Turn on thread page Beta

'Students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan.' watch

ReputationRep:
    In the guide for existing full-time students about re-applying for student finance for 2010/2011, it says that students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan. Why is this? Does anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    It has always been this way under the current system. It is because they don't account for the summer holidays as you can go straight into full time work in June/July.

ReputationRep:
    Its annoying for those going onto second degree or postgraduate degree but it has always been the case unfortuanly

ReputationRep:
    I see - thanks for explaining that!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think you'll have a job by then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    its BS. my 'expenses'- i.e. accommodation, which is what all of my loan goes on, is the same for all years. its no less in the 3rd year. tight fisted *******s.
    Twaddle.
    Up to yr 3 your loan factors in the summer vac.
    In Yr 3 it doesn't - you've finished.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i havn't paid rent over the summer for any of my years. i'v paid no uni-related expenses at all over the summer for any years.

your face is twaddle.
    Most people pay rent from July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey123)
    Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.
    You can claim jobseekers which you can't do in previous years, whilst still at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    congratulations you pillock.
    Most people pay rent from July. obviously you are far too clever for that.
    Heres a though maybe you should have planned for that before signing the contract....get a job

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.