Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Hey. So basically a friend and I have applied for the same corse at uni. The min entry requirements state: BBBC with English at least grade C.

    Thats is exactly what I have. I have not recieved an offer yet. My mate has BCC and was given a conditional. He has to get a B this year. Making BBCC however he has a B for English.

    I want to go travelling in the summer and really need to earn money to do so. So i'm thinking of leaving college with a week or two in hope that I get an unconditional for this course (cause it seems pretty likely) and work for a few months to earn money.

    I dont want to wait until March to get the offer and then leave cause then I will have lost a lot of money doing something pointless.

    What do you think? should I leave?
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    What are you doing at College right now?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    That would be stupid.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Most "unconditionals" are conditional on you sitting the exam. So I'd be wary.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about money don't go travelling.

    You might not get an unconditional, the entry requirements are minimum entry requirements, they can ask you to get above that.

    What course are you studying now/wanting to study at uni?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    What are you doing at College right now?
    A HNC in social sciences. Its a scottish qual equivalent to first year at uni
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    If you already have the grades, what are you doing at college?
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    A HNC in social sciences. Its a scottish qual equivalent to first year at uni
    Well, I don't know how the scottish system works, but if there is no need for you to be there, then leave :dontknow:.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    If you're worried about money don't go travelling.

    You might not get an unconditional, the entry requirements are minimum entry requirements, they can ask you to get above that.

    What course are you studying now/wanting to study at uni?
    social sciences. to be honest the uni is not very prestigious (glasgow caledonian) - you can tell as they list a c in their entry requirements.

    but my mate was made an offer that means he could get in with bbcc when i have bbbc and predicted to pass my hnc (social sciences) and already have experience of psychology, sociology, politics while he does not...
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    Hey. So basically a friend and I have applied for the same corse at uni. The min entry requirements state: BBBC with English at least grade C.

    Thats is exactly what I have. I have not recieved an offer yet. My mate has BCC and was given a conditional. He has to get a B this year. Making BBCC however he has a B for English.

    I want to go travelling in the summer and really need to earn money to do so. So i'm thinking of leaving college with a week or two in hope that I get an unconditional for this course (cause it seems pretty likely) and work for a few months to earn money.

    I dont want to wait until March to get the offer and then leave cause then I will have lost a lot of money doing something pointless.

    What do you think? should I leave?
    So you have completed your A levels to achieve BBBC and are back at college to improve your grades? or do another subject?!?
    If your friend has got an offer already it seems unlikely that you will have to wait till march... but why are you even at college? surely if you were happy to settle with your original grades then you wouldnt be back there so ought to complete whatever it is you are now doing for the reason you started it?!?

    Your dilema makes little sense, yes it is likely you will get an unconditional offer if those are the grades you have and they liked you... they hardly ask for higher grade requirements for those you have completed their A-levels, unless your applying now with the predicted grades of AABB or whatever due to resits or whatever it is you are doing...

    And if you are not applying with set grades and are applying with predicted grades instead then you ought to really complete them, because there was a reason why you tried to improve them rather than take the year off with the grades you had to begin with!!!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    If you already have the grades, what are you doing at college?
    well i got a successful appeal through in november. until then i had bbcc.
    but i think bbbc looks a lot better written down :p:
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    HNC is the equivalent of an advanced Higher.

    And if your mate already has an offer just give it another couple of weeks, your offer can't be far behind.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    So you have completed your A levels to achieve BBBC and are back at college to improve your grades? or do another subject?!?
    If your friend has got an offer already it seems unlikely that you will have to wait till march... but why are you even at college? surely if you were happy to settle with your original grades then you wouldnt be back there so ought to complete whatever it is you are now doing for the reason you started it?!?

    Your dilema makes little sense, yes it is likely you will get an unconditional offer if those are the grades you have and they liked you... they hardly ask for higher grade requirements for those you have completed their A-levels, unless your applying now with the predicted grades of AABB or whatever due to resits or whatever it is you are doing...

    And if you are not applying with set grades and are applying with predicted grades instead then you ought to really complete them, because there was a reason why you tried to improve them rather than take the year off with the grades you had to begin with!!!
    like i said in another reply, i got an appeal through in November which improved my grades. btw i done scottish highers and i'm doing a hnc (equivalent to first year uni)
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    HNC is the equivalent of an advanced Higher.
    ...which is equivalent to first year uni
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    ...which is equivalent to first year uni
    As someone who has done advanced highers and then gone to uni I can tell you that this isn't true.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Definately don't leave college, stick with it for the experience. In a nutshell.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    As someone who has done advanced highers and then gone to uni I can tell you that this isn't true.
    fair enough.. damn teachers fibbing!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldee)
    definitely don't leave college, stick with it for the experience. In a nutshell.
    as opposed to the experience of backpacking round europe in the summer...
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    as opposed to the experience of backpacking round europe in the summer...
    Sorry possibly would have benefited from reading the actually thread and not just the title.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    Hey. So basically a friend and I have applied for the same corse at uni. The min entry requirements state: BBBC with English at least grade C.

    Thats is exactly what I have. I have not recieved an offer yet. My mate has BCC and was given a conditional. He has to get a B this year. Making BBCC however he has a B for English.

    I want to go travelling in the summer and really need to earn money to do so. So i'm thinking of leaving college with a week or two in hope that I get an unconditional for this course (cause it seems pretty likely) and work for a few months to earn money.

    I dont want to wait until March to get the offer and then leave cause then I will have lost a lot of money doing something pointless.

    What do you think? should I leave?
    Most unconditionals require you to sit the exam but they don't care about the grades.

    Stay at college and finish. It would be stupid to leave now.

    Also if you want to travel and need the money, defer your university place and work for the summer or 6 months and travel for the rest.
 
 
 
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.