Turn on thread page Beta

when does friendly banter cross the line? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm picked on most (all the time actually) by my friends at university (most of them I've know for 2 or more years and a few who I've known for 4 years+ ) for loads of things. Stupid drunken incidents, funny/awkward moments and other general nonsense.

I just take it on the chin and shrug it off, but when a whole day is dedicated to "friendly banter" towards you, it just gets a bit out of hand. I just took it all light heartedly.

In the flat, it happens, in a restaurant, it happens, walking about in town, it happens. I'm not the only one who has done stupid/funny things but I seem to be a walking target for this ********.

ADVICE?! This **** is starting to piss me off now, having a few jokes with mates is one thing, but constantly being a ******* walking joke is another. It has gotten to the point where I wanted to throw a mug full of hot water in my friends face a moment ago when he mentioned something in the kitchen while I was alone in there.

Oh and before someone says tell them, it's not an option. Think of it as pouring petrol over an oil fire in order to control it...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're more of a push over?

ReputationRep:
    There's a line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    do random people insult you in the street? or do you know these people?
    LOL no its people I have known for many years

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them to shut up :P, I doubt they'd be offended tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Give what ya get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Give what ya get.
    Think this idea is the best so far... I do insult them back, but just not at the constant level they do.

ReputationRep:
    When you make someone cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    There's a line?
    Everyone has a breaking point don't they?

There is no line to banter,the fundamental principle is that their is no line,you lay down the line to give and must accept you have to take it aswell.
    Our forefathers laid down alot for our right to banter.
    Don't **** on their legacy.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try and do fewer stupid things. You might think everyone does it, but do they do it as much as you do? If you constantly do stupid things to be funny then people will treat you like you're the clown of the group even if that's not how you want to be treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYearGirl)
    Maybe try and do fewer stupid things. You might think everyone does it, but do they do it as much as you do? If you constantly do stupid things to be funny then people will treat you like you're the clown of the group even if that's not how you want to be treated.
    makes sense actually.

ReputationRep:
    That's what 'your mum' was invented for.

Do the same to them. I'm sure they've done something silly whilst drunk, so mention that. Every time they make a comment about you, strike back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Think this idea is the best so far... I do insult them back, but just not at the constant level they do.
    At every single thing they say, laugh hysterically for a second, then give them a stone cold glare and say

'ya mum'

(Original post by H.JJJ)
    So I'm picked on most (all the time actually) by my friends at university (most of them I've know for 2 or more years and a few who I've known for 4 years+ ) for loads of things. Stupid drunken incidents, funny/awkward moments and other general nonsense.

I just take it on the chin and shrug it off, but when a whole day is dedicated to "friendly banter" towards you, it just gets a bit out of hand. I just took it all light heartedly.

In the flat, it happens, in a restaurant, it happens, walking about in town, it happens. I'm not the only one who has done stupid/funny things but I seem to be a walking target for this ********.

ADVICE?! This **** is starting to piss me off now, having a few jokes with mates is one thing, but constantly being a ******* walking joke is another. It has gotten to the point where I wanted to throw a mug full of hot water in my friends face a moment ago when he mentioned something in the kitchen while I was alone in there.

Oh and before someone says tell them, it's not an option. Think of it as pouring petrol over an oil fire in order to control it...
    What's your actual reaction when someone directs banter towards you? Do you 'banter' back or just take it. What I'm trying to get at is maybe if you were to brush it off now and again. It's obviously not going to go away immediately but maybe if now and again you told them it's getting 'kind of old now'. This might especially work in the situation where it's just you and one other person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    What's your actual reaction when someone directs banter towards you? Do you 'banter' back or just take it. What I'm trying to get at is maybe if you were to brush it off now and again. It's obviously not going to go away immediately but maybe if now and again you told them it's getting 'kind of old now'. This might especially work in the situation where it's just you and one other person.
    My typical reaction would be to make it more hilarious which is my way of handling the crap that they bring up, e.g "at least I didn't do X" or something like that. Sometimes, its a two way street, I receive it and they get some back.

(Original post by H.JJJ)

Tell 'em "If you ever cross that line, I guarantee you there'll be nothin to save ya"

Spoiler:
    Show
    seriously though, do as I advised in my first post Stand up for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Tell 'em "If you ever cross that line, I guarantee you there'll be nothin to save ya"

seriously though, do as I advised in my first post Stand up for yourself
    I'll admit this is the best bet. But the way I used to see it was that I had enough self-esteem to poke fun at myself and letting others do the same. Guess not.

(Original post by H.JJJ)
    I'll admit this is the best bet. But the way I used to see it was that I had enough self-esteem to poke fun at myself and letting others do the same. Guess not.
    Well yeah, but there comes a point when it's just too much and it gets irritating... that's when you have to start reacting =)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.