Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's a University night out tonight at the student guild and it seems like everyone else is going out. My flat is quite simply not going out (as usual!) there's like 2 other people who are going out both of whom have found some mates elsewhere and out with them. Of course I 'could' tag along but it's not that easy and it's very 'you can't break into my circle sort of thing'. So it's literally myself and I went round to some other flats for sessions with some other mate I know but cas I know noone I am so out of place! Excluding my flat, I get on well with another 2 flats - but 1 of them doesn't appear to be out tonight whilst the other are all mixed up - eg, some are at home, some aren't going out, don't know the people who are going out and so on. It's pretty **** really. I've been going round to other flats and it just ain't happening. Went to one earlier and they embarrassed me for an incident which happened 1 month or so ago, where I was with a couple mates and looking into their window with my mates binoculars from their flat (long story) - ok not the greatest idea but they proper went mental about it and made me feel like a total ****.

Now I'm back home, and I quite honestly feel like total and utter ****. It's such a depressing feeling to see other groups going out and not knowing them and basically feeling like a complete outsider. I'm going to bed soon but I really feel the need to NOT be on my own. I need to cheer up.

Can anyone show me that it isn't the end of the world .. cas right now it feels like that!

I really don't get the big deal about going out and being an "outsider".
    When I lived in halls last year, I almost never went out even though my hall organized nights out. Stay in, watch a movie or TV show, go to the gym. You don't need to go out to be happy.
    Don't forget that university is just a small part of life- it'll be over quite quickly and then you'll be working. No need to get too attached to the people there since you won't be with them for long.
    This is not a troll post, this is not a joke post- I mean all of this 100% seriously.

ReputationRep:
    ye I know but when you live on campus and you're so exposed to the social lifestyle it's a very hard thing to take when you go around the place and are made to feel like a complete loner.

ReputationRep:
    can we be serious now please

ReputationRep:
    youre not the only one feeling this way. there are a lot of people who feel that way and you won't even notice.

it's no coincidence that a group needs to find a scapegoat to laugh at, its probably their only common way of bonding as a result of their own insecurities. sad but true.

my uni social life didn't really kick in until second year when i started meeting people through common interest groups rather than random student parties.

hang in there and good luck

ReputationRep:
    If it was just any other night I wouldn't take it so painfully but cas it's a guild event type thing I feel so left out. I feel a sense of pressure and a sense of I'm not good enough, because I'm not going out with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    ye i woke up, I still feel ****.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend feels the same, thats life eh.

ReputationRep:
    Join some societies...

ReputationRep:
    ye I did but they really aren't any great. Socially they are rubbish.

have a w.a.n.k?

ReputationRep:
    Push it all the way down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really don't get the big deal about going out and being an "outsider".
    When I lived in halls last year, I almost never went out even though my hall organized nights out. Stay in, watch a movie or TV show, go to the gym. You don't need to go out to be happy.
    Don't forget that university is just a small part of life- it'll be over quite quickly and then you'll be working. No need to get too attached to the people there since you won't be with them for long.
    This is not a troll post, this is not a joke post- I mean all of this 100% seriously.
    Yeah, become a shutaway, don´t make any mates. Sounds much more fun.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.