Turn on thread page Beta

Can you claim jobseekers in the summer between undergrad and postgrad? watch

ReputationRep:
    If your not in paid employment?

Thanks for any help, I dont know much about this and would like to do a voluntary research placement, but money will be very tight.

ReputationRep:
    yes my friend did this as soon as she got her graduation certificate

but dont tell them you're planning to go on to study obviously.. and don't tell them you're doing a placement if it's more than 16 hours a week

ReputationRep:
    Really? you cant volunteer and do something for society and still get jobseekers allowance that people not bothering with anything can? what a rip.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you will actually have to apply for real jobs, I have to apply for 2 jobs a week as part of my job seekers agreement and they phone the companies up to check, if I don't then I don't get the dollaz. Although if there are no suitable jobs then its fair enough if you don't apply to something. I suppose you could just apply for things you have no chance of getting...

ReputationRep:
    well that wouldnt be too hard. I could just fill in the application form badly or something. Although other people I know on jobseekers get away without applying, I suppose its a risk which i wouldnt take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onething)
    Really? you cant volunteer and do something for society and still get jobseekers allowance that people not bothering with anything can? what a rip.

Thanks for your help.
    You can do voluntary work with a charity or other approved place, but you have to declare it.

well that wouldnt be too hard. I could just fill in the application form badly or something. Although other people I know on jobseekers get away without applying, I suppose its a risk which i wouldnt take.
    You know sabotaging an application would mean you'd be breaking your agreement, and possibly be sanctioned if found out.

(Original post by spl00sh)
    but dont tell them you're planning to go on to study obviously.. and don't tell them you're doing a placement if it's more than 16 hours a week
    You can do voluntary work for more than 16 hours I think, as long as you don't get paid and are willing to give it up for a real job.

The 16 hour rule only applies to a part time job AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    You can do voluntary work with a charity or other approved place, but you have to declare it.

You know sabotaging an application would mean you'd be breaking your agreement, and possibly be sanctioned if found out.

You can do voluntary work for more than 16 hours I think, as long as you don't get paid and are willing to give it up for a real job.

The 16 hour rule only applies to a part time job AFAIK.
    Is it acceptable to apply for jobs and turn them down if offered them?

ReputationRep:
    Is it acceptable to apply for jobs and turn them down if offered them?
    Nope, if we find out you've refused suitable employment then you can be sanctioned for that too. You should see the rules for stuff like that, they cover pretty much every possible thing someone might do!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I don't think you should when you have no intention of finding a job. You sorry workshy creature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    I don't know. I don't think you should when you have no intention of finding a job. You sorry workshy creature.
    WORKSHY?! in what way do you judge volunteering during a 2/3 month summer holiday to gain experience to enhance chances of getting a good job once I have graduated from a masters as being "workshy"? By those standards a nursing student being funded by the NHS is 'workshy', or infact any student recieving a grant, alongside anyone who volunteers for a charity permanently.

Many people would go out and have fun in their holiday, or travel! Even if i did work (which i do. a bank job first aiding - depending on how often work is available, although that is not very often) I definately wouldnt be earning above the threshold to pay tax (since it would only be for 2/3 months), and probably wouldnt be able to find a job which allowed me to work above the 16 hour limit required to prevent me from claiming jobseekers!

I suggest that you think before you go throwing accusations around, because I find that very offensive.

I dont think you should comment when you have no intention of reading the origional post. You sorry bigot of a creature.

ReputationRep:
    JSA is exactly what it says it is. To help job seekers while they find a job. Not to help fund your summer placement.

ReputationRep:
    If your not in paid employment?

Thanks for any help, I dont know much about this and would like to do a voluntary research placement, but money will be very tight.
    You can claim as soon as you graduate but the Job Centre would not like you to do your placement if it impeded your chances of a job, which they would suggest it would irrespective of how many hours you were putting in (or if it actually improves your future job prospects...), and it usually takes at least a month before you start receiving any money.

Personally, I would not bother applying for it if you can help it; working a handful of hours at a supermarket will give you the same amount of money, and it is far more flexible so you can work around your research placement. The Job Centre is full of idiots who do not even know the basic requirements of JSA, and will put you through the system whether you are eligible or not, wasting not only your time but theirs too. You might want to see if your current university has an access to learning fund, which might help cover your living costs during the summer, or they might have small bursaries dedicated for this sort of thing, assuming you are staying at the same university for postgraduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    You can claim as soon as you graduate but the Job Centre would not like you to do your placement if it impeded your chances of a job, which they would suggest it would irrespective of how many hours you were putting in (or if it actually improves your future job prospects...), and it usually takes at least a month before you start receiving any money.

