Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am called Ruby and I am 18. I am a big wii fan and addicted to general gadgetry in general. I am currently studying web design at uni and own both a wii and DS.

But, aside from the general introductions, I have came on here to ask a rather big question. Me and a fellow student (who does games concepts) were talking the other day about the E3 expo in LA, and wondered whether there is any way of getting an invite as a student! We would both love to go one day and heard this year it is semi public.

I did a bit of research and some sites say you need buying power for computing/games industry, need to be a professional in the industry etc, but others say its perfectly fine if you work as a games tester and/or selling games/computer stuff, and have managed to go there using that method.

How would we go about getting an invitation- we are both from the UK!

Thanks in advance- sorry if a little off topic but we figured this would be the best place to go!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go to E3, you need to be important.

If you are not important, you can't go. :ahee:

ReputationRep:

If you want to go to E3, you need to be important.

If you are not important, you can't go.
    So how do you become important?! :P

ReputationRep:
    Google would have been much better place to go - a quick search found me this: http://www.e3expo.com/attendee/121/registration-faq/

And the first FAQ answers your question..

And if you thought of asking TSR before Google I don't think you should be allowed to go :p: (not really, but imagine all the students and nerds that would go if they were!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    So how do you become important?! :P
    The "easiest" way would probably to become sufficiently prominent in the press. Intern for a games magazine or write for your University paper, and you might have a very slim chance of being allowed in :p:.

But this isn't too likely and it's a shame it's not a public event .

There are a number of other such events open to the public though, the largest being the Leipzig games convention which has the benefit of being much nearer than LA (it's also more oriented towards the public). The Eurogamer Expo, Edinburgh Interactive Festival and to a lesser extent, Nottingham's game city are also all worthwhile events

ReputationRep:
    I used to write for a 'semi-prominent' gaming blog along side a friend and we both received an invite last year; but unfortunately as an 18 year old student in the midst of an exam season, I was unable to attend.

However, it had taken several years before we got an official invite - although we used to always receive the odd invitation to a publishers party or private events - particularly when E3 went through that downsizing 'stage'.

But yeah, I would think your chances are pretty slim. As someone else mentioned, you could go to GC or better still TGS. But neither are really the same, E3 is pretty much the pinnacle.

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty much impossible to get into unless you are in the gaming publication business. Apply for a job at IGN Uk, hope you get the job soon, get chummy with the ones who are going, go along, go to the ninty press conference, and put Reggie in his stupid smug face. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Its closed to the general public and only open to those in the industry so a free ticket is pretty much a no-no. If you're willing to pay about £300 you could try some kind of "affiliation", you know, if your uni has a publication/PR department related to tech/gaming. I'm not sure why you want to go though, E3 is a piece of **** now an most information can be gathered online in real time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.