Law- would i be accepted though i don't study english? Watch

RaspberryHaze
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

So basically, I'm studying french, geography, history and biology but im not sure if i want to study geography or law at uni?
the only reason i'm more towards the idea of geography is because im worried law would be too competitive to get into, especially without english?

is this true? does anyone know if universities like bristol etc. accept students who didn't study english for law or does it put them at a disadvantage?

Thanks
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your combination is great, OP. There are no "subject requirements" for law (save, perhaps, insofar as the majority of them should be traditional). There are plenty of law students who haven't/didn't study English at A-level; it will not disadvantage you in the least.
RaspberryHaze
Rep:
?
Thanks! Did you find it difficult to get onto your law course? and did you enjoy it?
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RaspberryHaze)
Thanks! Did you find it difficult to get onto your law course? and did you enjoy it?
Sorry I've taken ages to reply :o:! I've very much enjoyed studying law; it is competitive and you do have to put the work in. But if you're prepared to do that; if you have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject and if you've done well thus far, there's no reason why you won't get a good few offers.

By the way, welcome to TSR. You can use the "quote" button to draw people's attention to your post if you ever want a quicker reply in the future.
RaspberryHaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr_Deeds)
Sorry I've taken ages to reply :o:! I've very much enjoyed studying law; it is competitive and you do have to put the work in. But if you're prepared to do that; if you have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject and if you've done well thus far, there's no reason why you won't get a good few offers.

By the way, welcome to TSR. You can use the "quote" button to draw people's attention to your post if you ever want a quicker reply in the future.
ah thank you very much i will definitely consider that path then!
dpd5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RaspberryHaze)
ah thank you very much i will definitely consider that path then!
yeah absolutely go for it! im in year 13 and did biology, chemistry, physics and history at AS, dropping physics for A2. I've got offers from manchester, liverpool and durham atm and have appplied for bristol!! Not taking enligsh will be of no disadvantage with the choice of subjects that you have. Good luck with your application! :yep:
Who'd_Have_Known
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am at Bristol now and by no means everyone studied English at A-level; I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever. Law is a subject which is new to the vast majority of students, everyone has different academic backgrounds, but they recognise that and start at a basic level. I personally took science A-levels (Maths, Chemistry, Biology), and I have adapted ok, I got a 2.1 for first year. Bristol place quite a lot of emphasis on the LNAT I think, meaning they give offers very late, I think around March.
RaspberryHaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by Who'd_Have_Known)
Bristol place quite a lot of emphasis on the LNAT I
thank you sorry to ask even more questions but also, did you find the LNAT particularly difficult? or was it OK? and also, do you enjoy your course?
Who'd_Have_Known
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found it quite hard, but then so does everyone I think! You only ever receive a mark for the first part, where you have to choose which statement fits best after reading a passage. The UK average is usually around 17/18, and I got 23 or 4, I can't remember now, although there are a few people who I know got less. At the time, I thought my essay was rubbish but since I got an offer I guess it must have been ok, the time feels really short to write it though!
I do like my course- obviously law is a challenging and it's quite difficult times but I definitely think I made the right choice. I switched to Law with Study in Continental Europe after first year (you apply around Easter and places are awarded on merit after exam results) so had quite a busy first term!
jamespro
Report 8 years ago
I'm a first year at Bristol and I didn't take English, and have met plenty of other people who didn't

I found the LNAT challenging - it's difficult to know how well you've done when you sit it. I think I got 19...or it might have been 17. The essay wouldn't be hard if it wasn't for the short amount of time you have to write it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise