Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have applied to the following programs, and am well aware of the "hardships" associated with academia based careers in the US (with UK degrees) Is this the same in Canada?

Programs applied to:
    Sheffield PhD Politics
    Sussex DPhil Politics
    UCL PhD Pol Sci
    SOAS PhD Politics and International Studies
    Warwick PhD Politics and International Studies

* my research is based on (im)migration, security and resistance, these were the schools that had programs which complimented my interests, and were still relatively well known. LSE and KC don't have an especially strong dept in the research area of interest (from what I saw anyways...I could be wrong?).

so I am wondering what the ideal school out of my applications would be best IF I wanted to come back to Canada (or at least have the opportunity) , and perhaps suggestions on UK programs.

also, can this "reputation" be subsided by a well published supervisor and my own efforts in publishing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk007)
    Hello,

I have applied to the following programs, and am well aware of the "hardships" associated with academia based careers in the US (with UK degrees) Is this the same in Canada?

Programs applied to:
    Sheffield PhD Politics
    Sussex DPhil Politics
    UCL PhD Pol Sci
    SOAS PhD Politics and International Studies
    Warwick PhD Politics and International Studies

* my research is based on (im)migration, security and resistance, these were the schools that had programs which complimented my interests, and were still relatively well known. LSE and KC don't have an especially strong dept in the research area of interest (from what I saw anyways...I could be wrong?).

so I am wondering what the ideal school out of my applications would be best IF I wanted to come back to Canada (or at least have the opportunity) , and perhaps suggestions on UK programs.

also, can this "reputation" be subsided by a well published supervisor and my own efforts in publishing?
    King's College London has War Studies department that has an amazing reputation for security, maybe you should consider them as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kajama)
    King's College London has War Studies department that has an amazing reputation for security, maybe you should consider them as well.
    Yes I have been looking into it, just trying to pinpoint a supervisor. I am worried that my topic is not supported by the program, making me a less attractive candidate,

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.