Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm relatively new on this forum so perhaps I haven't quite grasped the etiquette but something that has struck me is the way in which some people go about making their opinions heard.

What the harm in making a slightly pointless contribution; it's not hurting anyone, just don't read it! If I'm reading a thread and I see someone has made a comment slightly off topic it doesn't bother me...

If someone gives an opinion you don't like, why spend an hour trying to argue against it? Why not just let it be and give your own opinion?

I understand that this is a forum which is for students, and thus deals directly with issues regarding education but is it really neccesary to pick up on every typo/grammatical mistake? We aren't writing exam essays!

What's the deal with giving someone a bad rep (I still am not entirely sure what this is/what weight it holds) because they have accidentally repeated something that someone else has said? Isn't life a bit too short to read through 70-odd replies to a thread in order to make sure you don't-shock horror-say someone similar to the person 50 posts before you!

What on earth is the point in constructing an intelligent, well-balanced and coherent argument only to follow up with 'your mum'?

I am not suggesting that this is the way in which every member of TSR behaves, far from it, but doesn't anyone else find it all a bit ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jose1989)
    I'm relatively new on this forum so perhaps I haven't quite grasped the etiquette but something that has struck me is the way in which some people go about making their opinions heard.

What the harm in making a slightly pointless contribution; it's not hurting anyone, just don't read it! If I'm reading a thread and I see someone has made a comment slightly off topic it doesn't bother me...

If someone gives an opinion you don't like, why spend an hour trying to argue against it? Why not just let it be and give your own opinion?

I understand that this is a forum which is for students, and thus deals directly with issues regarding education but is it really neccesary to pick up on every typo/grammatical mistake? We aren't writing exam essays!

What's the deal with giving someone a bad rep (I still am not entirely sure what this is/what weight it holds) because they have accidentally repeated something that someone else has said? Isn't life a bit too short to read through 70-odd replies to a thread in order to make sure you don't-shock horror-say someone similar to the person 50 posts before you!

What on earth is the point in constructing an intelligent, well-balanced and coherent argument only to follow up with 'your mum'?

I am not suggesting that this is the way in which every member of TSR behaves, far from it, but doesn't anyone else find it all a bit ridiculous?
    It may be me and my physics-exhausted brain, but aren't you being a bit contradictory here?

ReputationRep:
    There's a few people and psuedo-intellectuals who post retarded things here, in the name of attention seeking I believe, so I wouldn't take any of it seriously. Chilliax, have a coffee and post whatever you want.

If I've got something to say I don't hold back, but I make sure anything I do say can be fully justified. If the response is along the lines of "your mum" then you need to just move on from them and talk to someone who didn't drop out the education system at nursery level. Don't take this place or anyone here seriously, I most certainly don't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    It may be me and my physics-exhausted brain, but aren't you being a bit contradictory here?
    Lets be honest, thats not really a contradiction though is it? Hes making a comparison. On the one hand, in the first situation the TSRers argue a case but make a few gramatical/spelling mistakes, but the jist of the arguement is coherent yet everyone seems to nit pick at the little mistakes made when it shouldn't really be a major issue. On the other hand there are cases where you will make no mistakes and have an entirely coherent argument yet people won't even address it and just resort to 'ya mum'. Not slightly contradictory.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.