Personally, I would not bother applying for it if you can help it; working a handful of hours at a supermarket will give you the same amount of money, and it is far more flexible so you can work around your research placement. The Job Centre is full of idiots who do not even know the basic requirements of JSA, and will put you through the system whether you are eligible or not, wasting not only your time but theirs too. You might want to see if your current university has an access to learning fund, which might help cover your living costs during the summer, or they might have small bursaries dedicated for this sort of thing, assuming you are staying at the same university for postgraduate.
    Most of the advice is sound...except for the bold bit. I'd love to know where you got that idea from. Trust me we are encouraged to look out for anyone who's claiming when they shouldn't be. The only reason people who shouldn't claim do is because they lie when they apply and if and when we find out we stop their claim. I guarantee you'll not find a single person working for the jobcentre who would like to have more people claiming and who wants fraudulent claims.

ReputationRep:
    The Job Centre is full of idiots who do not even know the basic requirements of JSA, and will put you through the system whether you are eligible or not, wasting not only your time but theirs too.
    When did you last go on JSA? My personal experience of Job Centres is completely different to yours, at my local one they are really professional, maybe its just your one that's full of idiots?

I agree with the rest of your post though, particularly the part time job bit, it'd be better/less fraudulent to actually get a part time job maybe 12 hours a week at a supermarket, where you can be flexible around your placement and work weekends. It'd get you more money anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the advice is sound...except for the bold bit. I'd love to know where you got that idea from. Trust me we are encouraged to look out for anyone who's claiming when they shouldn't be. The only reason people who shouldn't claim do is because they lie when they apply and if and when we find out we stop their claim. I guarantee you'll not find a single person working for the jobcentre who would like to have more people claiming and who wants fraudulent claims.
    Personal experience, perhaps? I will give you my example since you seem sceptical, though I was not suggesting fraud but general incompetence.

I apply online and someone rings a few days later to confirm exactly what I have already said online, and to arrange an appointment at my local Job Centre for the next day. I tell her that I am a second-year university student and I am going back in September; she tells me to take my student financial stuff with me. I go and someone sees me (eventually) and checks exactly the same thing that has been checked already on the phone, then constructs a ridiculously unrealistic Jobseekers agreement, which would mean I would never find a job if I stuck to it, and then arranges a stupid time for when I have to come in every fortnight (I live in a small village 15 miles away from the Job Centre, and have to use public transport) despite explaining my situation. For example, the last bus I can get home is around 6pm – the first job she suggests is night-time bar work in a city 30 miles away from my home... The second job she suggests (the only official one on the system) does not sound too bad, but the cost of getting there, ignoring national insurance/tax/or the fact they want someone with experience, comes to 40% of the wage...

Anyway, I go on my merry way, thinking that the cogs are in motion. I go in for my first (five minute!) meeting and this lovely guy actually understands the difficulties I face getting a job (no local jobs in the village, and expensive/limited transport options mean I have to work a certain number of hours to cover my costs, and have to be finished by a certain time in order to get home). Anyway, he is impressed that I (am a student, firstly, and that I) have done far more than the allocated number of job applications/searches and sends me on my way. I do the same thing and return two weeks later, only to have someone call out someone else's name for my appointment slot (they had the same first name and no one else came forward so I assumed they must have the wrong name). I go forward and tell them about 'my situation'; I am told that I am not on their list, but to sit somewhere and someone checks (thankfully, I always brought my financial/job stuff with me) the educational stuff again, and sees nothing wrong. I am told to phone the helpline thing using their phones, where someone eventually tells me that I am ineligible because I am still technically classed as a student even during the summer; student loans are supposed to last the entire year he says! When I get home I find a letter telling me exactly the same thing the man has just told me on the phone.

I talked to five different people over the space of a month, (a month!) and not one of them knew that only graduates are allowed to qualify for JSA. If that is not incompetence I do not know what is. Perhaps, you will tell me it is not their job to know these things, right?

ReputationRep:
    Thats crazy! Ok your local place sounds like a load of nutjobs!

ReputationRep:
    Personal experience, perhaps? I will give you my example since you seem sceptical, though I was not suggesting fraud but general incompetence.

