Turn on thread page Beta

This is to good to be true 0_o watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've heard from a couple of people now that after 25 years your entire unpaid student loan debts are wiped clean, really?:eek: :eek3:

so I pay 9% on anything over £15,000 a year I earn? so if I earned only £16,000 a year I would only pay a maximum of £2,250??? that sounds like an insanely good deal

ReputationRep:
    No the govt changed the rules in 2006, it is now written off after 35 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamsofubuntu)
    I've heard from a couple of people now that after 25 years your entire unpaid student loan debts are wiped clean, really?:eek: :eek3:

so I pay 9% on anything over £15,000 a year I earn? so if I earned only £16,000 a year I would only pay a maximum of £2,250??? that sounds like an insanely good deal
    I don't know about you, but still being on 16k a year 25 years after I've graduated doesn't sound like an 'insanely good deal' to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I don't know about you, but still being on 16k a year 25 years after I've graduated doesn't sound like an 'insanely good deal' to me.
    This.

They are paying it back to you because, in monetary terms, you may as well have not gone to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    well it does to me too but it was just an example:rolleyes:

so it's 35 years now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    No the govt changed the rules in 2006, it is now written off after 35 years.
    Not true - before 2006 it was when you reached 65 then in 2006 it changed to after 25 years. It has not changed again since except in Scotland where it is 35 years.

See: http://www.slc.co.uk/about%20student...off_terms.html

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.