Turn on thread page Beta

Good products for dandruff? watch

I have a mild form of dandruff and despite using anti-dandruff shampoo, it doesn't seem to be going. I am wanting to find out if anyone knows of any products I can use to help combat dandruff?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nizoral, a bit expensive but not bad. Polytar works well, but smells pretty bad, Alphosyl (sp?) aint bad, and doesnt smell quite so bad - these are generally reserved for the tough stuff. Eeerm, you could try hydrating your scalp too with some emollient such as oilatum/oilatum bath mix. End of the day, go see your doctor. I also hear that Neutrogena does a good anti dandruff shampoo - Ive never tried it, but I hear good things about it. Its also pretty pricey, and Im drunk.....

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you haven't tried it, head and shoulders has always worked wonders for me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    boots build-up shampoo apparently works pretty well, quite cheap too

ReputationRep:
    I used a bar shampoo from lush for my dandruff and it worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Keeping hydrated as well, I sometimes find when I haven't had a drink for a while my scalp gets dry and irritable.

ReputationRep:
    Heard that putting few drops of olive oil into the shampoo worked on people.

ReputationRep:
    I found that all medicated shampoos made it worse so i mixed a little tea tree oil in with my usual shampoo and it cleared up. Don't apply it neat though and test it on a smaller patch of skin first to make sure you're not allergic.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...=1214921923791

would adding this to my shampoo work? it's all i have right now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Dandruff treatment is, to a certain extent, a case of trial and error - you need to find the product that suits you. Try coal tar shampoos, or, as someone said, ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo. An unhealthy diet can also make dandruff worse, so it's something to take into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Dandruff stems from a fungal infection. hence the anti-dandruff products are anti fungals. Wash your hair every day. I use head and shoulders but if this is not enough, wash every day but alternate active ingredients, ie alternate head and shoulders with Nizoral - that should do the trick

ReputationRep:
    head and shoulders; works for me

ReputationRep:
    T-gel. I had the most MENTAL dandruff problem when a cut on my scalp got infected and my whole scalp starting shedding scabs and it was proper icky, and it didn't go for months, and t-gel got rid of it in a couple of weeks

Smells disgusting though, so use a good nice smelling conditioner after.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get a little bit of dandruff, not now though. I found it hard to find any products that helped. Only one I'd recommend is the Lush Snake Oil scalp massage bar, about £4.15 per bar but it does last a while. Smells quite good as it contains lavender, tea tree and peppermint to kill off the yeast like offending microbes that can cause the problem. You massage a small amount into your scalp, leave for 20 minutes and then shampoo out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.