Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been told by a lot of people that my A-Level choices are very weak and I might be tempted to agree with them but, the subjects I have chosen, I'm confident I can do well in them and I'd rather get high grades in these not so good subjects than average grades in the more respected subjects.

My choices are:

English Language (not going to do Literature, so please don't suggest that)
    Film Studies (looks like a very interesting subject, and I really like watching films and analysing them and exploring how they are made and what effect they have on people and society)
    Law (really interested in Law but not to the extent where I'd study it at university because that means I'd have to do four really good, solid A-Level subjects just to study Law but because my school offers the A-Level I opted for that.
    Sociology(read up on what the course will involve and looks really interesting and I get on with the Sociology teacher well and he says I have the right attitude towards the subject and even though I didn't do it at GCSE I think I can cope fairly well at A-Level.)

I really would have liked to have done Biology or Chemistry but unfortunately I do a Science BTEC course meaning I wouldn't have GCSE Science therefore meaning I wouldn't/don't have the required grades for any of the A-Level sciences.

Also I have the chance to swap one of my subjects for a BTEC National Award in Business Studies but I probably won't opt for that option.

At university I hope to study Sociology or Business Studies.

So what do you TSR think of my choices?

ReputationRep:
    Well the only 'blacklisted' subject you have there is Film studies, so really if they're the ones you want to do I don't see a problem unless you're aiming for a top 10 or so uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Well the only 'blacklisted' subject you have there is Film studies, so really if they're the ones you want to do I don't see a problem unless you're aiming for a top 10 or so uni.
    Not sure what university at the moment as I'm only in year 11 but I probably won't end up applying to somewhere like Oxford or UCL.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Of course they're fine! Which subjects are best just depends on what you're interested in doing later on. These are the subjects you are interested in, and that's the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in business studies, why not just do a Business Studies A Level? Or if you want to do sociology, history or politics could be useful. Obviously depending on what GCSEs you're doing, and what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Columbia)
    I've been told by a lot of people that my A-Level choices are very weak and I might be tempted to agree with them but, the subjects I have chosen, I'm confident I can do well in them and I'd rather get high grades in these not so good subjects than average grades in the more respected subjects.

My choices are:

Film Studies (looks like a very interesting subject, and I really like watching films and analysing them and exploring how they are made and what effect they have on people and society)
    Law (really interested in Law but not to the extent where I'd study it at university because that means I'd have to do four really good, solid A-Level subjects just to study Law but because my school offers the A-Level I opted for that.
    Sociology(read up on what the course will involve and looks really interesting and I get on with the Sociology teacher well and he says I have the right attitude towards the subject and even though I didn't do it at GCSE I think I can cope fairly well at A-Level.)

I really would have liked to have done Biology or Chemistry but unfortunately I do a Science BTEC course meaning I wouldn't have GCSE Science therefore meaning I wouldn't/don't have the required grades for any of the A-Level sciences.

Also I have the chance to swap one of my subjects for a BTEC National Award in Business Studies but I probably won't opt for that option.

If you're interested in them then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do them. Are you sure you can't do A-level Biology/Chemistry with your Science BTEC? If you can, then maybe swap one or two of your subjects for them, but don't do something just for prestige - if you enjoy the subjects you are far more likely to do well.

For Sociology at uni they sound fine. For Business it might help to have Business Studies/Maths/Economics (one or two of those) but I'm not sure. Look at the unis you are interested in and what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    If you're interested in business studies, why not just do a Business Studies A Level? Or if you want to do sociology, history or politics could be useful. Obviously depending on what GCSEs you're doing, and what you enjoy.
    School doesn't offer Business Studies A-Level.

(Original post by d123)
    If you're interested in them then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do them. Are you sure you can't do A-level Biology/Chemistry with your Science BTEC? If you can, then maybe swap one or two of your subjects for them, but don't do something just for prestige - if you enjoy the subjects you are far more likely to do well.

For Sociology at uni they sound fine. For Business it might help to have Business Studies/Maths/Economics (one or two of those) but I'm not sure. Look at the unis you are interested in and what they say.
    I checked for a few Business Studies degrees and they ask for the certain grades obviously and then English and Maths GCSE grade C which I have already achieved.

ReputationRep:
    School doesn't offer Business Studies A-Level.

I checked for a few Business Studies degrees and they ask for the certain grades obviously and then English and Maths GCSE grade C which I have already achieved.
    That's alright then

ReputationRep:

My choices are:

Well if they interest you then you should definitely do them...But from University Admission perspective Law and Film Studies are weak 'soft' subjects..

ReputationRep:
    Change film studies to something, then I think it's fine. Maybe try to negotiate with the science teachers if they would let you do the course with your BTEC?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.