Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hallo one and all ,

I could definitely use some help/advice from you knowledgeable people .I would be grateful for some information on the social work nhs bursary.
    According to my understanding,the nhs pays the tution fees and gives the potential student a grant of about £3500.Is there any other financial assistance such as loans or other grants?
    The prospective student(my friend) is 26,single and lives alone.She currently works full-time but would leave and study full-time with the odd part-time work.
    So based on the above situation,would you be able to advice on the forms of financial assistance available.I would be very grateful for your time and input on the above matter.Thank you very much
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If she hasn't already done a degree she should be able to get a normal student loan as well

ReputationRep:
    No that's incorrect.

I am in the same situation and phoned both the nhs bursary helpline and the normal student loans help line.

She will get £4575, nothin pain towards her course fees and only £1050 student loan, maybe her course fees paid and no grant.

Very few have the 3.5k + course fees paid, and in that case only about 1.5k of the course fees are paid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ahh okay, they keep changing the regulations and the last I knew fees were paid for you.

ReputationRep:
    Im so confused. I thought you get 4575 and you also get that with the aintance loan. Now im confused. I will fone tomorrow as that is completely different from what I heard.

ReputationRep:
    Second that. I've been told you are entitles to everything else normal students can get in the way of finance etc

ReputationRep:
    I knoww, so like whats the deal? Im in a total mess as i've applied to scottish unis and english unis and only just found out scottish dont give you a bursary.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been told that you get the NHS bursary and maintence loan. I think the general idea is that you would use the bursary to pay your tuition fees and then what left over + the tuition is fees is what you would live off. However you can use the money any way you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiktak)
    Im so confused. I thought you get 4575 and you also get that with the aintance loan. Now im confused. I will fone tomorrow as that is completely different from what I heard.
    I am SW student in my first year of a BA. My partner is also a full-time student so our household income is nil apart from student loans and grants.

For your info I get the following;
    £3225 tuition fees loan (so I dont actually see that)
    £4659 maintenance loan
    £2906 maintenance grant
    £319 University bursary
    £4575 SW bursary

For whatever reason, student finance awarded my partner less maintenance loan than me (?). It took student finance A LONG time to sort this out so get applying asap!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.