'Students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan.' Watch

Lindsey123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In the guide for existing full-time students about re-applying for student finance for 2010/2011, it says that students in their final year will receive less Maintenance Loan. Why is this? Does anyone know anything about this?
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It has always been this way under the current system. It is because they don't account for the summer holidays as you can go straight into full time work in June/July.
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its annoying for those going onto second degree or postgraduate degree but it has always been the case unfortuanly
Lindsey123
Rep:
?
I see - thanks for explaining that!
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe they think you'll have a job by then?
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
its BS. my 'expenses'- i.e. accommodation, which is what all of my loan goes on, is the same for all years. its no less in the 3rd year. tight fisted *******s.
Twaddle.
Up to yr 3 your loan factors in the summer vac.
In Yr 3 it doesn't - you've finished.
Lindsey123
Rep:
?
Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
i havn't paid rent over the summer for any of my years. i'v paid no uni-related expenses at all over the summer for any years.

your face is twaddle.
Most people pay rent from July.
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lindsey123)
Exactly - most people's rent will go up for the next academic year with inflation and most of us will still be paying rent up until July/August/September. They also don't allow for how difficult it might be able to get a job straight after graduation.
You can claim jobseekers which you can't do in previous years, whilst still at uni.
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
congratulations you pillock.
Most people pay rent from July. obviously you are far too clever for that.
Heres a though maybe you should have planned for that before signing the contract....get a job
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (130)
18.6%
No (422)
60.37%
Not really bothered about them (147)
21.03%

Watched Threads