Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do guys who wear certain shirt styles/colours appear more attractive? watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a habit of wearing polo shirts or t-shirts most of the time that are dark colours. they are usually all one colour, sometimes with a bit of pattern on them. i cant help but think it makes me look subdued and not as vibrant, lively and good as other guys. i see some with patterned shirts or good style shirts and they get loads more attention. i have worn dark colours for most of my life but i'm thinking if i wore some brighter, more vibrant colours, i'd appear more attractive. my trousers are fine - blue or black jeans and i think i look good in them. but my shirts could be better. so is this true? thanks for all serious replies

No its mainly about the face if he is good looking or not. Clothes can be changed.

ReputationRep:
    Probably, but it doesn't mean what you wear doesn't suit you.

I reckon I give off the impression though that I couldn't be arsed about clothes, it's probably not the best impression to give but well it's true.

ReputationRep:
    A brighter shirt attracts the eye I suppose. I wouldn't personally say it made them more attractive, maybe more noticeable perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    I love guys in red.....:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No its mainly about the face if he is good looking or not. Clothes can be changed.
    So basicley the more colourfull and fashionable they are, the more ugly they are...lol OJ:p: so that means chavs are the most beautifull people in this country.....hmmmmmmmmm hehe

I guess it helps, yep. and if you aint that hot in the face or body then clothes will help you a hell of alot.

ReputationRep:
    Colours and pattens do make a difference.... I personally hate the current checked shirt craze, and how you look round a dance floor and see 4 or 5 guys in exactly the same shirt! Not cool.

The biggest difference though is getting properly fitting shirts. All my shirts go to a tailor, or I buy from a tailor in the first place. It doesnt cost much, either £10 to get them tailored, or if you buy from the shop then complete tailoring is included in the price. £25 for a good quality shirt with full tailoring is bloody good! It makes such a huge huge difference between a "standard" shirt and a tailored one which fits well.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear polo shirts or shirts, not a fan of just t-shirts. Normally dark colours or a dark jumper with a light (by light I mean white or grey) polo shirt under it.

The most vibrant and 'risky' items of clothing I own are a brown hoodie with a red and grey inside hood from GAP (love it) and a long sleeved polo shirt without the collar (if that makes sense) that is blue and white thin stripes.

Vibrant colours are for people that want to seem really kooky, i.e every male that shops at Topman

ReputationRep:
    Adidas joggies and a Fiorentina top is definitely the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    black :love:

there was a guy in 6th form last year who once wore a flourescent pink shirt and an orange tie. He got attention, but i dont think hats the kind you want....

basically not plain stuff/colours are good but dont go ott
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Black shirts ftw.
    Although most of mine have something written on them somewhere, sometimes a wacking great bit logo.

(Original post by Riderz)
    Colours and pattens do make a difference.... I personally hate the current checked shirt craze, and how you look round a dance floor and see 4 or 5 guys in exactly the same shirt! Not cool.

The biggest difference though is getting properly fitting shirts. All my shirts go to a tailor, or I buy from a tailor in the first place. It doesnt cost much, either £10 to get them tailored, or if you buy from the shop then complete tailoring is included in the price. £25 for a good quality shirt with full tailoring is bloody good! It makes such a huge huge difference between a "standard" shirt and a tailored one which fits well.
    Which are the best tailor shops man??? where would you recomend? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Which are the best tailor shops man??? where would you recomend? cheers
    I use a small local place, probably not much use to you unless you live in Coventry. Have a look in your town centre or ask some menswear places, they would probably know where is best if they dont offer the service themselves.

ReputationRep:
    where's all the pschology bods when u need 'em? ah, that's right, they're all trying to score some weed, well it is the weekend! colours have an instant effect on perception and have been proven to reflect personality on several levels. Although you claim that you're a confident person your choice of understated colours says otherwise as you don't feel confident enough to wear them and stand out. a huge amount of research is out there, large retailers know how important it is so spend a bomb on promoting certain colours. cadbury's is a fantastic example with purple. 2000 years ago the romans knew it too, they would have potential business deals negotiated in a purple room as it made the parties involved more relaxed and receptive to offers. The lady that mentions red is spot on, it signifies confidence and strength, and the ladies do like a strong man. if you're a bit of a porker then darker colours are good however you can choose a dark maroon/burgundy for almost the same effect. if your pale skinned then autumn colours are good, dark skinned then summer colours etc. look for a stylists colour wheel, it'll match colours to personalities and skin tones. once you've nailed it you'll never look back! good luck and hope you get laid soon, TK Maxx has a massive sale on at the mo' so you're half way there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I use a small local place, probably not much use to you unless you live in Coventry. Have a look in your town centre or ask some menswear places, they would probably know where is best if they dont offer the service themselves.

Im from Cov! Where do you go to get your shirts taylored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old Git - Young Brain)
    where's all the pschology bods when u need 'em? ah, that's right, they're all trying to score some weed, well it is the weekend! colours have an instant effect on perception and have been proven to reflect personality on several levels. Although you claim that you're a confident person your choice of understated colours says otherwise as you don't feel confident enough to wear them and stand out. a huge amount of research is out there, large retailers know how important it is so spend a bomb on promoting certain colours. cadbury's is a fantastic example with purple. 2000 years ago the romans knew it too, they would have potential business deals negotiated in a purple room as it made the parties involved more relaxed and receptive to offers. The lady that mentions red is spot on, it signifies confidence and strength, and the ladies do like a strong man. if you're a bit of a porker then darker colours are good however you can choose a dark maroon/burgundy for almost the same effect. if your pale skinned then autumn colours are good, dark skinned then summer colours etc. look for a stylists colour wheel, it'll match colours to personalities and skin tones. once you've nailed it you'll never look back! good luck and hope you get laid soon, TK Maxx has a massive sale on at the mo' so you're half way there.
    i should add that there's always a dark side - the guys that wear red have also been proven to be more prone to aggression and violence, so careful what you wish for ladies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccfc1987)
    Im from Cov! Where do you go to get your shirts taylored?
    AXL Menswear, 1st floor of West Orchard.

you a fella halii_94?

What about if a guy wears a dark colored T-shirt or polo with something like an Umbro logo on it (i.e not a very eye catching shirt) but has broad shoulders, puffed up chest, thick back and arms that fill the sleeves? Would that make up for the lack of wardrobe eye-catchyness/attractiveness?

ReputationRep:
    I have a mixture. I have a few bright coloured shirts but wear them rarely. I like to stick to colours like black, grey and navy. It might not catch the eye but at least it's tasteful. I know people who go out in shiny sparkly shirts and green jumpers. They look silly.

I only use Topman for plain coloured shirts, cardigans and jumpers. If I ever buy a striped/patterned/chequed shirt on the high street I try my best to get one from the back of the rack so no-one else finds it and buys it.

Topman makes all men look like clones.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.