Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
    wt uni's do you think i should apply to
    as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
    i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.

ReputationRep:
    Any uni will love those grades, I'm sure you knew that. Plus plurals don't have apostrophes

Edit: ... oh... I thought it was 8 A*s... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Any uni will love those grades, I'm sure you knew that. Plus plurals don't have apostrophes
    haha, yea, on my iphone so it comes up automatically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    No they won't.

OP, I would advise you to avoid Oxford, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh, St Andrews, and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).

You should be fine for most places though. Well, obviously, the higher the GCSE grades the better, but there are lots of other parts of the application, so you have plenty of opportunities to convice medical schools to accept you. GCSEs are only one factor, and yours are pretty good anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham want around 8 A*s at GCSE and I think Oxbridge place a lot of weight on it aswell. Those grades are still quite good, look on the wiki for more information.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bennh)
    Any uni will love those grades
    I doubt you'd get an interview at oxford, say, and some other med schools have ridiculous requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, if you are applying to medicine, then it is only oxbridge and birmingham that seem to have some sort of quote for gcse's.
    Aslong as you get pretty good marks in your AS's you should be fine for almost anywhere else as far as i know.
    The info should be in prospectus's, or you get told at any open day you go too.

ReputationRep:
    Medical school GCSE requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Medical school GCSE requirements
    There is a difference between meeting the minimum requirements, and doing well enough to actually get in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JammyDodger4)
    Yeh, if you are applying to medicine, then it is only oxbridge ... that seem to have some sort of quote for gcse's.
    they don't have a 'quota', its just that (oxford at least) places a lot of emphasis on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    There is a difference between meeting the minimum requirements, and doing well enough to actually get in.
    Yes, quite.

For example, Leeds stipulate that you should have at least 6B's.

The reality is that you won't get an interview if you have 6B's or even 6A's. This year they are working on a scoring system whereby you are interviewed if you score 40 or more out of 46.

You lose 2 marks on your academic score if you have not yet completed your A levels, which most applicants haven't. Hence, you can only lose 4 points overall on your application. I don't know how they score the academics but even if you scored full marks on everything else (personal statement and reference) I would guess that you need several A*s to acheive a score of 40.

I scored 10/16 for academics and got 11A's. A friend got 11A*s and scored 14/16 but did'nt get an interview because he dropped more than 6 points overall ie his personal statement was scored quite low.

In my opinion, the published admission requirements are 'econimical with the truth' or misleading or both. For me, Leeds was a wasted application and I could have used the opportunity to apply elsewhere.

I daresay the same could be said for other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    No they won't.

OP, I would advise you to avoid Oxford, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh, St Andrews, and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).

You should be fine for most places though. Well, obviously, the higher the GCSE grades the better, but there are lots of other parts of the application, so you have plenty of opportunities to convice medical schools to accept you. GCSEs are only one factor, and yours are pretty good anyway.
    Leicester would actually be a good one to apply to, you'll get full marks for GCSE in their scoring with 3A*s, they don't even look at the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Leicester would actually be a good one to apply to, you'll get full marks for GCSE in their scoring with 3A*s, they don't even look at the rest
    It was actually Leeds I was thinking of (I think...). They both begin with "L", that's what confused me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyDodger4)
    Yeh, if you are applying to medicine, then it is only oxbridge and birmingham that seem to have some sort of quote for gcse's.
    Aslong as you get pretty good marks in your AS's you should be fine for almost anywhere else as far as i know.
    The info should be in prospectus's, or you get told at any open day you go too.
    This is rubbish.. the OP should avoid Oxbridge, B'ham, Liverpool, King's, St Andrews, Edinburgh, possibly also Bristol, Leeds, sure I'm forgetting some.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get a good Ukcat score Newcastle, Durham, Sheffield and PMS will all interview you.

edit: Three of those interviewed me with much worse GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    Soton (especially) and Aberdeen don't place a great deal of emphasis on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhijitnair)
    i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
    wt uni's do you think i should apply to
    as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
    i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.

this. is a good example of what appens to you when you waank too muchover gcse results. you become utterly stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Soton (especially) and Aberdeen don't place a great deal of emphasis on them.
    You sure?

I remember researching Aberdeen before deciding not to apply, and they said their academic score counted for around 25% of the admissions decision, with GCSEs making up a component of that score. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "lots of weighting".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dotty101)
    Yes, quite.

For example, Leeds stipulate that you should have at least 6B's.

The reality is that you won't get an interview if you have 6B's or even 6A's. This year they are working on a scoring system whereby you are interviewed if you score 40 or more out of 46.

You lose 2 marks on your academic score if you have not yet completed your A levels, which most applicants haven't. Hence, you can only lose 4 points overall on your application. I don't know how they score the academics but even if you scored full marks on everything else (personal statement and reference) I would guess that you need several A*s to acheive a score of 40.

In my opinion, the published admission requirements are 'econimical with the truth' or misleading or both. For me, Leeds was a wasted application and I could have used the opportunity to apply elsewhere.

I daresay the same could be said for other universities.
    'ow arrogant you are to fink that your guess is better informed than a med school website.

ReputationRep:
    haha very funny

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.