Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hate my appearance. watch

Announcements

It seriously bugs me. It's not like I look in the mirror and hate myself or anything. It's just, I'll see pictures of people at a party and in a lot of them I'm in some stupid looking scrawny, geeky-looking pose with a dysfunctional smile or something. Like the muscles don't work properly in my face or something. It's so embarrassing. When I look in the mirror and try to smile I think I look fine. I wonder whether I'm just bad at pictures or whether I always look so bad and my friends just accept me.

It just doesn't look like I fit in with people. I've had two girlfriends. I think I managed to get them with my personality rather than my looks for sure. I have had compliments from them and stuff, but they've always obviously been the good looking one in the relationship. It’s a little vein but I just wish they’d, or some girls, would actually find me hot or attractive sometimes. Because I never think they do. I’m not the kind of guy who “pulls” girls and “gets with” them at parties. I don’t really do that. I prefer just getting a girlfriend who I really like. But still, I wish I looked better.

I don't know.... Just after a recent party and seeing yet more embarrassing pictures of myself, and not liking a single one of them, it just gets me down. And I don't think there's any possible way to change it either. Makes me so shy and embarrassed talking to girls I like, too.

ReputationRep:
    Some people just aren't photogenic, like myself. It's nothing to worry about. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in some stupid looking scrawny, geeky-looking pose with a dysfunctional smile or something.
    Look at all the pictures of the night, and work out how the boys that look good stand. Stand like them If you look scrawny get your ass down to the gym, it'll give you bags of self confidence once you bulk up and you'll feel more energetic as well. If you look geeky it's probably the way you dress - get a decent haircut and buy new clothes.

Problem solved

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Some people just aren't photogenic, like myself. It's nothing to worry about. =]
    How do I know if it's that or whether I always look bad though? Some of these pictures I didn't even realise were being taken so caught me off-guard looking like a bit of a spaz. And it can't be a coincidence with so many.

Obviously I can't say details because I'd prefer to be anonymous, but when I was younger (from newborn to 15 - now 18) I had a bit of a disability and I had stuff I needed to cope with it which didn't exactly make me look cool to say the least. Even without that stuff in the past, now I wouldn't match many people's description of good-looking. I just wish I could fit in better with the guys.

I mean, I've got a lot of friends and I think I've done ok considering. We talk about going "on the pull" and stuff and laugh or whatever. But I can't help thinking they're just sparing my feelings because they know I'm kind of ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How do I know if it's that or whether I always look bad though? Some of these pictures I didn't even realise were being taken so caught me off-guard looking like a bit of a spaz. And it can't be a coincidence with so many.

Obviously I can't say details because I'd prefer to be anonymous, but when I was younger (from newborn to 15 - now 18) I had a bit of a disability and I had stuff I needed to cope with it which didn't exactly make me look cool to say the least. Even without that stuff in the past, now I wouldn't match many people's description of good-looking. I just wish I could fit in better with the guys.

I mean, I've got a lot of friends and I think I've done ok considering. We talk about going "on the pull" and stuff and laugh or whatever. But I can't help thinking they're just sparing my feelings because they know I'm kind of ugly.
    I wouldn't worry. Most men who go out 'on the pull' just do it to show off their testosterone-fuelled confidence. It's absolutely nothing to worry about, some of us are better off hanging back from that kind of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    well at least you're not like this guy
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1167637

but i sort of know what you mean, i think i look fine in the mirror/on webcam convo's with people, but all my facebook photos look hideous

most the time when you see a picture of yourself that you think is 'hideous' though, it will 99% of the time be only you who thinks that, everyone else will think its totally fine

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry. Most men who go out 'on the pull' just do it to show off their testosterone-fuelled confidence. It's absolutely nothing to worry about, some of us are better off hanging back from that kind of stuff.
    pmsl

:hugs: aww OP, don't let it get you down. I look awful in most pictures, esp tagged ones where I'm making a stupid face, have my eyes closed or doing something embarrassing. And in every tagged picture there is either really harsh flourescent lighting or someone will have the flash on :mad: making my face look uber shiny and my hair looking totally greasy, even though my hair isn't particularly greasy.

Most people will look yucky in party pictures (I know I do!) and the ones that look good are the ones who go to parties specifically to pose and take pics in the toilet :facepalm2: and not necessarily to have a good time (or maybe their idea of a good time is taking 200 photos in the toilet of a club :dontknow:) /generalisation.

I know I exaggerated a little, but don't let it get you down OP.

This =)

ReputationRep:
    Story of my life, lol. Facebook photos are my worst nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Grats, you're one of most people that feel this way. Others just do a better job of hiding it.
    Accept that looks are only important in a shallow society, and not on paper.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.