Turn on thread page Beta

which uni's dont place a lot of weightage on gcse's watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Barts :yes: as long as the ukcat is relatively high.

Kings depending on Ukcat aswell. One boy got an interview with only one A* in this current cycle. (I think his ukcat was like 712.5/715).

Southampton, PMS, Keele, UCL ( with good Bmat).

I don't really know much information on the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    This is rubbish.. the OP should avoid Oxbridge, B'ham, Liverpool, King's, St Andrews, Edinburgh, possibly also Bristol, Leeds, sure I'm forgetting some.
    Indeed, birmingham and oxbridge just the only ones i knew of, which i believe i said.
    I was just basing that on someone in my year who had the same grades at GCSE, and has managed to get responses from 3 of his 5 choices so far, one of them i believe being liverpool.
    He did however do very well in his AS's, and also in interviews situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyDodger4)
    Indeed, birmingham and oxbridge just the only ones i knew of, which i believe i said.
    I was just basing that on someone in my year who had the same grades at GCSE, and has managed to get responses from 3 of his 5 choices so far, one of them i believe being liverpool.
    He did however do very well in his AS's, and also in interviews situations.
    3 of 5? You can only apply to 4 :p:

I might actually be wrong about L'pool, never wanted to go to the place personally so OP you should double check that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    3 of 5? You can only apply to 4 :p:

I might actually be wrong about L'pool, never wanted to go to the place personally so OP you should double check that.
    Haha, you got me there to be fair! You can tell I didn't apply for it...thought about it, but didn't!
    I think another was Cardiff, although, i went to the open day there, and they seemed to stress that GCSE's had quite a bearing on any offer.

ReputationRep:
    what about dundee glasgow. their gcse requierments are low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    'ow arrogant you are to fink that your guess is better informed than a med school website.
    In the feedback they don't tell you how they score the academics. 11As = 10, 11A*'s = 14. Somewhere imbetween (ie several A*s) = 12 isn't an unreasonable guesstimate.

Understand now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhijitnair)
    i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
    wt uni's do you think i should apply to
    as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
    i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.
    Liverpool score As and A*s the same - ie they would get the same amount of points...

so you would be scored the same as someone who got 12A*s

(they might only take the top 8 though?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    No they won't.

OP, I would advise you to avoid Oxford, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Edinburgh, St Andrews, and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).

You should be fine for most places though. Well, obviously, the higher the GCSE grades the better, but there are lots of other parts of the application, so you have plenty of opportunities to convice medical schools to accept you. GCSEs are only one factor, and yours are pretty good anyway.
    THIS!
    And Kings unless you have a very good UKCAT eg 700 and over.
    I have pretty much exactly the same GCSE's as you and have got 3 interviews so far! You won't be disadvantaged.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Muddy91)
    Liverpool score As and A*s the same - ie they would get the same amount of points...

so you would be scored the same as someone who got 12A*s

(they might only take the top 8 though?)
    really? that's interesting - oxford does the opposite - scoring A the same as a F.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dotty101)
    In the feedback they don't tell you how they score the academics. 11As = 10, 11A*'s = 14. Somewhere imbetween (ie several A*s) = 12 isn't an unreasonable guesstimate.

Understand now?
    it was understood 1st time, macca.

the only fing i've not understood is why you misinterpreted the point i was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    really? that's interesting - oxford does the opposite - scoring A the same as a F.
    Is that because oxford do it on percentage of A*s, regardless of what you got in your other grades?

ReputationRep:
    Do not apply to

Birmingham
    Oxford

Think very carefully before applying to

Edinburgh
    St Andrews
    Leeds
    Kings College London

Otherwise you're good to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overclocked)
    Do not apply to

Birmingham
    Oxford

Think very carefully before applying to

Edinburgh
    St Andrews
    Leeds
    Kings College London

Otherwise you're good to go!
    Well, more places than that will take GCSEs into account above the minimum requirements, but they would just have to accept that they will be a bit disadvantaged when they're applying. Nobody has the perfect application anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Well, more places than that will take GCSEs into account above the minimum requirements, but they would just have to accept that they will be a bit disadvantaged when they're applying. Nobody has the perfect application anyway.
    Spose but those places are especially GCSE heavy especially Birmingham and Ox.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Muddy91)
    Is that because oxford do it on percentage of A*s, regardless of what you got in your other grades?
    That is what i am referring to, yes. Of course, after interviews are held then overall grades may be considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    and a couple of others (perhaps Leicester? can't remember if it's them I'm thinking of).
    Nah OP would be ok with Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Nah OP would be ok with Leicester
    Yeah, turns out I was thinking of Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhijitnair)
    i got 4 A*'s and 8 A's at gcse
    wt uni's do you think i should apply to
    as i dont want to be too disadvantaged by my gcse's
    i think this will be good advice for other medical applicant who have got modest gcse's.
    :lolwut:

Don't talk wet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    This is rubbish.. the OP should avoid Oxbridge, B'ham, Liverpool, King's, St Andrews, Edinburgh, possibly also Bristol, Leeds, sure I'm forgetting some.
    liverpool? i thought they scored A* and A's the same, so why would they be too concerned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dotty101)

I scored 10/16 for academics and got 11A's. A friend got 11A*s and scored 14/16 but did'nt get an interview because he dropped more than 6 points overall ie his personal statement was scored quite low.
    Was the only difference in academics between your application and your friends the number of A*s at GCSEs? I'm interested in applying for Leeds but only have 5 A*s and 5 As and don't want to waste and application slot. Does anyone know if most universitys rank candidates GCSEs scores on % A* or number of As and A*s. Would the OP be ranked higher than me despite having one less A*?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.