Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Currently Im in the first year of university and we are about to look for accommodation for the next year.However, Ive come across this thing called "half of the rent during the summer if youre not there".I definitely wont be in Manchester and I find it pointless paying for a flat which im not even using.

So my question is,is there any chance to find a place where they wont ask you to pay anything during summer?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of this.

A letting agency or landlord wouldn't be running a very good business if they are giving away a flat for free!

Either find a let that starts nearer the start of term, or suck it up and pay for the summer like most others.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking in Manchester, have a look at Beech Properties (http://www.letting-agents-uk.org.uk/agent.asp?id=1206). Contracts start in September, and they have said that they can find someone to take your room the following summer, so you don't have to pay the last two months rent.

ReputationRep:
    You are unlikely to get anything much better than half rent. Some landlords make you pay full rent, some want a summer retainer, but I've never spoken to a landlord who wants a summer retainer. It's normal. Besides, what if you want to move in before 1st Sept, or one of your housemates does, or they want a summer job and to live there then? Circumstances change. Besides, it's easier to take big things you don't need at home e.g. TV, crockery across Manchester on 30th June than take it home, find somewhere for it then bring it all the way back.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said landlords rarely cut rent to half never mind letting you away with no rent. If they do compare the rent with similar properties. Those landlords that offer half rent or whatever usually do so for one of two reasons: their flat is in poor condition or far away from universities so less desirable to students, or they make up for the 2 months summer rent/half rent by charging more during the rest of the year/finding silly reasons to keep your deposit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxPP)
    As others have said landlords rarely cut rent to half never mind letting you away with no rent. If they do compare the rent with similar properties. Those landlords that offer half rent or whatever usually do so for one of two reasons: their flat is in poor condition or far away from universities so less desirable to students, or they make up for the 2 months summer rent/half rent by charging more during the rest of the year/finding silly reasons to keep your deposit.
    OP, I wouldn't listen to any of this, except that landlords won't let you have no rent. Most landlords offer half rent during the summer if the contracts start in July, because a lot of student won't move in until September so they won't have as much work to do with the houses. And they don't charge more during the rest of the year or keep deposits unnecessarily. That's what it's like in Manchester and a lot of other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Katherine.)
    OP, I wouldn't listen to any of this, except that landlords won't let you have no rent. Most landlords offer half rent during the summer if the contracts start in July, because a lot of student won't move in until September so they won't have as much work to do with the houses.
    Landlords (and letting agencies) need to make money from their properties, the fact that some students aren't around doesn't really enter into it which is why the vast majority of contracts are for 1 year.

(Original post by .Katherine.)
    And they don't charge more during the rest of the year or keep deposits unnecessarily. That's what it's like in Manchester and a lot of other places.
    And you know this how? Unless you have experience in property how do you know that a landlord is charging £220 for a room that is worth £200 (I know value is subjective).
    I know of three letting agencies, including one in Manchester that do this, recovering the cost in lost rent during the summer over the rest of the year. Usually this is when they are renovating over the summer. I know of a former student who has done this on property they have owned. Many unions/SRCs gives similar advice that you may be getting less for your money if you enter into such agreements. (again including Manchester)

I wasn't suggesting that the OP should avoid at all costs just that you don't normally get something for nothing and there is a high correlation with unconventional/uncommon tenancies and unscrupulous behaviour (including unfairly withholding deposits, which is unfortunately rife among student tenants for several reasons).

ReputationRep:
    I just really dont see any point paying while im not there,I know though nobody wants to pay,thats why im asking whether its possible to find something where they dont ask you to pay during summer or if there is any chance i might find a place without ridiculous summer rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxPP)
    Landlords (and letting agencies) need to make money from their properties, the fact that some students aren't around doesn't really enter into it which is why the vast majority of contracts are for 1 year.

And you know this how? Unless you have experience in property how do you know that a landlord is charging £220 for a room that is worth £200 (I know value is subjective).
    I know of three letting agencies, including one in Manchester that do this, recovering the cost in lost rent during the summer over the rest of the year. Usually this is when they are renovating over the summer. I know of a former student who has done this on property they have owned. Many unions/SRCs gives similar advice that you may be getting less for your money if you enter into such agreements. (again including Manchester)

I wasn't suggesting that the OP should avoid at all costs just that you don't normally get something for nothing and there is a high correlation with unconventional/uncommon tenancies and unscrupulous behaviour (including unfairly withholding deposits, which is unfortunately rife among student tenants for several reasons).
    The fact that students aren't around means that there is no work involved with the houses, like sending people out to fix things etc. which saves money anyway.
    I know they don't charge extra for the rest of the year because the prices for those who don't have summer rent or half rent and those who do are the same for the same kind of houses... It's just common sense.

ReputationRep:
    It's very much a supply and demand thing whether landlords charge summer retainers/half rent/full rent/nothing over the summer. If you live somewhere where there are plenty of nice houses and where few people are expected to pay over the summer, then a landlord asking for half rent looks pretty mean. If you live in an area where paying full rent is the norm, then a landlord asking for only half rent appears positively generous. In areas where properties would also be attractive to non-students, I'd say it would be particularly likely that landlords would want to be paid year-round, since this is what they could achieve by renting their property out to non-students - why would they agree to keep their house empty for you for two or three months and not get anything in return?

And, as has already been pointed out, it may be that a landlord charging less over the summer is charging more throughout the year to make up for it - add up what it will actually cost overall, and see how this compares to other properties. In the end, though, only you (and whoever you'll be sharing with) can decide what it's worth paying and what you want to commit to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.