Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    im gonna try and apply for the accommodations next year, but the problem is that i live too close (15 miles) when they say you have to be over 25 miles away it takes me about an hr and a half to get there aswell, was just wondering what the best reason i could put for increasing my chances of getting them is?
    I've thought about saying that my dads kicking me out, which he says he'll back me up saying that
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw :p: )

ReputationRep:
    That's basically fraud, you know.

If you live too close, you just won't get it. There'll be hundreds (there were thousands who didn't get any uni accommodation last year at Portsmouth) so trying to cheat the system really isn't fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    That's basically fraud, you know.
    :yep:

This. If the university have a rule about those who live 'too close', there'll be a reason for it - notably, that they don't have enough accommodation, and need to cater for those who genuinely need it.

The university wouldn't just make this rule up for fun, to stop you getting a place in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i know it might not be very fair on someone who is quite far away, but tbh if you don't get the accommodations for ur 1st or 2nd year you miss out on quite a bit i think, and just because their a suitable distance away for 'em dosn't seem very fair to me, it would be better if they just put all the names of ppl in a hat and picked them out randomly (Rest would just have to get private)
    Also, i really can't stand living in my parents house :p:
    Has anyone else considered maybe exaggerating a reason? or what kind of reasons is it their looking for when they ask "explain why you are applying for accommodations"? thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    Hmm, i know it might not be very fair on someone who is quite far away, but tbh if you don't get the accommodations for ur 1st or 2nd year you miss out on quite a bit i think, and just because their a suitable distance away for 'em dosn't seem very fair to me, it would be better if they just put all the names of ppl in a hat and picked them out randomly (Rest would just have to get private)
    Has anyone else considered maybe exaggerating a reason? or what kind of reasons is it their looking for when they ask "explain why you are applying for accommodations"? thx
    I dont think the Uni cares about what your missing out on, just getting people into a room.

ReputationRep:
    go further away then!

ReputationRep:
    if you dont wanna stay at home, then why not look at private accomodation. unite have halls in most places, or if not a shared house.

and it is fair, because at least you can commute, people coming from further away wouldn't be able to.

ReputationRep:
    You actually sound like a complete idiot :/

It's not fair. Halls aren't everything, and actually, the people I know who live in houses this year are having a much better time than those in halls.

I can't stand living in my parents' house either, so I went to a uni three hours away. God forbid you should actually fly the nest and move somewhere further away

ReputationRep:
    Get a bicycle.

ReputationRep:
    You actually sound like a complete idiot :/

It's not fair. Halls aren't everything, and actually, the people I know who live in houses this year are having a much better time than those in halls.

I can't stand living in my parents' house either, so I went to a uni three hours away. God forbid you should actually fly the nest and move somewhere further away
    Haha, cheers :p: i don't wanna move uni, love Glasgow and the course im doing, it's just that a good portion of my m8's are in halls and they say its a great laugh, and a really good community kinda is built up.
    Still trying to find a good - truthful(ish) reason if anyone has any idea's could you pm me pls, if you post here you'll no doubt be called selfish etc etc. imo it's better me (doing electronic engineering) than someone doing media or the like getting the place :p:

ReputationRep:
    it's better me (doing electronic engineering) than someone doing media or the like getting the place
    And why would that be?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just a guy i know who does it and he says its a total skive, so we just take the piss outta him saying if its easy its not worth having lol

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.