Turn on thread page Beta

Where would you rather live and why? England or Australia? watch

ReputationRep:
    well i live in new zealand... similar to australia in a lot of things but without all the weird creatures... i would like to go to england but just to study. not live there. i'd prefer living in new zealand

ReputationRep:
    North Korea...

On a serious note, Australia(preferably the east coast) > Montréal > Vancouver > San Francisco.

I'd love to live in Australia but...I'm not white.

ReputationRep:
    England. Whilst the idea of living by a beach sounds amazing, I just couldn't comfortably live with their censorship practices.

ReputationRep:
    England. Australia's full of criminals.

ReputationRep:
    England. I can't take the heat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pritnep)
    Although recently I realise Australia has been making headlands for all the wrong reasons the actions of a minority (which I commend) do not represent the majority - like all countries you have your good and bad people. Skin cancer is very high here, if only people slipped slopped and slapped.

The seasons are split but again it depends where you live in the country to how noticeable the changes are (we do have places that get a lot of seasonal rain/snow etc). Places up north i.e. Darwin or in the center Alice Springs average 30s year round it seems, though. But on average the majority of the population is coastal which means affected by the change of seasons.

Bugs, insects, spiders and reptiles are obviously located "down under" and I think we are right up there with the number of deadly specimens. However if you live in the city you are far less likely to encounter them then in the bush/country.

Isolation isn't so much of a big deal as it has been in years gone by (before airplanes and cheap flights). But I guess if you don't want a 24 hour flight back to your country that is true.

We do have good beaches and we are experiencing a jobs shortage in skilled areas.

It would be weird to me to have a white Christmas, though one year I would like to experience it.

Your right on the 18+ video games though the government is currently (I think it will be ending soon) taking submission/survey from people on that issue as it has been raised a few times recently. The internet censorship is yet to be enacted and given the full go ahead. They have been trialing on SOME ISPs which ended I think a few weeks ago and are currently pouring over the results/deciding. It's quite an unpopular motion given the extend they may/could go to.

Again as I said above it would depend in what part of Australia you went to, we are a large country and the weather can be quite different depending where you are. Though as an example for me, where I am located < 20 is winter weather.

:o: Just thought I would give an aussie perspective on things posted in this thread.

On the flip side I would like to live in England.
    don't move here then, i live on the south east coast which in winter is mild compared to everywhere else and it still gets in the minus in the winter and w=i'm on the sea. london gets colders and up north freezes.

Just as a warning don't go to scotland if you do move here, this winter northern scotland had -14 or something.

ReputationRep:
    It would have to be England. I would hate having Christmas in the Summer, and having no change in seasons.

England, the government isn't run by a bunch of 1600s franciscan monks who are scared of sex and violence and also HDI is a hideously poor measure of quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to visit Australia, but living in England for me please.

ReputationRep:
    England. I like my rain and my ozone layer.

ReputationRep:
    England! Too many dangerous animals out there in Australia!

ReputationRep:
    Britain for the simple fact I like snow. If I had a choice of anywhere in the world, it would be Norway or Canada.

If I wasn't bothered about snow, it would be Australia, preferably in Victoria or New South Wales.

ReputationRep:
    England. I couldn't stomach the aussie accent. Just listening to Ricky Ponting is enough to make me want to smash up the tv. Australia is basically a big hot version of Saaf laandon. If I wanted to move somewhere hot I'd rather go to the States.

ReputationRep:
    Having lived there for the last 4 years, I'm happy to be back in England tbf.

Red dust and flies is enough to put me off these days.

It does have stunning beaches and good wages/cost of living and loads of space.

However, nothing compares to the English countryside, accessibility to Europe/amenities/good food, and once you've seen the Australian cities, they are very much like England anyway, only more spread out.

I'd go back for a holiday but I reckon that whenever you live and work somewhere, it's the same disadvantages as anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Australia as it's a much better quality of life - you get more for your money in buying a house etcetera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    England. I couldn't stomach the aussie accent. Just listening to Ricky Ponting is enough to make me want to smash up the tv. Australia is basically a big hot version of Saaf laandon. If I wanted to move somewhere hot I'd rather go to the States.
    :rofl: his voice pisses me off as well

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to visit Australia but to live there I'm not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    I came and fell in love with Australia. The quality of life is great, the weather is totally awesome, the cities are big and comfortable, and I've yet to meet any "deadly" creature. The UK is too crowded, cold and drab IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Aussie land, simply because I am Aussie.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.