Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I Won't Recieve Mt EMA Bonus... watch

ReputationRep:
    You weren't in school so its perfectly fair you won't recieve your bonus.

ReputationRep:
    i find it so frustrating how short sighted some people on here can be. Not everyone spends their EMA on booze and trips out. I live in the middle of nowhere on a farm, me and my family work our balls off all year and get very little in return. My parents cant afford to hand me cash so i use the EMA to get to and from school (no bus services) and to pay for things like my lunch and yes...believe it or not, books etc. I might be left with a tenner or something which goes into savings (which iv had to build up myself, not from daddy's back pocket like most of you on here) or for a trip out once in a blue moon (no-one is perfect). And to those of you who say get a job...that simply isnt possible because of location.

on the other hand i can see that a lot of people probably dont deserve EMA and genuinely are just lazy gits who scav cash off the government. Would just appreciate it if every EMA thread didnt end up with endless comments from people sulking and saying it isnt fair. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    You weren't at school. Therefore it's fair.

ReputationRep:
    TSR suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but if you're not there,
    don't expect to get paid.

Some people go to college and don't get paid.
    Life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave6666)
    ... I might be left with a tenner or something which goes into savings (which iv had to build up myself, not from daddy's back pocket like most of you on here) or for a trip out once in a blue moon (no-one is perfect). And to those of you who say get a job...that simply isnt possible because of location.

on the other hand i can see that a lot of people probably dont deserve EMA and genuinely are just lazy gits who scav cash off the government. Would just appreciate it if every EMA thread didnt end up with endless comments from people sulking and saying it isnt fair. Get over it.
    The irony here is that most previous posts weren't (yet) ****ging off the general concept of EMA. As for your earnings, the usual 'poor so have to make my own way' moan would work if not for the fact that's it's often not true that people from reasonably wealthy families just use their parents' connections to get somewhere. I'll admit to being privately schooled all my life quite happily, but that's helped precisely 0% with how I make my money and plan to work in in future - namely Computing. I do appreciate though that for people like you, you do deserve some help - but this should go into bus subsidy/etc where it will probably do more good as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    And here comes the debate of whether EMA is 'fair'.. *unsubscribe*
    This.

Every f*****g thread about EMA turns into a debate about why people should not get it.

Just answer the OP's question...

OP: I dont think you'll be able to recieve this bonus as they are given for good attendance and targets are met. As you've been off, you obviously cant have met these requirements, so I doubt your school will give it to you, even if you explain your situation.
    However, talk to your EMA co-ordinator at school to find out where you stand. Hopefully, the co-ordinator isn't a b***h like mine :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's because the BS system doesn't work, get over it like the rest of us had to. You didn't need it anyway because you weren't there.

ReputationRep:
    OP is just silly. Getting EMA while not being in college is getting paid for a job when you don't even turn up.

(Original post by Pony Jack)
    You won't get much sympathy here. EMA is to support you going to college, as you weren't in college for 6 weeks, you don't get EMA. And how did you get 98% attendance with 6 weeks off?
    Besides, you still use unnecessary capital letters and punctuation. If you do that in your essays, I don't blame them for not giving you the bonus!
    i doubt you get many essays studying web development...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-User)
    Hopefully, the co-ordinator isn't a b***h like mine :p:
    Wouldn't you be be the same?
    I don't know who he/she was at my college - I didn't even have to go into the room/office where it was dealt with (along with bus passes etc.), but believe me, there wasn't a day that went by without someone moaning about it in class, probably later to carry their grievance back to the person in charge.

OP, maybe you feel hard done by, but it's a bonus based on performance, of sorts (attendance mainly, it seems), and the it is fair, ultimately.

At work you wouldn't get a bonus for meeting targets that you would have met if you had come in. You wouldn't get a share of the previous week's tips if you hadn't worked that week.

That's the nice answer. Another equally suitable answer is:
    'Think before you type and reach conclusions because you've contradicted and embarrassed yourself in your shameless greed.'

Your attendance could not have been 98%. That's like saying I had 100% attendance this week, if you exclude the day I was absent.
    Whatever the percentage is, it's not unauthorised absence, so it shouldn't be a problem for you, unless you get greedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    Wouldn't you be be the same?
    I don't know who he/she was at my college - I didn't even have to go into the room/office where it was dealt with (along with bus passes etc.), but believe me, there wasn't a day that went by without someone moaning about it in class, probably later to carry their grievance back to the person in charge.

OP, maybe you feel hard done by, but it's a bonus based on performance, of sorts (attendance mainly, it seems), and the it is fair, ultimately.

At work you wouldn't get a bonus for meeting targets that you would have met if you had come in. You wouldn't get a share of the previous week's tips if you hadn't worked that week.

That's the nice answer. Another equally suitable answer is:
    'Think before you type and reach conclusions because you've contradicted and embarrassed yourself in your shameless greed.'

Your attendance could not have been 98%. That's like saying I had 100% attendance this week, if you exclude the day I was absent.
    Whatever the percentage is, it's not unauthorised absence, so it shouldn't be a problem for you, unless you get greedy.
    Wouldn't I be the same?
    You don't know the EMA co-ordinator at my school so you can't really comment on that.

