Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeventhSonOfASeventhSon)
    The vast majority of people in my year apply to Queens Belfast, and Jordanstown (also in Norther Ireland). If they get an offer it is usually were they end up going. This is probably because we are a bit more isolated from mainland UK, and most people want to stay in NI. Also, they seem to think that Queens is the end-all and be-all.

I'm hugely surprised at the people talking about their schools have large numbers of students with Oxbridge offers.:eek: Four people out of 100 applied to oxbridge this year, and it is usually zero. Before me my school hasn't sent someone to Oxbridge in 10 years, and I always thought it was a really good school. Probably has little to do with the standard, and more to do with teachers encouraging their students to apply. :yep:
    I actually also used to go to a 'really good school' in Northern Ireland until a couple of years ago with oxbridge stats similar to yours. I now go to a top london private school.....the differences in applications are quite startling and also kinda worrying.

It shows how which school you go to influences your application - whether you realise it or not. I'm pretty sure that my old school would have made me apply to oxbridge, simply because there weren't that many people they thought were 'good enough' to get in. But my new school has so many applicants, it kinda put me off applying altogether!

I totally agree with the Queen's thing though. People in NI want to stay in NI for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Wolverhampton, but then again I went to Wolverhampton College.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds was the first choice application for many people in my year. Liverpool would probably be second place with Manchester. A lot of people want to stay near home...

ReputationRep:
    Sussex or Southampton maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Loads has gone for notingham, there r a fair number applying to Durham aswel? Then Exeter as all my friends have literally signed up there :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    my point is less people apply to oxbridge than anywhere else! so when someone comes out with it being a 'common' choice its pretty bizzar.
    But entirely possible...for example at my sixth form there were a lot more females than males...so understandably most tutor groups were predominantly female...with maybe three to five males per group, depending on the total group size. There was one form however that broke this trend and was predominantly male, with only three females. It was unlikely this would happen, but groups were very loosely based on chosen subjects...so there may have been a subject which was predominantly male orientated...or it was just random luck of the draw. Same with the university choices...there could be an underlying reason for the break in the trend with many students from one school applying to oxbridge...for example emphasis on the institutions from tutors...or it could be luck of the draw...or maybe if a small group were originally going to apply, this may have encouraged more people to try...in my sixth form at least just a few people ever showed an interest in oxbridge, like at most sixth forms...and those who attempted were generally not in contact with each other to talk about it and bring it to the front of people's minds :dontknow: as a lot of other people have said it's a lot to do with which sixth form you go to, and if all the right conditions exist all in one place more people wll apply to oxbridge :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Why did you drop out?

Several reasons really. I ended up doing a course I hated (messed up my A Levels, had a place on a course there, but they offered me a place on another course on results day), I hated my hall (it was my 5th choice or something ridiculous like that) and most of the people in it (most of whome decided they didn't like me within a week), suffered with quite bad social anxiety while I was there, plus was still dealing with depression, then I got swine flu and my grandad died without me being able to say goodbye because I was on the other side of the country, my boyfriend was one of the people who had an offer and would have gone there but missed his offer and I generally didn't make many friends and it was a bit rubbish so I decided to pack it in. Glad I gave it a go though, it just wasn't the right place or course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b1505)
    I know its the best one I've seen!
    really hope i get the grades to go there!
    I seriously concidered doing Journalism there, I was amazed at the course when I went to the open day innnn 08 (?)

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth, I guess. I haven't talked to a lot of people about where they're applying... could be interesting to find out. I'll ask EVERYONE on Monday!

ReputationRep:
    Huddersfield, its local and easy to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tiggy_)
    Heehee I guess we're "mediocre comp" posters Woo for us :woo:
    Concidering excluding Grammar/privaate my school is one of the best in the county, not good, In all fairness though, when we got some students from another school at the start of Sixthform, they used to talk about how they were expected to do well at my school, whereas C's at GCSE would do there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    But entirely possible...for example at my sixth form there were a lot more females than males...so understandably most tutor groups were predominantly female...with maybe three to five males per group, depending on the total group size. There was one form however that broke this trend and was predominantly male, with only three females. It was unlikely this would happen, but groups were very loosely based on chosen subjects...so there may have been a subject which was predominantly male orientated...or it was just random luck of the draw. Same with the university choices...there could be an underlying reason for the break in the trend with many students from one school applying to oxbridge...for example emphasis on the institutions from tutors...or it could be luck of the draw...or maybe if a small group were originally going to apply, this may have encouraged more people to try...in my sixth form at least just a few people ever showed an interest in oxbridge, like at most sixth forms...and those who attempted were generally not in contact with each other to talk about it and bring it to the front of people's minds :dontknow: as a lot of other people have said it's a lot to do with which sixth form you go to, and if all the right conditions exist all in one place more people wll apply to oxbridge :p:

haha ok ok not disputing that... i was surprised to hear it all the same, though. besides, im not sure about the validaty of this kind of claim on TSR anyway. unless o/c you got to the traditional oxbridge-wannabe schools, in which case i'd be more inclined to believe it, but not entirely convinced.

ReputationRep:
    leeds and manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeventhSonOfASeventhSon)
    I'm hugely surprised at the people talking about their schools have large numbers of students with Oxbridge offers.:eek: Four people out of 100 applied to oxbridge this year, and it is usually zero. Four is a comparatively large number. I got an offer, but the rest got rejected unfortunately. Before me my school hasn't sent someone to Oxbridge in 10 years, and I always thought it was a really good school. Probably has little to do with the standard, and more to do with teachers encouraging their students to apply. :yep:
    Agree, it's a bit of a different situation here but I definitely get it - my school put about 20-25 people through the Oxbridge "possible applicants" scheme, where they take them away to go to lectures/seminars and go over their application (I was in it, but I take Media :p: and I really didn't fancy the courses). Out of those, about 15 people dropped out of the scheme and the rest put in applications-I know at least six have been rejected, not sure about the others. The sixth form is really good (and relatively strict) though, it's more about the fact that you get put into the scheme with everyone else arbitarily dependent on GCSE grades, they just want SOMEONE to go to Oxbridge each year and they usually succeed in that. They told us at the start that 50% of the people from our sixth form who apply have got a place every year, so I suppose we're letting the side down this year :p: I thought ten people even applying was pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to accept a group, with my place (perhaps behind the couple of local unis like Leeds etc) it's probably Oxbridge that's ~ most popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMV)
    Concidering excluding Grammar/privaate my school is one of the best in the county, not good, In all fairness though, when we got some students from another school at the start of Sixthform, they used to talk about how they were expected to do well at my school, whereas C's at GCSE would do there.
    Wow okay, flying the mediocre comp flag all on my own then...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth, i think

except 2 people at Durham, nobody at my school in my year is at any of the universities i've applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tiggy_)
    Wow okay, flying the mediocre comp flag all on my own then...:rolleyes:
    No your not.
    we've just been mislead alot.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    haha ok ok not disputing that... i was surprised to hear it all the same, though. besides, im not sure about the validaty of this kind of claim on TSR anyway. unless o/c you got to the traditional oxbridge-wannabe schools, in which case i'd be more inclined to believe it, but not entirely convinced.
    Well ye I'll give you that :giggle: think it's one for the unlikely but possible pile :yep:

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.