History and Politics - Sheff vs Bham vs Leicester Watch

Lucible
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Before we start, I know Leicester doesn't quite have the profile of the other two but it has its merits.

So I have unconditional offers from Leicester, Birmingham and Sheffield. Currently I'm inclined towards Sheffield for its consistent performance in both of my subjects. But I know Birmingham has a great reputation and Leicester has two courses that have some great elements that really excite me (plus Leicester is a cheap place to live).

What do you guys think? :yep:

Just looking for opinions, nothing is set in stone
Wolves130
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lucible)
Before we start, I know Leicester doesn't quite have the profile of the other two but it has its merits.

So I have unconditional offers from Leicester, Birmingham and Sheffield. Currently I'm inclined towards Sheffield for its consistent performance in both of my subjects. But I know Birmingham has a great reputation and Leicester has two courses that have some great elements that really excite me (plus Leicester is a cheap place to live).

I've looked at Sheffield and B'ham and in terms of the student experience and the course B'ham can't compete IMO. Sheffield's cheaper, it has a brilliant nightlife and the course has a better reputation, especially the politics side.

No idea about Leicester though, sorry
Jeremy_Whiskers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say Sheffield, the politics department is well regarded, and for good reason.
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Errr yes it does for History

I'd actually rate Birmingham and Leicester over Sheffield for History (unless you're after massive amounts of Fascism etc which for that it is good for).

Birmingham's got probably the bigger modern history department as Leicester's more known for its Medieval history research.

Guess it depends on what actually you want to study module wise?
Lucible
Rep:
?
(Original post by apotoftea)
Errr yes it does for History

I'd actually rate Birmingham and Leicester over Sheffield for History (unless you're after massive amounts of Fascism etc which for that it is good for).

Birmingham's got probably the bigger modern history department as Leicester's more known for its Medieval history research.

Guess it depends on what actually you want to study module wise?
I'm definitely no fascist but I love studying it. So maybe Sheffield would be best??
I'm definitely more inclined towards Modern rather than Medieval.
Thanks for the help apotoftea.
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Sheffield you get Sir Ian Kershaw
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm definitely no fascist but I love studying it. So maybe Sheffield would be best??
I'm definitely more inclined towards Modern rather than Medieval.
Thanks for the help apotoftea.
It's difficult as right now you won't know what'll interest you in 2/3 years time.

Had you told me when I was doing A-level History that I would fall in love with Modern History and my specific research area that I'm applying for PhDs to study it - I'd have laughed at you and gone on about my love of the Early Modern period. Looking back I realise just a.) how little I knew and b.) how narrow some A-level courses are.

Have a thorough look at the module descriptions of all three unis and see what's compulsory and what isn't. You've got great offers so you can stop thinking about 'reputation' and 'league tables position' etc and start thinking about what YOU want to be studying on a degree course. History's tough as a subject, let alone when you're wading through 10 weeks worth of reading on stuff you really don't want to be studying.

Here's the Birmingham overview: http://www.historycultures.bham.ac.u...overview.shtml

Sheffield's is here: http://www.shef.ac.uk/history/prospe...s/history.html

And Leicester's: http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/cou...dies/v100.html

In ref to Ian Kershaw being at Sheffield, yes he is. How much teaching he does and whether you'd be taught by or supervised by him is anyone's guess. The really high profile names in the field tend to be there for research, not teaching as a whole so don't let just one name way you. Birmingham would probably offer you the best all round BA course as they've got a very big department with numerous research centres attached. Leicester and Sheffield are slightly more focussed/smaller (but that's no-way a bad thing in my own experience).

ETS: Sheffield's Politics department is very very good.
Lucible
Rep:
?
I have done quite a variety of history, not just the modern dictatorships, but it was these that interested me most. I don't think my GCSE/A Level courses were as narrow as some experienced.
I thought Kershaw had retired from many of his duties at Sheffield? If he hasn't, I'd snap at the chance to witness the genius at work I know Sheffield are meant to be great for politics, thats partly why I applied in the first place.
Leicester and Sheffield did appear to give more choice. I know that you need to have basic knowledge which Birmingham are obviously trying to push in the first year but I don't like the rigidity that it appears to have throughout. Birmingham does have the wide variety, agreed. My Dad's doing a PhD in the Historical Studies department and says he's very impressed.
What do you think of Leicester's Contemporary History course? I liked the look of it so threw it in. History is my primary passion (though I love politics too) and it would be interesting to focus on the parts of History that excite me.
Lucible
Rep:
?
And thank you for all your advice, you're so knowledgeable
*repped*
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have done quite a variety of history, not just the modern dictatorships, but it was these that interested me most. I don't think my GCSE/A Level courses were as narrow as some experienced.
I thought Kershaw had retired from many of his duties at Sheffield?
You might be right - he's too late for me so not I'm fully up-to-date with his movements. Like I said, he might be there for research purposes only, no teaching.

