Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't think of anything to say/talk about watch

I'm 19 yo male, first year student. I've made some good friends at uni, but recently I've been unable to think of anything to talk about, or say to people. I only really ask questions, and get other people to talk to me, and can't seem able to have a real conversation. In a group, i quickly lose concentration on whats going on around me, and often end up sitting there in silence. Even one on one with people i know well, and can't seem to get my brain to come up with anything, and just get others to do all the talking.

Lately, I've become more and more withdrawn, and lost inside my own head. I've lost all self confidence, and self-esteem, and tend to keep to myself as much as possible.

WTFs wrong with me? Has anyone else experienced this?

Just read your post and thats EXACTLY how i've felt this past week, im 1st year like you to. Tho tbh i've decided from monday onwards to just try and get involved with everyone as much as possible, Asking questions etc, and thinking of stuff to talk about before hand. Goodluck to the both of us

bump, i've felt like this for a while now. i've recently got a new partner and things are going really well, but i can't seem to think of much to say and it's really bugging me, i've heard from people it's pretty unattractive to appear negative, and i don't want people to think im boring and full of woe all the time! i am also like you in the sense that the majority of what i say is in question form, or just waiting for a response. i often withold saying things because i think i'll sound silly or something :\ i'm also lost in myself, with not much sense of direction or sense of self achievement, i often sit in my room alone (like now) and stew over the bad things. however, i have a habit of looking on the bad side of life, and if i take a moment to really think, things aren't so bad.
    do you happen to smoke marijuana btw?
    i'm a smoker and admit that it's certainley gone to my head a bit, making me a bit paranoid and i tend to read into situations loads, like how other people act and the consequences. talking about it really seems to help me tho.
    i hope your ok
    -k

ReputationRep:
    i usually feel much more chatty when i'm actually happy, so maybe focus on that first, try to be cheerful, positive & happy about life etc..?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    do you happen to smoke marijuana btw?
    i'm a smoker and admit that it's certainley gone to my head a bit, making me a bit paranoid and i tend to read into situations loads, like how other people act and the consequences. talking about it really seems to help me tho.
    i hope your ok
    -k
    yeah, i smoked quite a bit last term... I think it may well have messed up my head a little bit! Trying to stop smoking it now... But lots of people around me smoke, and i do enjoy it when i don't get lost in my own paranoid thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    I think lots of people get this. 6 odd billion imaginations and conversations leads to loads of ******** being spoken. So once you've had most of the conversations, what else is there to talk about.

Some people just love to talk, usually the bloody weather, what you had for tea, etc.

Try and enjoy comfortable silences is my advice.

(Original post by thedude78)
    I think lots of people get this. 6 odd billion imaginations and conversations leads to loads of ******** being spoken. So once you've had most of the conversations, what else is there to talk about.

Some people just love to talk, usually the bloody weather, what you had for tea, etc.

Try and enjoy comfortable silences is my advice.
    I don't feel comfortable being silent anymore - it's too often, and worse when everyone else is talking away...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.