Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where would you rather live and why? England or Australia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    England, because it's where I'm from, and I don't like the idea of moving away from my own country.

I would love to visit Australia though :p:

ReputationRep:
    AUSTRALIA ANY DAY! i'm planning my to move there in 5 years.

Also you should have included the rest of Britain, not just England! tut tut

ReputationRep:
    England.
    1. It's home - I'm staying wherever my family are
    2. There are no poisonous spiders, only one type of poisonous snake, no sharks, no scary shellfish or any of the other thousands of creatures just waiting to eat you as soon as you step foot in Australia
    3. I'm hot-blooded. I hate summer. Therefore, cold rainy England = win!

ReputationRep:
    England. Insects and spiders and things really really scare me. And I just really like England anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Australia is a great place to visit, but I couldn't handle living there. Their censorship laws seem pretty insane: 18+ video games are banned, 18+ films aren't allowed to be marketed or put in their proper casing, websites are widely blocked, etc.

Might sound a bit geeky, but damn I spend a lot of my non-social time doing those things!

Oh yeah, and the countless monstrous creatures are a bit offputting too.

ReputationRep:
    i would rather live in england. australia is too hot i went there when it was supposed to be their winter, i was melting and they were all weasring jumpers. Nutters all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Australia, no brainer :p: Plus I have quite a lot of family out there atm

ReputationRep:
    Australia anyday.....hot weather and sexy surfers :P

ReputationRep:
    I think Australia is better than England in just about everything that I look for in a place. However, there's something about Britain that makes it hard for me to leave it...it's a complete hole and yet I find myself stangely attached to this cloudy grey place. I guess being British makes me feel like England is imperfectly perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Never been to Australia, but it is certainly on my list of options. This country has gone to the dogs, I fear irrecoverably, and I intend to leave at the first opportunity. Fortunately, after a few more years work my emigration options will be wide open.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England, I prefer the weather (if anything I think our winters are too warm. If I can go out with just a teeshirt on and not get hypothermia it's too warm in winter) and the summers a a bit too hot as it is. Nothing above about 27-28C, kthnx.
    Scenery is more varied, in a small area.
    I was born here, my father was born here, his father was born here and so the cycle continues for a fair few hundred years - I am fundementally attached to this piece of land.

ReputationRep:
    England. I'm happy here, and the beaches in Northumberland are amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Here, in Australia they all live in tin shacks and live ten minutes walk from the surface of the sun. Neither of which I find an attractive lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    England. Because I'm British.
    That's not really a justification is it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldee)
    Autralia: Pretty racist, ridiculously high rates of skin cancer, the seasons aren't split it is just constantly warm, loads of crazy little bugs that can kill and its reletively iscolated from the rest of the world. BUT, suppose there are a few good points; its sunny and warm beaches, there are lots of job opportunities down there at the moment erm...?
    Although recently I realise Australia has been making headlands for all the wrong reasons the actions of a minority (which I commend) do not represent the majority - like all countries you have your good and bad people. Skin cancer is very high here, if only people slipped slopped and slapped.

The seasons are split but again it depends where you live in the country to how noticeable the changes are (we do have places that get a lot of seasonal rain/snow etc). Places up north i.e. Darwin or in the center Alice Springs average 30s year round it seems, though. But on average the majority of the population is coastal which means affected by the change of seasons.

Bugs, insects, spiders and reptiles are obviously located "down under" and I think we are right up there with the number of deadly specimens. However if you live in the city you are far less likely to encounter them then in the bush/country.

Isolation isn't so much of a big deal as it has been in years gone by (before airplanes and cheap flights). But I guess if you don't want a 24 hour flight back to your country that is true.

We do have good beaches and we are experiencing a jobs shortage in skilled areas.

(Original post by MathsHamster)
    Christmas wouldn't be Christmas on the beach.
    It would be weird to me to have a white Christmas, though one year I would like to experience it.

(Original post by Ryan W)
    I'm sure Australia is a great place to visit, but I couldn't handle living there. Their censorship laws seem pretty insane: 18+ video games are banned, 18+ films aren't allowed to be marketed or put in their proper casing, websites are widely blocked, etc.
    Your right on the 18+ video games though the government is currently (I think it will be ending soon) taking submission/survey from people on that issue as it has been raised a few times recently. The internet censorship is yet to be enacted and given the full go ahead. They have been trialing on SOME ISPs which ended I think a few weeks ago and are currently pouring over the results/deciding. It's quite an unpopular motion given the extend they may/could go to.

(Original post by Libtolu)
    i would rather live in england. australia is too hot i went there when it was supposed to be their winter, i was melting and they were all weasring jumpers. Nutters all of them.
    Again as I said above it would depend in what part of Australia you went to, we are a large country and the weather can be quite different depending where you are. Though as an example for me, where I am located < 20 is winter weather.

:o: Just thought I would give an aussie perspective on things posted in this thread.

On the flip side I would like to live in England.

ReputationRep:
    England, for the win. I'm British and i ******* love this place. Way better than ****** Aussieland!

ReputationRep:
    Let's weigh this up...

Australia - Amazing music scene, drink, good weather, awesome accent, great surf.
    England - No spiders.

England it is then!

ReputationRep:
    The thing with me is I always want what I can't have.
    Right now, Australia appeals to me because of the weather, the women, the quality of life.
    But if I ever moved there, I'd miss London, the architecture and being snug indoors when it's raining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    I would like to live somewhere that is constantly warm and I would definitely want to go and visit, but England has fewer nasty animals that make you die and Christmas wouldn't be Christmas on the beach.
    Like Pritnep said it would be weird to have a white Christmas. Lots of Australian's (me included) see Christmas as sun, beach and prawns.

Where I'm from anything <20 is usually colder/winter weather but a bit further south from me and you will get snow. Also it's not always a nice heat, especially here in Queensland where you get really high humidity at times.

ReputationRep:
    England.

I'd feel uneasy living in a colony knowing what we did to make it so. "Hey, I'm in a country with exactly the same culture since we killed the vast majority of the indigenous population, but the weather's nice and we have MASSIVE PRAWNS"... doesn't sound nice.

Plus, emigrants annoy me. I've met quite a few people who said during the Blair years they wanted to move to Australia to avoid the problems with this country and the Iraq war, totally oblivious that Howard was the australian equivalent to Blair, only much worse. I've never liked the emigrants who move because they want to 'escape'. By all means, leave for new experiences, but if you want to escape britain, Australia is the last place to head for. Go to China or Somalia, anywhere that is different from 'britain in the sun'.

Added to that the problems Australia has with water supply, no thanks. Any country which has seriously considered converting sea water into fresh water is clearly a country with major problems. The entire country is pretty much an inhospitable desert forced to contain life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.