Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who here would really mind if taxes rose slightly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No more taxes, no more spending, no more borrowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor C)
    Not if we increased the highest tax bracket slightly.
    Yes, even if we increased it. It would barely have any mitigating effect, if you subscribe to the argument that high tax is bad for the economy.

Of course! Everyone would mind, we are British! It's our duty to complain about anything and everything no matter the reasoning! :king1:

ReputationRep:
    I am quite unhappy with the ridiculous level of taxation in this country already.
    Let's remember that income tax was first introduced as a temporary measure during the Napoleonic wars in order to finance the war. It was subsequently removed as the war drew to an end. It was only ever reinstated to finance wars.

Now, for some reason, governments have become use to the constant supply of revenue produced by income tax and feel compelled to keep it and increase it.

To further increase taxation would be ridiculous. What we should be doing is learning lessons from Ireland. We should be slashing corporation taxes and business rates - Encouraging business, that leads to higher employment, less spent on benefits and the possibility of greater tax revenues as well as a stronger economy.

ReputationRep:
    I Would mind! If taxes rise slightly, drawing income tax ever nearer to 50%, then they'll get the lion's share of our toils!! And for what? The NHS hospital that i never use or the state education that in places fails so miserably. And lets not forget the money spent on infrastructure. But last time i checked i had to pay to drive into my capital, my car practically fell into a pothole and i have a fortnightly duel with my garbagmen to make them take my trash! I'd rather all state benefits were removed (or just ruthlessly means tested) and taxes reduced to 10%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legiji)
    I Would mind! If taxes rise slightly, drawing income tax ever nearer to 50%, then they'll get the lion's share of our toils!! And for what? The NHS hospital that i never use or the state education that in places fails so miserably. And lets not forget the money spent on infrastructure. But last time i checked i had to pay to drive into my capital, my car practically fell into a pothole and i have a fortnightly duel with my garbagmen to make them take my trash! I'd rather all state benefits were removed (or just ruthlessly means tested) and taxes reduced to 10%!
    Vote Libertarian Party!

ReputationRep:
    According to Keynesian theory, we don't want to raise taxes during a recession. The government needs to spend money, true, but raising taxes during a recession to recoup debts just constricts the circular flow of money. Rather, we want to lower taxes during a recession and raise them during economic boom times.

ReputationRep:
    I hate tax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    You don't have to be directly affected by something to have an opinion on it.
    Correct, but you would be more inclined to not care about something that wouldn't affect you. If you were earning, and it was your money that was disappearing, not someone else's, you might be more inclined to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    According to Keynesian theory, we don't want to raise taxes during a recession. The government needs to spend money, true, but raising taxes during a recession to recoup debts just constricts the circular flow of money. Rather, we want to lower taxes during a recession and raise them during economic boom times.
    Like any democratically elected politician is going to do that.

New Labour has spent the past 13 years buying votes and now I am going to have to pay for their shameless throwing around of taxpayer's money.

Our national finances are up **** creek and it is going to be painful to sort out. So when the double figure interest rates and the increase in income tax come people are not going to be happy myself included. This is the price I pay for other people falling for the fantasies of the spin machine.

ReputationRep:
    Hack back the state. Then hack it back some more. Keep hacking until tax cuts are on the horizon eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure you could solve the entire deficit, by stopping all those stupid quangos, firing all the middle and silly upper management in the NHS, and destroy the benefits system, so only those who actually need it get it, the Govt. not releasing its control of a bank, recontrolling the railways, energy and other national essentials

ReputationRep:
    ME! They take enough of my money as it is!!

ReputationRep:
    It is always the standard response for people to naively claim that tax increases should be imposed on high earners. The reason people (usually) earn a lot of money is because they have skills which are relatively scarce. As such they have qualities that are desirable to organisations. Hence, they are mobile and can usually obtain employment elsewhere. If Britain implement a tax increase on high earners it is possible that tax revenue will duly decrease due to high earners migrating to countries with lower rates of income tax. This is undesirable both on a direct level (less tax revenue), and a subsequent indirect level (decrease in International competitiveness of UK based firms).

I'm not suggesting that it is always wrong to increase taxes on high earners, but rather it is not always a viable move.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Once taxes go up they don't come down, and everything we do is already being taxed several times over. They need to stop pissing away the money that they take from us. No more aid to a country with its own space programme and nuclear deterrent, no more war, no more handing out benefits like candy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.