I apply online and someone rings a few days later to confirm exactly what I have already said online, and to arrange an appointment at my local Job Centre for the next day. I tell her that I am a second-year university student and I am going back in September; she tells me to take my student financial stuff with me. I go and someone sees me (eventually) and checks exactly the same thing that has been checked already on the phone, then constructs a ridiculously unrealistic Jobseekers agreement, which would mean I would never find a job if I stuck to it, and then arranges a stupid time for when I have to come in every fortnight (I live in a small village 15 miles away from the Job Centre, and have to use public transport) despite explaining my situation. For example, the last bus I can get home is around 6pm – the first job she suggests is night-time bar work in a city 30 miles away from my home... The second job she suggests (the only official one on the system) does not sound too bad, but the cost of getting there, ignoring national insurance/tax/or the fact they want someone with experience, comes to 40% of the wage...

Anyway, I go on my merry way, thinking that the cogs are in motion. I go in for my first (five minute!) meeting and this lovely guy actually understands the difficulties I face getting a job (no local jobs in the village, and expensive/limited transport options mean I have to work a certain number of hours to cover my costs, and have to be finished by a certain time in order to get home). Anyway, he is impressed that I (am a student, firstly, and that I) have done far more than the allocated number of job applications/searches and sends me on my way. I do the same thing and return two weeks later, only to have someone call out someone else's name for my appointment slot (they had the same first name and no one else came forward so I assumed they must have the wrong name). I go forward and tell them about 'my situation'; I am told that I am not on their list, but to sit somewhere and someone checks (thankfully, I always brought my financial/job stuff with me) the educational stuff again, and sees nothing wrong. I am told to phone the helpline thing using their phones, where someone eventually tells me that I am ineligible because I am still technically classed as a student even during the summer; student loans are supposed to last the entire year he says! When I get home I find a letter telling me exactly the same thing the man has just told me on the phone.

I talked to five different people over the space of a month, (a month!) and not one of them knew that only graduates are allowed to qualify for JSA. If that is not incompetence I do not know what is. Perhaps, you will tell me it is not their job to know these things, right?
    So what you meant to say is YOUR jobcentre is full of idiots...

First off, the jobseekers agreement they wrote up. If it wasn't suitable for you why did you accept it? You have to sign it if you agree with it, and if you don't you should say something and refuse to sign it until you agree with everything it says. If you didn't do that then the problems with it are your fault. It's called a jobseekers agreement because you, as the jobseeker, are agreeing to do what it says!

As for the rest, that sucks, but doesn't mean the whole system is at fault. There are thousands of people working at jobcentres, and you've met a few that have made mistakes and so assume everyone is like that. WE'RE NOT! Sure, tell people you've had a bad experience, but don't suggest not to bother with us because we're all idiots.

Just because you got past the initial claim stage before being flagged as ineligible doesn't mean much. It was noticed pretty quickly (in terms of the number of times you actually went to the jobcentre) and your claim was closed. Sure mistakes were made but it's not like you were claiming for months without being flagged. I'd say the things we have in place work pretty well at spotting claims that shouldn't be there.

EDIT

Oh one last thing, there is a good chance that no one you met at the actual jobcentre had ever needed to know about graduates. I've been signing people for 7 months and I still come across things I have to ask about because I've never come across them before. Perhaps that was what happened, in which case you can't call that incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MulderMan)
    JSA is exactly what it says it is. To help job seekers while they find a job. Not to help fund your summer placement.
    I know its not meant for that, but desperate times = desperate measures. I dont want to be another statistic on the unemployed list when i leave university because i dont have any relevant experience.

ReputationRep:

i was considering this whole thing about it not being worth the bother. There are no bursaries available for summer placements after you have finished your degree though. I have considered applying for postgraduate funding but i think any funders will look at my first year grades and just go REJECT!
    but trying to find a job just for the summer and only for a few hours a week is like trying to fins a needle in a haystack. last year I applied to over 25 (#50% full time), and only got about 6-8 replies, all of which were negative. They just look at your CV and see that youll be leaving in afew months, and throw it away. This is part of the reason i want work experience, so that people will employ me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wren)
    Yeah but you will actually have to apply for real jobs, I have to apply for 2 jobs a week as part of my job seekers agreement and they phone the companies up to check, if I don't then I don't get the dollaz.
    Do you really think they will phoneup the companies to check? Lolz
    They tend to check if they suspect that the numbers you have been providing are fraudulent, other than that I highly doubt it that they will spend their time making all those phone calls just to check.
    I was on jsa for quite a few months and not ones did they ever check the number I provided.

I'd say the things we have in place work pretty well at spotting claims that shouldn't be there.
    On the contrary, I would say that they don't have sufficient checks inplace to spot false claims.
    I know someone who claims jsa and student loan, this surely shouldnt be possible.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.