Turn on thread page Beta

finding it difficult to take watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a University night out tonight at the student guild and it seems like everyone else is going out. My flat is quite simply not going out (as usual!) there's like 2 other people who are going out both of whom have found some mates elsewhere and out with them. Of course I 'could' tag along but it's not that easy and it's very 'you can't break into my circle sort of thing'. So it's literally myself and I went round to some other flats for sessions with some other mate I know but cas I know noone I am so out of place! Excluding my flat, I get on well with another 2 flats - but 1 of them doesn't appear to be out tonight whilst the other are all mixed up - eg, some are at home, some aren't going out, don't know the people who are going out and so on. It's pretty **** really. I've been going round to other flats and it just ain't happening. Went to one earlier and they embarrassed me for an incident which happened 1 month or so ago, where I was with a couple mates and looking into their window with my mates binoculars from their flat (long story) - ok not the greatest idea but they proper went mental about it and made me feel like a total ****.

Now I'm back home, and I quite honestly feel like total and utter ****. It's such a depressing feeling to see other groups going out and not knowing them and basically feeling like a complete outsider. I'm going to bed soon but I really feel the need to NOT be on my own. I need to cheer up.

Can anyone show me that it isn't the end of the world .. cas right now it feels like that!

I really don't get the big deal about going out and being an "outsider".
    When I lived in halls last year, I almost never went out even though my hall organized nights out. Stay in, watch a movie or TV show, go to the gym. You don't need to go out to be happy.
    Don't forget that university is just a small part of life- it'll be over quite quickly and then you'll be working. No need to get too attached to the people there since you won't be with them for long.
    This is not a troll post, this is not a joke post- I mean all of this 100% seriously.

ReputationRep:
    ye I know but when you live on campus and you're so exposed to the social lifestyle it's a very hard thing to take when you go around the place and are made to feel like a complete loner.

ReputationRep:
    can we be serious now please

ReputationRep:
    youre not the only one feeling this way. there are a lot of people who feel that way and you won't even notice.

it's no coincidence that a group needs to find a scapegoat to laugh at, its probably their only common way of bonding as a result of their own insecurities. sad but true.

my uni social life didn't really kick in until second year when i started meeting people through common interest groups rather than random student parties.

hang in there and good luck

ReputationRep:
    If it was just any other night I wouldn't take it so painfully but cas it's a guild event type thing I feel so left out. I feel a sense of pressure and a sense of I'm not good enough, because I'm not going out with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    ye i woke up, I still feel ****.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend feels the same, thats life eh.

ReputationRep:
    Join some societies...

ReputationRep:
    ye I did but they really aren't any great. Socially they are rubbish.

have a w.a.n.k?

ReputationRep:
    Push it all the way down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really don't get the big deal about going out and being an "outsider".
    When I lived in halls last year, I almost never went out even though my hall organized nights out. Stay in, watch a movie or TV show, go to the gym. You don't need to go out to be happy.
    Don't forget that university is just a small part of life- it'll be over quite quickly and then you'll be working. No need to get too attached to the people there since you won't be with them for long.
    This is not a troll post, this is not a joke post- I mean all of this 100% seriously.
    Yeah, become a shutaway, don´t make any mates. Sounds much more fun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.