Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm told to suggest the chemical formula for Calcium Phosphate. I know it has calcium, phosphorus and oxygen and so I think of Ca(PO3)2 which is neutral and contains all of the required elements. Apparently this is calcium metaphosphate?!

The answer is Ca3(PO4)2

I assume it's about the bonding of the molecule but I don't know why. Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It is ionic: the calcium ion is 2+, the phosphate ion is 3-, balance the charges and you get Ca3(PO4)2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onefour)
    It is ionic: the calcium ion is 2+, the phosphate ion is 3-, balance the charges and you get Ca3(PO4)2.
    That doesn't make sense? Oxygen is 2- and according to your calculations, the overall charge on the molecule is -16

(Original post by Clarity Incognito)
    That doesn't make sense? Oxygen is 2- and according to your calculations, the overall charge on the molecule is -16
    She's right the phosphate ion i.e. PO43- has a charge of -3 not phosphorus itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    She's right the phosphate ion i.e. PO43- has a charge of -3 not phosphorus itself
    Oops, didn't read the 'ion' after that. Yes, I understand why it works but why does Ca(PO3)2 not work? Calcium has +2 and (PO3)2 has -2

Oops, didn't read the 'ion' after that. Yes, I understand why it works but why does Ca(PO3)2 not work? Calcium has +2 and (PO3)2 has -2
    because phosphate is PO4 not PO3 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    because phosphate is PO4 not PO3 :p:
    :sigh: I did not know lol, I only knew about the nomenclature. But can a phosphate not form as PO3? And do all phosphates have 4 oxygens?! Is there a general rule !

:sigh: I did not know lol, I only knew about the nomenclature. But can a phosphate not form as PO3? And do all phosphates have 4 oxygens?! Is there a general rule !
    it's nomenclature therefore quite complicated :p:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphinite

Just remember that phosphate = PO43-

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.