the MTS, however, since the MTS is in QMUL I think it is partially valid to give an opinion of the uni as a whole. In addition to this, I didn't say that my ex boyfriend didn't like it, I said I didn't like it and thus, it was not second hand information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeahhh I feel this; at UCL and SOAS they only pay £1500 a year tuition fees. Also, since they're in much more central London their halls and second/third accommodation is far cheaper! Also, their union shop and bars and whatever are wayyy cheaper.

Oh, no wait, actually, I don't think they are, are they?
    :rolleyes:
    Do they really only pay £1500 a year tuition fees at UCL and SOAS?!

ReputationRep:
    Do they really only pay £1500 a year tuition fees at UCL and SOAS?!
    Of course not. I was being highly sarcastic.. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree that pointless debates do spill into every thread on TSR but I was giving my experience of QMUL. I spent a good year there pretty much, so whilst my experience is not that of yours it is still an experience and I feel that because it wasn't an entirely positive experience you felt the need to argue it. That is what unfortunately started this pointless debate. Perhaps you should've just said "I dissagree, but everyone has different experiences". That way, you would not have wasted your time trying to argue your point. I stated that my post had nothing to do with the MTS, however, since the MTS is in QMUL I think it is partially valid to give an opinion of the uni as a whole. In addition to this, I didn't say that my ex boyfriend didn't like it, I said I didn't like it and thus, it was not second hand information.
    Sorry, but what you said was plain wrong. It is ridiculous to have a go at QMUL for "high prices" or "crime", even more ridiculous given that the prices aren't that high (especially if you can manage your money) and the crime is virtually non existant unless a) you're very unlucky or b) looking for it. Hello? It's called "London", I suggest you get used to it.

What's even more amusing is that you wrote off stats from the Metropolitan Police that Tower Hamlets is actually a lot safer than other boroughs of central London

For your own sake, please drop this argument. There are people on the QM forum with over a decade's worth of combined experience of the uni and the area, as well as those who actually work for the College. Be assured that we know more about it than you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.