Anyways, I think the best idea for OP is to talk to the co-ordinator at his/her school.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Without debating the rights and wrongs of EMA :erm:

You were still receiving your regular ema, so it's hardly unfair...from another member who posted about the bonus I understand you had to do extra things, or at least meet certain additional targets to receive it...and it was just that, a bonus.
    It's bad luck that you were in hospital, and couldn't apply for the bonus, especially seeing as it seems likely you would have got it under normal circumstances...but you still received your weekly amount...so there's not a lot you can do about it really :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for EMA as I get it. But why should you get £100 when you haven't been at school.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that in your position, you do need some monetary help, but, how do you have a computer, with internet if you really are that badly off?

ReputationRep:
    i find it so frustrating how short sighted some people on here can be. Not everyone spends their EMA on booze and trips out. I live in the middle of nowhere on a farm, me and my family work our balls off all year and get very little in return. My parents cant afford to hand me cash so i use the EMA to get to and from school (no bus services) and to pay for things like my lunch and yes...believe it or not, books etc. I might be left with a tenner or something which goes into savings (which iv had to build up myself, not from daddy's back pocket like most of you on here) or for a trip out once in a blue moon (no-one is perfect). And to those of you who say get a job...that simply isnt possible because of location.

Your first line made me lol when I read it in conjunction with the other part in bold.

I'm not going to get involved in the EMA debate - the system exists and there's not much to be done about it. If I was offered free money, I'm sure I would take it too whether I needed it or not (and there are people who receive it fall into both categories) so it's not your fault the system exists.

But what I can't stand is the assumption that everyone, or even the majority of people, not getting EMA is automatically rich. It's not like the threshold is that high - there's a whole group of people stuck in the middle - whose parents (and I'm not going to use the condescending term of 'daddy' especially since my mum earns just as much as he does) can't afford to be giving out handouts every five minutes but who earn more than the threshold for EMA. The way I dealt with it was to get a job, which I used and still use to put towards my savings account, though perhaps that's possible for everyone. I'm not saying I deserved EMA, just that not receiving it did not mean I was in the category of the overly wealthy.

So, in actual fact, you need to stop being so short sighted and appreciate that just as not everyone who gets EMA spends it on booze etc, not everyone not getting EMA is rich and gets handouts from their parents. There are ways in which the system is unfair and fine, while it's not your fault that you do receive the money, and it is useful to you, don't judge those who don't.

Apologies OP, for not saying something more directly related to your thread but other people seem to have addressed your question enough already and my advice would only have been to contact your school and find out the reasoning.

ReputationRep:

Up to that point, I was thinking yeah, this guy seems reasonable.

Lol at how rude of a generalisation that it; chip on your shoulder much?

Face it, you obvs know it's not right cos you're making endless excuses about it. If you really wanted a job, you could get one cos any transport cost'd just come out the wages. But you don't need one, so you don't have to do that.
    There are almost certainly people who do, though.

ReputationRep:

Someone else who understands! I live on a farm too and getting EMA depends on if we have a good harvest or not. People complain about not getting EMA, hmmm maybe it's because your parents earn enough money!? My EMA is going in the bank to save up for university. In this case though, you weren't at school so I shouldn't complain about not getting a bonus, you got the rest of your money, you should be happy you got that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolh5000)
    Your first line made me lol when I read it in conjunction with the other part in bold.

I'm not going to get involved in the EMA debate - the system exists and there's not much to be done about it. If I was offered free money, I'm sure I would take it too whether I needed it or not (and there are people who receive it fall into both categories) so it's not your fault the system exists.

But what I can't stand is the assumption that everyone, or even the majority of people, not getting EMA is automatically rich. It's not like the threshold is that high - there's a whole group of people stuck in the middle - whose parents (and I'm not going to use the condescending term of 'daddy' especially since my mum earns just as much as he does) can't afford to be giving out handouts every five minutes but who earn more than the threshold for EMA. The way I dealt with it was to get a job, which I used and still use to put towards my savings account, though perhaps that's possible for everyone. I'm not saying I deserved EMA, just that not receiving it did not mean I was in the category of the overly wealthy.

So, in actual fact, you need to stop being so short sighted and appreciate that just as not everyone who gets EMA spends it on booze etc, not everyone not getting EMA is rich and gets handouts from their parents. There are ways in which the system is unfair and fine, while it's not your fault that you do receive the money, and it is useful to you, don't judge those who don't.

Apologies OP, for not saying something more directly related to your thread but other people seem to have addressed your question enough already and my advice would only have been to contact your school and find out the reasoning.
    Okay I want to rep you and neg the guy you've quoted. Which do I do first!?

Oh yeh, should probably mention OP's problem at some point - yes. It's fair you aren't getting your bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    because £30 EMA is cheaper than £52 JSA

exactly, and some of us can't just go to mummy and daddy when we want to go out clothes shopping or drinking

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.