Turn on thread page Beta

Local disk (C:) is full...How do I empty it watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Okay, for the past few days I keep getting notifications that my (C local disk is full and that it needs to be emptied. My question is, how do I know what files can be deleted and what ones need to be kept?

I'm not sure if you need any extra information about the computer to help, but I can get that for you (if you tell me where to look) :P

I'm not usually this computer retarded, honest!

Thanks in advance

(Please quote me in replies)

ReputationRep:
    If your C: drive is full, that's your hard drive. Try deleting any unnecessary music/video and programs that you don't need, as these often take up the most space.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Okay, for the past few days I keep getting notifications that my (C local disk is full and that it needs to be emptied. My question is, how do I know what files can be deleted and what ones need to be kept?

I'm not sure if you need any extra information about the computer to help, but I can get that for you (if you tell me where to look) :P

I'm not usually this computer retarded, honest!

Thanks in advance

(Please quote me in replies)
    Well, you won't want to get rid of personal files/documents and installed programs - at least not the ones that you use. You could move old files onto a DVD or external hard drive, and uninstall the programs you don't need any more. Aside from that, you can run the "Disk Cleanup Tool" that should be in accessories, to free some space automatically .

ReputationRep:
    Delete some files e.g. music and video files.

ReputationRep:
    how big is the hard drive?
    go to my computer, right click on C, then properties. it will then tell you the capacity

do you have a lot of music, pictures and video on your computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choongsta)
    Double click on My Computer, then C://

ctrl a, then hit delete
    well done:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    - Empty your recycle bin frequently
    - Disk Cleanup Tool
    - Uninstall programs you no longer use
    - Delete music you no longer listen to
    - Delete unnecessary components & applications

ReputationRep:
    No, its simple. Open up your computer tower and look for a small silver box. This is your hard drive, a.k.a. C: drive. Take it out. Use a hammer and chisel to open said silver box. Tip the box upside down and all unneccesary files will drop out (you may want to do this outside as it can get messy). Replace the hard drive.

/problem.

I got negged for this? Nah i guess it was my fault. Forgot TSR doesn't have a sense of humor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    No, its simple. Open up your computer tower and look for a small silver box. This is your hard drive, a.k.a. C: drive. Take it out. Use a hammer and chisel to open said silver box. Tip the box upside down and all unneccesary files will drop out (you may want to do this outside as it can get messy). Replace the hard drive.

/problem.
    oh ha ha:rolleyes:

if i was being picky, there are flaws in your method anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    oh ha ha:rolleyes:

if i was being picky, there are flaws in your method anyway
    That probably explains why i need to get a new PC every time i fill my hard drive...

ReputationRep:
    i got negged for that =/ and mine is actually true. no fictional files falling out of of hard drives or anything. :dontknow:
    Although i feel for you bro, those files are not fictional. Seriously...

Try it ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Double click on My Computer, then C://

ctrl a, then hit delete
    Shift and delete is better anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.