Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this possible?

Ive applied for pharmacy. If i get my offers and choose my insurance and firm, but on results get the grades to apply for medicine next year and want to pull out of everything, is this possible and how do i do it?

i heard you are contractually obliged to go to your firm if you get the needed grades, so i dont know what to do, as if i get the grades then i would want to apply for medicine next year!

all help will be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out early, I suppose you could try and haggle with them to release you, if you don't think your exams went well then leave it, if you think they went well and you definitely got all A's then ask them to release you somewhere between your last exam and results day.

ReputationRep:
    WHY didn't you just apply for medicine in the first place?

Dear gawd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redfanatic)
    Is this possible?

Ive applied for pharmacy. If i get my offers and choose my insurance and firm, but on results get the grades to apply for medicine next year and want to pull out of everything, is this possible and how do i do it?

i heard you are contractually obliged to go to your firm if you get the needed grades, so i dont know what to do, as if i get the grades then i would want to apply for medicine next year!

all help will be greatly appreciated
    Yes, you can. I did a couple of years ago and then reapplied the following year. You have to ring up UCAS and tell them & ring your firm choice and if you made any Student Finance applications you need to ring them too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)

Dear gawd.
    i wasnt given the needed predicted grades becuase i didnt do too well in AS, hence applied for pharmacy, but i think i can get the A's i need, hence if i do,i want to apply for medicine next year...

ReputationRep:
    There is technically a contract between you and the university, yes - obviously if you meet the grades you expect them to honour it and give you a place, and they expect the same from students.... however, in practise you can get them to release you after results day as obviously they can't force you to actually go there if you don't want to do it! It can apparently take sometime for withdrawals to be processed so it won't happen immediately but obviously this isn't a concern for you if you're not looking to go through clearing anyway meaning waiting several days won't be a problem.

As has been said you can do this by informing both UCAS and your firm university that you are withdrawing from the UCAS cycle. If you're not sure whether you want to do this or not do not pull out prior to results day. If there is any chance at all you might take up your current place you need to keep it until you're 100% sure what has happened with your results. Once you have withdrawn you can not get the place back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)

Dear gawd.
    OMG you've got a place at stephenson college me too!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You get a letter from UCAS that asks you to reply to the uni saying if you're takingt up your palce or not, so just reply saying you aren't. It's simple and there won't be any problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    & OP, you have to set your firm before may 2nd i think, otherwise UCAS basically cancels your application. So just select it, then if you get good grades pull out. My friend was going to go to UCL and literally left it until the last month to pull out. it was fine, appart from she lost her accomodation deposit i think, but that wasnt an issue for her :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redfanatic)
    i wasnt given the needed predicted grades becuase i didnt do too well in AS, hence applied for pharmacy, but i think i can get the A's i need, hence if i do,i want to apply for medicine next year...
    ******* teachers.

I don't know mate, good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    OMG you've got a place at stephenson college me too!!
    :eek: You've no idea how rare it is to find a Stevo offer-holder! Hi!
    Are you planning on firming your Durham offer then?

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to read through this thread so what I'm about to say has probably already been mentioned. On A-Level results day, you'd need to e-mail the institution explaining why you wanted to give up your place. I did this last year, I declined Goldsmiths as I wanted to take a gap year and re-apply which I have done. So, just e-mail them.

ReputationRep:
    I just read some of the other posts, UCAS will tell you to e-mail the institution, you don't just tell UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)
    :eek: You've no idea how rare it is to find a Stevo offer-holder! Hi!
    Are you planning on firming your Durham offer then?

I know! Hi! Yeah i'm 90% sure i'm gonna firm it, but I need to go down (or up) there and see what it's like first, as my offers unconditional and i want to be sure i'm making the right decision. The open day isn't until march 17th though ...don't know if i can wait that long, haha. Are you going??

ReputationRep:
    I know! Hi! Yeah i'm 90% sure i'm gonna firm it, but I need to go down (or up) there and see what it's like first, as my offers unconditional and i want to be sure i'm making the right decision. The open day isn't until march 17th though ...don't know if i can wait that long, haha. Are you going??
    I'm around 99% sure - I know I was well excited in December when I got my offer but I've found out that I can't go to the open day on the 17th, have to go to the biology field trip! Proper gutted, seeing as I wanted to see Stevo and the biomed facilities and stuff.
    I've booked a campus tour though. Hopefully it'll help me decide.
    What's the other 10% for then (you said you're 90% sure)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)
    I'm around 99% sure - I know I was well excited in December when I got my offer but I've found out that I can't go to the open day on the 17th, have to go to the biology field trip! Proper gutted, seeing as I wanted to see Stevo and the biomed facilities and stuff.
    I've booked a campus tour though. Hopefully it'll help me decide.
    What's the other 10% for then (you said you're 90% sure)?

aw, that sucks! cranedale, by any chance? :P. There's a minute chance Exeter may accept me in the next few weeks, in which case i would have to consider exeter too. Not as keen on exeter, but its virtually the best for my course so i'd have to seriously consider it.

ReputationRep:
    aw, that sucks! cranedale, by any chance? :P. There's a minute chance Exeter may accept me in the next few weeks, in which case i would have to consider exeter too. Not as keen on exeter, but its virtually the best for my course so i'd have to seriously consider it.
    Yer, Cranedale :/ Did you go? Not looking forward to freezing my arse off doing quadrats!
    Ah ok. What is it you're wanting to do?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I called UCAS today, and they said theres no problem with it. When i get my results, and ive decided i dont want to go to university for whatever reason including if i want to reapply in the next ucas cycle, i just call them and tell them and theyll contact my firm uni and tell them of my decision. obviously out of courtesy ill call my university to tell them as well.
    All i need now is 3 A's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)
    Yer, Cranedale :/ Did you go? Not looking forward to freezing my arse off doing quadrats!
    Ah ok. What is it you're wanting to do?
    haha, that was a good guess, yeah i went too- it was boring and a waste of time in my opinion all i got out of it was an awareness of limpets. it was a long weekend.
    & management and/or business .

ReputationRep:
    haha, that was a good guess, yeah i went too- it was boring and a waste of time in my opinion all i got out of it was an awareness of limpets. it was a long weekend.
    & management and/or business .
    Aw, great. Really looking forward to it now, ha!
    Ooh cool, well let me know what you think after the open day and what you decide!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.