Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is fair in this situation, for those who like problem solving? watch

Right my family are going on holiday. There are two parents in their 50's (Paula and keiron) and their 23 year old daughter Lucy. Thats one family.

Then there is 50 odd year old Danielle (she is Paula's sister) and her 13 year old son (martin), her 22 year old son (craig) and craigs girlfriend rachel who is going also.

They are staying in a cottage which has a double bedroom and a single room on the first floor. Then there is an attic room on the second floor which contains a double bed and single bed layed out next to each other. Paula and keiron have paid half towards the cottage and Danielle has paid for the other half. So the daughter, 2 sons and the girlfriend are going free.

Danielle doesn't really want to sleep in the same bed as her 13 year old son as she thinks its inappropriate. Also Lucy doesn't want to sleep in the same room as her dad because he snores and shouts in his sleep.

So the question is what would be a fair sleeping arrangement do you think?

Paula keeps arguing that she has paid half towards it for her family and so craigs girlfriend shouldn't really get any priority.

ReputationRep:
    You're left with £2.77 change.

Edit: Oops, wrong problem.

ReputationRep:
    Bring camp beds?

ReputationRep:
    one who pay get priority, others dont

simple as

ReputationRep:
    i count 7 people and 6 sleeping places...

paula and keiron should get the double room on the first floor
    danielle should get the single room

craig and craigs gf should get the double bed in the attic. then well its hard to say as theres only one bed left and two people. unless i've completely misunderstood it

(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i count 7 people and 6 sleeping places...

paula and keiron should get the double room on the first floor
    danielle should get the single room

craig and craigs gf should get the double bed in the attic. then well its hard to say as theres only one bed left and two people. unless i've completely misunderstood it
    No you are nearly there lol! There would be Danielle and her son Martin left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No you are nearly there lol! There would be Danielle and her son Martin left
    no lucy and martin.

but literally as far as i can see, theres only 1 single bed left in the attic
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Paula and Keiron get the double room, only solution with his snoring...
    Danielle gets the single room, she's paid she gets a room
    Craig and Rachel get the double bed with Lucy in the single bed in that room...all similar age, they can hang out together and all is good
    Martin's 13, sleeping on the sofa in the living room will probably seem like an awesome solution to him...in fact he'd probably prefer it to sharing a room with anyone/sleeping in a normal bed

All is good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Right, seen as there are only 6 'bed places', the situation clearly requires the adults to make a few compromises. Personally I agree that Danielle shouldn't have to sleep in the the double bed with her 13 year old son.

I would suggest, the double room be allocated to Paula and Keiron. The single room be shared by the Danielle's 22 year old son and girlfriend and finally the room with a double bed and a single on the second floor should be allocated to Danielle who will sleep with next to her 23 year old neice in the double bed (no snorring and they are family, would presume it wouldn't be too uncomfortable) and in the single, the 13 year old.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.