Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

High mileage VW Golf watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of part exchanging my extremely reliable Nissan Almera for this:

£2500, 2000 W VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.6 SE 5 Door Hatchback, Insurance Group 6, 106,000 Miles, 2 Registered Keepers

But the high mileage is worrying me. Would it be stupid to buy this car? Has anyone owned a similar car? are they reliable?

ReputationRep:
    Not really that high millage really 10,000 a year. My friend had a 98 Audi A4 with 240K on it and it ran like a dream. Just depends how well its been looked after.

ReputationRep:
    I drive a 1999 T reg golf with 250,000 on the clock, Dad has had it since new and still goes as well as it did when new. You won't have any problems with a car with that mileage, which isn't a lot.

Golfs are good cars, I recommend one.

ReputationRep:
    Buy on condition, not mileage. If there's a full service history and the car appears to have been well loved, then the mileage wouldn't worry me at all. The Mk4 Golfs were pretty solid and capable of mega miles without too many issues.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I have an M reg Golf with 160,000 on the clock. They're not unbreakable so don't be sloppy when examining them before buying, but on its how high mileage on a Golf isn't a problem. Also, someone I know always buys high mileage cars because the chances are they haven't been clocked!

ReputationRep:
    Are the maintenance costs high? For example how much would a new clutch cost for this car? I've also read that the timing chain needs to be replaced every 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    If it were the Diesel I wouldn't worry, I'd go take a look, but I don't know what the reliability of the Petrols is like. Worth looking for an oil burner?

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know about car prices in your area, but I wouldn't be paying £2500 for that Golf, theres plenty of 1.6's come up on my local area for well under £2000.

(Original post by Minardi)
    If it were the Diesel I wouldn't worry, I'd go take a look, but I don't know what the reliability of the Petrols is like. Worth looking for an oil burner?

The diesel Mk4s still seem to be going for stupid money really.. £3-5k it seems for a tdi with around 100k.. Probably better looking at Boras or Leons etc on the diesel front.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can't charge your sat nav in 2000 Golfs?

ReputationRep:
    If it's well looked after it's no issue, my car has 98K on the clock and still runs very well :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same car (except done 150k) and it goes wonderfully, golfs are great, get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I guess you can't charge your sat nav in 2000 Golfs?
    What as in to charge up the battery? Well it should have a cigarette lighter socket, there's not many cars that don't!

ReputationRep:
    my friends punto 140,000 miles runs brilliantly

ReputationRep:
    the vw golf is a german car so it is the most reliable car as french or italian cars are easy to breakdown

ReputationRep:
    Just looks like a reflection in the plastic.

Its not as if you are going to buy the car without a detailed viewing and test-drive first, so why worry about the car probably-not-having-a-mark in a low-res photo online?

And even if it were a small mark, I would be more worried about the mechanical well-being of the car rather than some slight cosmetic damage. Unless it has never been driven you are unlikely to find a car at that age and price without at least a few small scratches or marks on it!

ReputationRep:
    I think its just a reflection -- but as the person above says, I'd be more concerned about having a mechanically solid car.

(For example..I bought one about two weeks ago, looked smashing on the outside but we took it to our local garage for them to have a look over it and it was deemed unfit to be on the road, so be careful)

ReputationRep:
    As said, service history is the key here.

(Original post by sdubz)
    the vw golf is a german car so it is the most reliable car as french or italian cars are easy to breakdown
    My Xantia is on 205k and running perfectly, nuff said

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.