Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else with an oxbridge offer feeling so ..weird ? I feel like I dont deserve an offer, esp when I see the 'i got 6 As and got rejected, why?' threads, & I'm having a hard time convincing myself that they haven't made a mistake, but I can't really explain this to my friends who got rejected/didnt apply because it just feels like I'm rubbing it in/insulting them with my false modesty or something.
    I keep wanting to talk about how scared I am also, but I dont think I can as people seem to look at me weirdly when I mention Cambridge as one of my unis so now I try not to mention it..
    And then there's the horrible nagging voice going you're never going to get an A* in chemistry( ) Or that if I do get in the admissions guys will realise they've made a terrible mistake( and I'll be sent home you know like the guy in ..that book about oxbridge)
    Its also not helping that I'm one of those, you know, omg she got in? How? people.

Im not a whingey self confidence lacking person (in general,) but I thought I'd put this out to see if anyone feels the same..

ReputationRep:
    Please don't feel that way! You got in because you are good at what you do; science. Everything else is irrelevant. Cambridge did not make a mistake. It costs them thousands to put someone through medicine and a lot of time and effort is put into educating medics by the tutors; the same people who interviewed you!. They put a lot of consideration into who they select, and they are obviously very good at what they do; Cambridge is ranked 2nd in the world for biomedical sciences.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you got an offer, you deserve it. Stop second guessing yourself and realise that there's a reason they're willing to give you a place! Not everyone there will be unbelievably intelligent - most Oxbridge types I've met have seemed pretty normal, really. You'll fit right in Try to stop worrying!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you underestimate yourself and are underestimated by other people. You wouldn't have got an offer, for medicine of all things, from Cambridge if the admissions tutors hadn't seen what they were looking for in you and thought you were better than the other applicants. They surely know better than kids at your school or whoever. It's also pretty hard to accurately assess yourself.

ReputationRep:
    A in Maths = not going to happen

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about that - I know it takes a while to sink in (I'm in my second term at Cambridge and it still hasn't sunk in) however, they pick/don't pick everyone for a reason and if you've got an offer you deserve it, and well done! Just concentrate on getting the grades.

Which college have you applied to btw?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - you got it because you deserved it. I was exactly like you; i was convinced they'd made a mistake when they gave me an offer. But i got here and i can keep up with the work etc. And the tutors emphasise a lot that anyone who gets an offer got one because the interviewers thought that person had the potential to succeed (i get told this often due to the fact i have low self-esteem and apparently look terrified in my supervisions)
    As for grades, again, you'll make it. If (WHEN) you get in, no one is going to look at you and say 'how did you get in?'.

Also, don't feel guilty about getting a place over someone with full marks in everything or something. Grades aren't the only thing they look for - they look for potential, academic skills, whether they'd like to teach that person, whether that person does have some sort of life outside their subject etc. Someone with amazing grades doesn't neccessarily fulfil all of that

ReputationRep:
    get over yourself !!! harsh but true

ReputationRep:
    im a third year at Oxford now. i very rarely post on this site but i felt i needed to when I saw this thread.

get over yourself. its awfully self indulgent. just go and enjoy it. its great

ReputationRep:
    also, people look at you oddly when you say you're going to cambridge?

do you live on the moon?

ReputationRep:
    When I got an offer from my first choice uni (York) I kept on going back onto Ucas to see if the offer was still there!

If you get the grades in your offer, and go there, you absolutely deserve it. I think unbelief and self-doubt comes for some people when you are so happy/relieved/proud/whatever to have got something. Maybe it'll take you a while to get used to the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbrowneyes)
    Anyone else with an oxbridge offer feeling so ..weird ?
    I watched the Graduate and now wish I were going to Berkeley instead (better weather.) I'm sure it will pass though.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was Jesus?

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of understand how you feel, as I have had the same doubts (especially the whole issue of studying philosophy at Oxford.... Uh oh...) I was also sure they had sent me the wrong letter and was only sure I had got in when it came onto track about a month later!) But you have just got to decide to either get over it, or turn it down and go somewhere else. If you weren't good enough you wouldn't have got in - they had so many applicants you really must hvae stood out, so massive congrats. Go and have an amazing time because you are so so lucky to have got a place

Good luck with it, hope everything works out

ReputationRep:
    oh spare me. turn it down?? brush the chip off your shoulder and get on with it. rejecting it will be the biggest mistake of your life and you'll always regret it.

youve done very well to get in so reap the rewards.

oxbridge is not a big deal. there is no point ever building it up as this pantheon of excellence. you are not overly special in getting in so get over yourself. it is just another university experience. you shouldnt be worrying now. leave that for when you get there and realise everyones better than you.

ReputationRep:
    We all put our pants on the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some of you are being ridiculously harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbrowneyes)
    Anyone else with an oxbridge offer feeling so ..weird ?

OP, I completely understand how you feel! I got AABBC at AS with 2 D module grades and my UMS scores were nothing outstanding. At first I felt so undeserving of the place I'd been given especially when I heard of people who had been rejected with grades far better than my own. I'm also having doubts as to whether Cambridge is the place for me, in terms of managing the work and meeting people with similar interests to me (especially partying!). But to be honest, as someone said earlier, the admissions tutors pick and reject each individual for a reason. They've obviously seen potential in you and believe that you can do well! All I can say is try your best at A Level and make sure your Firm and Insurance choices are places you'd be happy at either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triste91)
    OP, I completely understand how you feel! I got AABBC at AS with 2 D module grades and my UMS scores were nothing outstanding. At first I felt so undeserving of the place I'd been given especially when I heard of people who had been rejected with grades far better than my own. I'm also having doubts as to whether Cambridge is the place for me, in terms of managing the work and meeting people with similar interests to me (especially partying!). But to be honest, as someone said earlier, the admissions tutors pick and reject each individual for a reason. They've obviously seen potential in you and believe that you can do well! All I can say is try your best at A Level and make sure your Firm and Insurance choices are places you'd be happy at either way

Exactly...exactly! I feel like my grades are nothing outstanding either - but you're def right..(although I haven't got any insurance..its kind of all or nothing)
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chucktaylor)
    oh spare me. turn it down?? brush the chip off your shoulder and get on with it. rejecting it will be the biggest mistake of your life and you'll always regret it.

youve done very well to get in so reap the rewards.

oxbridge is not a big deal. there is no point ever building it up as this pantheon of excellence. you are not overly special in getting in so get over yourself. it is just another university experience. you shouldnt be worrying now. leave that for when you get there and realise everyones better than you.
    I never considered turning it down...
    But thanks, your posts have been really encouraging.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.