Turn on thread page Beta

Self-teaching GCSE Maths and preparing for AS levels watch

ReputationRep:
    I ended up leaving school in year 8 due to personal problems and so I missed a lot of learning, including all of KS4.

I got into college this year (I'm 16 now) and am now doing a BTEC First Diploma in ICT (lots of word documents) along with GCSE Maths, English, Science.

The problem I have is that I'm only on foundation level GCSE maths (up to a C) as that's all the college offer, it's very basic and really doesn't prepare you for AS level maths, which is what I'm aiming to do next year. The college have been very sympathetic to my situation so far, and I'm pretty sure they'll let me on AS maths.

What sites / books are there for self-teaching maths? I've been using khanacademy.org which is a really nice site, but seems to miss things here and there that are needed for GCSE. I need some other good resources so I can prepare myself and learn in-and-out what is needed before starting AS level.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A quick Google search will bring up websites like S-Cool and GCSEGuide which may be of some use. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thereugo149)
    I ended up leaving school in year 8 due to personal problems and so I missed a lot of learning, including all of KS4.

I got into college this year (I'm 16 now) and am now doing a BTEC First Diploma in ICT (lots of word documents) along with GCSE Maths, English, Science.

The problem I have is that I'm only on foundation level GCSE maths (up to a C) as that's all the college offer, it's very basic and really doesn't prepare you for AS level maths, which is what I'm aiming to do next year. The college have been very sympathetic to my situation so far, and I'm pretty sure they'll let me on AS maths.

What sites / books are there for self-teaching maths? I've been using khanacademy.org which is a really nice site, but seems to miss things here and there that are needed for GCSE. I need some other good resources so I can prepare myself and learn in-and-out what is needed before starting AS level.

Thanks
    foundation, as you have correctly realised, is a hopeless preparation for AS maths

this self study covers the GCSE A* topics you need for AS pure maths
    00 Starting AS with confidence 2008 booklet.pdf

ReputationRep:
    It is a totally different level. Its not as big as a step in year 1. But year 2 is. You want to nail GCSE if you can. If you ever need help, I as with many others will be happy to help. BBC have a maths section but I don't think its that good. I Would try and get a CGP revision guide. They are great (so is the A level one). If you put in a few hours a week you will easily cover the GCSE specification, its just getting the practice. Get a textbook and pick the misc exercises (They are hard normally so go easy on yourself).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.