The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's not to get us out of recession, it's to pay off government debt and reduce the budget deficit.
It depends how much raising and cutting they were going to do as to whether I would personally mind.
Reply 2
Yes. Would kickstart a revolution no doubt.
Reply 3
Conor C
Would you really mind if the Governemnt had to raise taxes & make cuts in public spending for the sake of getting us out of recession?

I wouldn't mind, seeing as could result in better services etc. Plus, I'm no economist.
Reply 4
Conor C
Would you really mind if the Governemnt had to raise taxes & make cuts in public spending for the sake of getting us out of recession?

I would.

A) Massive public debt. Even more spending is a no no

B) The government has tons of money. It should focus on wasting less and spending more effectively then just taking more money. So much waste in the public sector its unbelievable. If money is spent on useful services then I can understand it. When they're pissing it away, a billion to India - wtf? Then you have to ask yourself why is this money being taken from you.
tax - yes, im already skint enough without them taking more money off me

public spending - not really
the government would most likely blow it on crap we dont need, and most of it would go the people who cant be bothered to work.

we already pay stupid amounts and the services we pay for (nhs) that are not very good at that, and you want people to pay more taxes. reason for the services are so crap not because not enough taxes being paid, but the fact that unemployment is raising due to lazy arse's as well as most uk companies are being sold and work base's moving away from uk, so anyone who does want to work wont be able to do anything if you have a degree, most of the taxes going to them.

It makes me wonder sometimes that how long can the government can keep raising taxes, before the working class (lorry drivers, postmen,bin men) just give up and go on benefits considering they don't have to do anything and still have about the same qualities in life.

raising taxes wont solve anything.
Reply 7
Numberone-outkast
the government would most likely blow it on crap we dont need, and most of it would go the people who cant be bothered to work.

we already pay stupid amounts and the services we pay for (nhs) that are not very good at that, and you want people to pay more taxes.

It makes me wonder sometimes that how long can the government can keep raising taxes, before the working class (lorry drivers, postmen,bin men) just give up and go on benefits considering they don't have to do anything and still have about the same qualities in life.

raising taxes wont solve anything.

Yes. But, a good idea would be to raise the upper tax bracket until we are out of recession. Then once that is over, lower it again only to slightly less than it was before hand. This way, Government has more spending money, wealthy people have an established career, so there not gonna stop working for the sake of about 5% tax rise, and by lowering it they won't feel that we take the money of those who could be bothered to work hard instead of sitting on their hole all day claiming benefits.
Ignoring the inaccuracies of the question itself, I would be incredibly angry if taxes rose above the levels planned, but thrilled by public service cuts.
Reply 9
Stupid question to ask really considering the vast vast majority on here don't pay income tax.
Conor C
Yes. But, a good idea would be to raise the upper tax bracket until we are out of recession. Then once that is over, lower it again only to slightly less than it was before hand. This way, Government has more spending money, wealthy people have an established career, so there not gonna stop working for the sake of about 5% tax rise, and by lowering it they won't feel that we take the money of those who could be bothered to work hard instead of sitting on their hole all day claiming benefits.

that will never happen once the government relies's that were willing to pay that tax increase (because were suckers), they wont ever bring it down. so yeah maybe in the perfect but government is like a leech they want to squeeze (i mean suck) out every penny they can out of you.
Taxes are already going to rise, by 1% from April 2011. It's not as obvious as a rise in Income Tax, but the rate of employees' National Insurance due to go up from 11% to 12%. :frown:

To answer the actual question, while I wouldn't exactly welcome having to pay more tax myself, neither would I have any major problem, at least in the short term, if it was a key factor in improving the UK's economic position. The proviso on this being, though, that any public spending be made sensibly, as far as possible. Of course, the definition of 'sensible' is very much open for debate! :p:
a lot of seemingly ignorant comments about the government and how it operates
Ewan
Stupid question to ask really considering the vast vast majority on here don't pay income tax.

You don't have to be directly affected by something to have an opinion on it.
I wouldn't mind a rise in tax for the people who can afford it, but I don't see a cut in public spending as an option.
Reply 15
caroline147
You don't have to be directly affected by something to have an opinion on it.

Agree.
I would be, it's my money dammit.

And if public services end up getting cut, good.

There's a very serious argument that higher taxes would prolong the recession anyway.
Reply 17
which taxes?
Reply 18
Rinsed
I would be, it's my money dammit.

And if public services end up getting cut, good.

There's a very serious argument that higher taxes would prolong the recession anyway.

Not if we increased the highest tax bracket slightly.
Offshore bank accounts exist for a reason.

If it was VAT/Stealth tax I would be pretty pissed though.

Latest

Trending

Trending