What do you think of Leicester's Contemporary History course? I liked the look of it so threw it in. History is my primary passion (though I love politics too) and it would be interesting to focus on the parts of History that excite me.
I'd agree with regards to Birmingham's rigidity, there's something about it that I don't like. Every BA course will have compulsory modules but sometimes unis get a bit overly tight about them. Leciester's Contemporary History looks fab - just like how my BA was structured actually with some really good options which would be taught by the bottom up method, so looking at people and places, rather than regimes, kings, those in power etc (kinda the new way of doing history). I'd jump at doing some of those modules!

Thanks for the rep and no problemo, I've been through the system so I know the ins and outs of uni life a bit more compared to 17yr old prospective students. Robert Shoemaker's at Sheffield actually who would be another good one to work under. Also, and this'll sound pretty weird, having Hallam close by is actually a good thing as their history department has some pretty decent names in too. So the opportunity for seminar papers given by them may well appear Sheffield has very good resources for History, both in hard copy and online (I've used them thanks to friends) so that's a plus. Leicester (according to a friend) is just like Sheffield, right down to campus and library style. They've also got a very good library and online resources so you've not got to think about comparing those two. Guess now, it's personal preference.
Lucible
Rep:
?
You might be right - he's too late for me so not I'm fully up-to-date with his movements. Like I said, he might be there for research purposes only, no teaching.

I'd agree with regards to Birmingham's rigidity, there's something about it that I don't like. Every BA course will have compulsory modules but sometimes unis get a bit overly tight about them. Leciester's Contemporary History looks fab - just like how my BA was structured actually with some really good options which would be taught by the bottom up method, so looking at people and places, rather than regimes, kings, those in power etc (kinda the new way of doing history). I'd jump at doing some of those modules!

Thanks for the rep and no problemo, I've been through the system so I know the ins and outs of uni life a bit more compared to 17yr old prospective students. Robert Shoemaker's at Sheffield actually who would be another good one to work under. Also, and this'll sound pretty weird, having Hallam close by is actually a good thing as their history department has some pretty decent names in too. So the opportunity for seminar papers given by them may well appear Sheffield has very good resources for History, both in hard copy and online (I've used them thanks to friends) so that's a plus. Leicester (according to a friend) is just like Sheffield, right down to campus and library style. They've also got a very good library and online resources so you've not got to think about comparing those two. Guess now, it's personal preference.

Ooh good points, thanks!
I wasn't sure about Birmingham before this, now I'm sort of leaning towards crossing it off the list.
Aaaaah I'm so glad I have longer to decide. :woo:
Lucible
Rep:
?
Oh if anyone cared, I've firmed Sheffield.
Wolves130
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh if anyone cared, I've firmed Sheffield.
Same (Y)
Figo077
Report 8 years ago
I am looking eagerly at all 3 of these options in 'Extra.' Will be lucky to have any success though...

Also repped 'apotoftea.' His help is priceless, and I wish I had the chance to talk more with the guy; get a very good insight into where is best from the guy.

Lucible
Rep:
?
(Original post by Figo077)
I am looking eagerly at all 3 of these options in 'Extra.' Will be lucky to have any success though...

Also repped 'apotoftea.' His help is priceless, and I wish I had the chance to talk more with the guy; get a very good insight into where is best from the guy.

But... I thought apotoftea was female - symbol next to profile??? I'm probably wrong. :o:

Anyway, yeah, I think all three of those are good options. I discounted Birmingham pretty quickly because of the rigidity of the course and Sheffield just edged Leicester. But its all down to personal preference. I advise you to take a close look at the overviews for what interests you.
Sheffield did say that their V100 course may well end up being under-subscribed as they've upped their typical offer to AAA from AAB. :yes:
Figo077
Report 8 years ago
But... I thought apotoftea was female - symbol next to profile??? I'm probably wrong. :o:

Anyway, yeah, I think all three of those are good options. I discounted Birmingham pretty quickly because of the rigidity of the course and Sheffield just edged Leicester. But its all down to personal preference. I advise you to take a close look at the overviews for what interests you.
Sheffield did say that their V100 course may well end up being under-subscribed as they've upped their typical offer to AAA from AAB. :yes:
Oh...my mistake. That will teach me for just assuming! :o: Still though, offered some amazing help to me a month or so ago and some crucial info in this thread too.

At the moment it doesn't look like Leicester, Birmingham or Sheffield have much up for grabs; which is predictable considering how good they are, but not good for me. With my original choices I went for department reputation and course content over location. While course content is still important, I just can't see myself wanting to be 3 + hours away (Liverpool or Southampton).

As for Sheffield, damn them for upping the grades they want! They would have been a certain choice for me, heard such good things about Sheffield. Perhaps I should have looked into this a bit more and plumped for Sheffield over Leeds, who rejected me flat out.
Lucible
Rep:
?
Oh...my mistake. That will teach me for just assuming! :o: Still though, offered some amazing help to me a month or so ago and some crucial info in this thread too.

