Turn on thread page Beta

A more mature look... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    How about something like black trousers and white shirt with say the top two buttons open for a more smart look. Or boots ( the ones that go up your calf), a skirt and a long sleeve top?

ReputationRep:
    It's hard, but maybe you just need to look round shops, try loads of stuff on and find a look that works for you. Or do what I do - people watch, and find a woman with clothes you like, then try to copy her style.
    In my opinion, a nice outfit that looks more mature, but not too old, would be a mid-thigh length dress (there are loads around atm) maybe floral, with tights and boots. It looks quite sophisticated, and the boots/dress you get can reflect whatever style you want to wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Wondering if anyone can suggest some styles/clothing...

Basically, I'm turning 20 very soon and feel as though I need to stop dressing like a kid - I don't feel comfortable with my style as I once did and I'm looking for a more mature but feminine and classy style.
    Currently I wear skinnies with cutesy pumps/ankle boots and printed tees.
    It's not bad but I feel like the way I dress doesn't reflect me anymore - I'm not into the alt/indie thing like I was in my early teens. I'm not into any kind of fashion clique - I just want to look like a mature feminine woman without looking stuffy/old. So I'd preferably like to ditch jeans (of any kind)/t-shirts/pumps/popular young fashion.

Transforming my wardrobe seems like such a huge task I don't really know where to start.
    Ideas?? Thanks very much
    so you can get more mature men. so they can take you shopping with their credit card and carry your things home for you with their big strong hands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    It's hard, but maybe you just need to look round shops, try loads of stuff on and find a look that works for you. Or do what I do - people watch, and find a woman with clothes you like, then try to copy her style.
    In my opinion, a nice outfit that looks more mature, but not too old, would be a mid-thigh length dress (there are loads around atm) maybe floral, with tights and boots. It looks quite sophisticated, and the boots/dress you get can reflect whatever style you want to wear.
    This is great advice ^

Go and shop at more sophisticated shops such as Zara and Gap.

You can gradually transition your waredrobe by adding pieces and mixing them with what you have. Gradually you can rid yourself of your old stuff.

some sophisticated staples you can add are a nice blazer, some brogues and a good shift dress.

ReputationRep:

Basically, I'm turning 20 very soon and feel as though I need to stop dressing like a kid - I don't feel comfortable with my style as I once did and I'm looking for a more mature but feminine and classy style.
    It's not bad but I feel like the way I dress doesn't reflect me anymore - I'm not into the alt/indie thing like I was in my early teens. I'm not into any kind of fashion clique - I just want to look like a mature feminine woman without looking stuffy/old. So I'd preferably like to ditch jeans (of any kind)/t-shirts/pumps/popular young fashion.

Transforming my wardrobe seems like such a huge task I don't really know where to start.
    Ideas?? Thanks very much
    just look for things your comfortable with try different items of clothing but if you have a style that suites you stick to it =]

ReputationRep:

Ideas?? Thanks very much

It's hard to recommend styles without knowing your shape/size.

Personally I like brightly coloured dresses with tights and heels (or pumps if the dress is quite short). Dorothy Perkins do really pretty dresses
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...8605&langId=-1 with opaque black tights, black pumps/heels and a black cardigan would look really nice.

or

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...9509&langId=-1

or

http://www.missselfridge.com/webapp/...5644&langId=-1 with a black waist belt and opaque black tights

Or you could wear full skirts with a waist belt, strap top and cardigan

Or jeans with a fitted T-shirt/jumper

Vintage dresses can be really pretty. Also try looking in Zara, Oasis etc

Accessories make a big difference. Black skinny jeans with a plain vest top (in a deep colour e.g. dark green, teal, purple, grey etc or nude would be nice), long pearls http://www.simplypearls.co.uk/po062-...earl-necklaces (maybe knotted), heels http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/main/d...SITY_GreySuede and a nice black bag would look great.

If you give us some idea of your size and what sort of styles you like (which celebrities' styles do you like?) then it will be easier for us to give you ideas

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.