Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doing reversing maneuvers up hills watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've got my driving test in a while and I've realised that I really struggle with doing left reverses and parallel parking maneuvers up hills. I know it's all about clutch control, but I still struggle at controlling the speed without the brakes, as a result I end up going too fast and panic ensues.

Anybody got any tips?

I've got a really steep drive so I think I'll practice on there a bit. The smell of burning clutch starts to get overwhelming after a while though.

ReputationRep:
    Just release the clutch slowly and press gas to give it extra power to go up the hill.

one tip - just don't try and rush it. Take your time.

ReputationRep:
    Is this thread a euphemism??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDM)
    I know it's all about clutch control
    Correct. Ease, freeze and squeeze. The clutch isn't a light switch that you can just flick on and off.

but I still struggle at controlling the speed without the brakes, as a result I end up going too fast and panic ensues.
    Postpone your test as it sounds like you're not ready for gradients.

Anybody got any tips?
    Practice makes perfect.

ReputationRep:
    If you're still unsure about certain manoeuvres, ask your instructor if you can focus on them during the build-up to your test and I'm sure they'll be happy to help. However, if you're still getting really nervous and think it's going to hold you back on your test, I'd suggest you postpone until you're more confident in yourself.

Whatever you decide, best of luck OP!

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you can do all the maneuvers on a really steep hill then your clutch contorl will improve all over. Thats what i did, i was stalling a few times even 15 hours into my lessons however after doing about an hour on a 45 degree hill i dont think i ever stalled after that, and in this regard i think the only way to get it is if you actually go onto a hill and practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    one tip - just don't try and rush it. Take your time.
    This is the best advice for all your manoeuvres, including hill starts and even simply pulling away from traffic lights!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys!

When I said "a while" I actually meant that it was today!

I spent hours and hours nailing the uphill reverse stuff over the weekend but I didn't even get any on my test. I passed so it's all good

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.