Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan.' watch

ReputationRep:
    In the guide for existing full-time students about re-applying for student finance for 2010/2011, it says that students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan. Why is this? Does anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    It has always been this way under the current system. It is because they don't account for the summer holidays as you can go straight into full time work in June/July.

ReputationRep:
    Its annoying for those going onto second degree or postgraduate degree but it has always been the case unfortuanly

ReputationRep:
    I see - thanks for explaining that!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think you'll have a job by then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    its BS. my 'expenses'- i.e. accommodation, which is what all of my loan goes on, is the same for all years. its no less in the 3rd year. tight fisted *******s.
    Twaddle.
    Up to yr 3 your loan factors in the summer vac.
    In Yr 3 it doesn't - you've finished.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i havn't paid rent over the summer for any of my years. i'v paid no uni-related expenses at all over the summer for any years.

your face is twaddle.
    Most people pay rent from July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey123)
    Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.
    You can claim jobseekers which you can't do in previous years, whilst still at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    congratulations you pillock.
    Most people pay rent from July. obviously you are far too clever for that.
    Heres a though maybe you should have planned for that before signing the contract....get a job

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.