Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

At the moment, my A Level options stand like this : Maths, Economics, Media, Chemistry

How useful is an AS Level in Chemistry? I was originally planning to take a full A Level in Chemistry, keep my options of being a doctor open (I know most places now require Biology as well, but not all of them) and my country are diversifying into the nuclear field and locals with those kind of qualification are and will be in demand.

Thing is, I enjoy the sociology side of things more. I'm not sure what I want to do in uni but I've thrown around Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Politics and Political Sciences. I enjoy those kind of things and am good at it. However, a subject like History would come in useful and would be needed for some of those courses. I love History, am taking it for GCSE and would love to do it for A Level but options have not permitted it.

I don't mind Chemistry, am predicted an A* for GCSE but don't like it as much as the other subjects. However, I do also want a more science-y qualification to my name and was even considering taking Chemistry as a minor in Uni. I also heard that unis like diverse options, so it seemed ideal.

But I want to fit History in there and so was considering taking Chem up to AS, dropping it and then taking AS History.

Thing is, how useful is it? How is it regarded by Unis or employers? Could I still take it as a minor? Would any chance of me being a doctor be closed?

There is a strong liklihood that I will be going to the U.S for uni, in that case, how would an AS in Chemistry be regarded there?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Drop media for history. Thats my advice anyway and you get best of both worlds. Media is, apparently, a lot of work but isn't even half as respected as history.

But you'd struggle to get into medicine without biology if you're actually considering that as a career.

ReputationRep:
    Replace media with history, and then you can have both. Chemistry and history are both respectable with the top unis, and media studies generally isn't.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is seen as one of the hardest A levels - and therefore is much more respected. This shows that you have a strong contrasting subject to humanities etc - giving you an advantage over pure humanity students.

ReputationRep:
    With those choices, can we presume you're not even considering becoming a doctor anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italienmoose)
    With those choices, can we presume you're not even considering becoming a doctor anymore?
    It's an option I want to keep open but am not overly keen on doing, if you know what I mean? Sry if it's a little confusing but I can't really describe it better.

Thing is, I enjoy media studies and MAY possibly also want to do something in regards to media in the future.

Also, we have had transition days and option evenings etc. And the media department gave a whole lecture as to why Media is not a "soft" subject and how they have had students who have been accepted in Oxbridge and the Ivy League. They are true in that the media does affect a lot of our lives.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take media studies because uni's don't like it. Plus if you do want to do media at university, I don't think they ask for it at A-Level but I'm not sure; you should check some univerisity media courses websites and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    Hey guys,

At the moment, my A Level options stand like this : Maths, Economics, Media, Chemistry

How useful is an AS Level in Chemistry? I was originally planning to take a full A Level in Chemistry, keep my options of being a doctor open (I know most places now require Biology as well, but not all of them) and my country are diversifying into the nuclear field and locals with those kind of qualification are and will be in demand.

Thing is, I enjoy the sociology side of things more. I'm not sure what I want to do in uni but I've thrown around Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Politics and Political Sciences. I enjoy those kind of things and am good at it. However, a subject like History would come in useful and would be needed for some of those courses. I love History, am taking it for GCSE and would love to do it for A Level but options have not permitted it.

I don't mind Chemistry, am predicted an A* for GCSE but don't like it as much as the other subjects. However, I do also want a more science-y qualification to my name and was even considering taking Chemistry as a minor in Uni. I also heard that unis like diverse options, so it seemed ideal.

But I want to fit History in there and so was considering taking Chem up to AS, dropping it and then taking AS History.

Thing is, how useful is it? How is it regarded by Unis or employers? Could I still take it as a minor? Would any chance of me being a doctor be closed?

There is a strong liklihood that I will be going to the U.S for uni, in that case, how would an AS in Chemistry be regarded there?
    First of all you will really struggle without biology, you will know no anatomy whatsoever and every other med applicant offers it so you are expected to have it. You should show focus to get into medicine not so much to be an all rounder.

Don't take media! Lots of work but not considered a real subject by the top unis.

I'd keep economics, or swap it for politics.
    Swap media for history or english.

Maths is always useful, and you could do economics at uni with it.
    Chemistry is difficult but respected and useful.

If you want to do medicine then I'd really advise swapping at least one of them for biology.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I've given up on medicine.

Had a discussion with teachers today and most of them are convinced that Media is rated by unis as a serious subject? It's not just the media department that has told me that.

ReputationRep:
    They don't offer politics in my school.

Had a discussion with several teachers in school today and most of them are convinced that media is not a soft subject and is taken seriously by unis. This was not just the media department and they quoted a number of their students who had done media and gone on to Oxbridge or Ivy League schools?

They also said that by taking media instead of History, they are making my options more specific and specialized and as I'm still unsure of what I want to do at uni, it's best to try and take as wide a range as possible.

Is history a necessity to take political sciences or some form of politics/sociology?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, I really don't think media is seen as a 'hard' subject. History would be far more respected for sure! Although it depends what you want to do! Take the one you're best at or enjoy the most

ReputationRep:
    Do universities give you more preference if you have a wider range of subjects? Would "media studies" be considered a "creative subject"? Show them that I have a range of talents?

Or are Maths, Economics, Media and History too narrow a range of subjects? Would it be better if I took English Lit instead of media?

On a side note, is it true that you need two years work experience before you can do an MBA?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.