At the moment it doesn't look like Leicester, Birmingham or Sheffield have much up for grabs; which is predictable considering how good they are, but not good for me. With my original choices I went for department reputation and course content over location. While course content is still important, I just can't see myself wanting to be 3 + hours away (Liverpool or Southampton).

As for Sheffield, damn them for upping the grades they want! They would have been a certain choice for me, heard such good things about Sheffield. Perhaps I should have looked into this a bit more and plumped for Sheffield over Leeds, who rejected me flat out.
With the distance thing, I totally understand. I went to Southampton in September for 2 weeks to start but I really didn't like being so far from home and there were personal issues to deal with too, so I had to drop out.
Personally, even with the course differences, I prefer Sheffield both for course and location - feels like a lot more freedom in the decisions you make and, on an atmosphere level, Sheffield felt far less pretentious and much more relaxed. Plus I chose Sheffield because of the leading politics department which I suppose won't be a factor for you.
In terms of reputation: The Times put Sheffield at 11th for History and Southampton for 12th so again fairly comparable.
Can't see a huge difference between those two (southie and sheff). Leeds are horribly stringent, sorry you got rejected.

Can I help in any other way?? :yes:
Figo077
Report 8 years ago
Cheers for that, it's pretty much my exact thought process at the moment!

I'm beginning to think a more 'studenty' city such as Sheffield, Birmingham or Manchester would be for me. Granted Southampton has a very good repuation, and has an amazing History department; but for me it is just too far out of the way, and too far from home as well. It might sound silly, but I would feel a little bit isolated out there? It's hard to explain properly haha! It is the same issues with Liverpool, although slightly less so as it is a big student city. But then with Liverpool the course isn't as good... All about weighing things up.

I have looked into History with Politics at a few unis, I enquired at Leeds just before my inevitable rejection but never heard anything back. I have never studied Politics as a stand alone subject, but have touched upon it through other subjects. It is something that has always intrigued me. Once again, IF ONLY I had come to this realisation 2-3 months ago! Could be sat with a very attractive offer from Sheffield such as yourself right now. :p:
Lucible
Rep:
?
Cheers for that, it's pretty much my exact thought process at the moment!

I'm beginning to think a more 'studenty' city such as Sheffield, Birmingham or Manchester would be for me. Granted Southampton has a very good repuation, and has an amazing History department; but for me it is just too far out of the way, and too far from home as well. It might sound silly, but I would feel a little bit isolated out there? It's hard to explain properly haha! It is the same issues with Liverpool, although slightly less so as it is a big student city. But then with Liverpool the course isn't as good... All about weighing things up.

I have looked into History with Politics at a few unis, I enquired at Leeds just before my inevitable rejection but never heard anything back. I have never studied Politics as a stand alone subject, but have touched upon it through other subjects. It is something that has always intrigued me. Once again, IF ONLY I had come to this realisation 2-3 months ago! Could be sat with a very attractive offer from Sheffield such as yourself right now. :p:
Aha. Well I've never done politics as a stand alone subject either but was assured that, as long as I had passion and interest for the subject, it wouldn't be a problem They reckon there is no correlation of success for those that have done politics A Level and those that haven't and they aim to get everyone on a level playing field by the end of the first year.

To be honest, I can't see you getting in to History and Politics at Sheffield at this stage - they said it was horribly oversubscribed, more so than V100 because of the lower requirements. Always worth a try I guess

You shouldn't feel too isolated in Southampton, its a decent size and not too far from London. It's fairly studenty too.

(sorry about slow reply, was expecting you to quote me :o: )
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
x
x
You're both wellcome - glad I could be of some use! Sheffield's a good uni and very good for History and Politics so a sensible choice there. I've ignored it as its too far from home and where the sources that I need are kept.

Figo - I'm having exactly the same debate with Southampton, even now!

As a vague yocal to it (it's my closest BIG uni) I do know the city and surrounding area so in terms of being 'out of it' - I guess it depends on what you're used to. The city's big, the uni's in the posh part (there are some parts you should never ever go in Southampton), big student community, decent nightlife, shopping, has a very active SU and sports side so they'd be plenty to get involved with. You're looking at being only an 1hr 20 from London on the train. Plus you've got the New Forest, Portsmouth and Chichester all within an hour or so - Chichester's a lovely city (think York, Norwich but smaller)

In terms of department - it's pretty good. They have got a fantastic History library and access to some gems of sources in terms of 18th and 19th century British History. Tony Kushner and Anne Curry are there amongst others.

Looking at your other options (and include Warwick being positive and all) -

Liverpool - isn't the most overly well known History department. There are much better out there in general terms (even if the RAE results say otherwise). One of the biggest names they had in their department is no longer there and that would have had an impact. It's not somewhere (like Manchester) who in 4 years worth of study I've seen producing the research.

UEA - very very good for US History and American studies. Again another department that isn't as good as it seems to be in terms of research and people in the department AFAIK.

Southampton and Warwick would be your best bets in terms of research, teaching etc etc.

What are your other options - extra or clearing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads