Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my school offers the chance for us to take the American SATs. Although I don't want to go to university in the US (at least as an undergrad), I was wondering if an additional qualification would give me a bit of an edge in applying to the more competitive unis? Or would it just be a waste of time and effort? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You are asking if having American qualifications will benefit applying to a university in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    @lafin23 - Thanks for the reply! I'm in Year 11 now, but not in the UK. I will consider it, as the school will pay for it partly.

@kevin_123 - I was just wondering whether they would have any effect
    at all on a domestic application.

ReputationRep:
    Can't hurt, can it?

ReputationRep:
    No it will be totally useless
    However, if you apply to an American private school in the UK it will be necessary. I took it 2 months ago as my insurance uni back in Italy requires it but it won't help at all your UK application, yet if you are planning to apply to the States it will be vital but if you don't it will be just useless. Consider that the SATs prep courses and exams take a ridiculous amount of time and if you want to get a good score you need to learn strategies and so forth, which is fairly time-consuming
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Canadian student applying to the UK. SAT's aren't required for Canadian applicants, but I wrote them anyway for an extra qualification. Unfortunately, I got pretty bad scores. My other qualifications are supposedly competitive. Will my SATs ruin me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumergocogito)
    I'm a Canadian student applying to the UK. SAT's aren't required for Canadian applicants, but I wrote them anyway for an extra qualification. Unfortunately, I got pretty bad scores. My other qualifications are supposedly competitive. Will my SATs ruin me?
    Which universities are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Ambitiously, UCL, KCL, Aberdeen, Leicester, and Oxford. I figured that if I'm going to leave the country, it should be for a dream school.

ReputationRep:
    Great choices! No I don't think SATs will ruin you unless if it is a requirement from one of the uk unis for overseas students, so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. There's really not much I can do anyways at this point, I just needed a confidence booster.

Where are you applying to?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.