Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where did/do you go for sixth form/A Levels? watch

• View Poll Results: Where did you go post 16 for more education?
    Stayed on at same secondary school
    44.44%
    Moved to a different secondary school
    18.06%
    Moved to a sixth form college
    20.83%
    Moved to a further education college
    12.50%
    Home schooled / self taught
    0%
    Other
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    I stayed on at my same school that I've been in since Year 7. At first I just wasn't bothered to change, but now, looking back, I kinda wish I had gone to a college or a different school at least, so bored of this place and the little kids running around can be so annoying. Ah well, I've still got at least a few more months. I'm just wondering what other people's choices were.

ReputationRep:
    I changed to a different school. I felt I had no choice, I rely didn't want to stay where I was.

ReputationRep:
    I was questioned for moving from a grammar school to a comprehensive closer to where I live, but comparing the two, I'm glad I moved; opened my eyes to the world a bit, and they're pretty much equal in terms of academics, in spite of the selective nature of my old school.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at my school's sixth form. For a start, because it takes me about 3 minutes to walk there, whereas it'd be a half an hour bus ride at least to the nearest sixth form college. Secondly, I doubt it'd be any better academically, and indeed I'm perfectly satisfied with the teaching for most of my subjects, and I'm sure the extra time when it gets closer to exams will more than make up for any deficiencies. And, of course, there was the potential to go to college and get a whole new set of friends; however, it also seems very possible that I might not gel with anyone there, and end up awkward and alone - after all, it took me a long time to widen my friend circle after starting secondary school. So I think, on balance, I made the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed put as well - a lot of my friends from another school went to a FE college and it's notorious for non-attendance/dropping out for some reason :confused: I just thought if I stayed where I was I knew the teachers who were doing my courses and how they taught, it's strict enough that I'll feel the consequences if I don't show up or start underperforming, and so on. I wanted to leave for a college at first, I hated most of my lower school population because they hated me, but everyone seems to have matured a bit (and the obviously irritating ones didn't go onto the sixth form!) so it's actually okay

ReputationRep:
    I stayed, mainly because I was within a 15 min walking distance, and the next 6th Form or college was a 20 mins bus ride away. But also, because there weren't many places near me which offered German A-level, and I was more than satisfied with the mfl teacher at my school .

ReputationRep:
    My school had no sixth form,
    so college was my option.
    I never fancied sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed at my school, it was convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I also stayed for the reason of my school being only a 5 minute or so walk away. Though, the nearest college is about a 25 minute walk away, which I wouldn't have minded to be honest, but it's still further I guess, and doesn't have one of the subjects that I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    I moved to a different college. My school's sixth form closed down like two years before I left and most people went places like Dudley and Walsall college. I wanted a fresh new start and chose to go to Wolverhampton college, only like two people from my high school went there, and they were nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    I was questioned for moving from a grammar school to a comprehensive closer to where I live, but comparing the two, I'm glad I moved; opened my eyes to the world a bit, and they're pretty much equal in terms of academics, in spite of the selective nature of my old school.
    I did the same. I think i made the right choice. It ws weird having boys in my classes but at least at my comprehensive nobody gets made fun of for getting free school meals.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a 6th form college cos my school 6th form closed down cos most of the kids there weren't smart enough to do A Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    I did the same. I think i made the right choice. It ws weird having boys in my classes but at least at my comprehensive nobody gets made fun of for getting free school meals.
    As if they made fun of you for that at your grammar school! That is disgusting, quite frankly.

Then again, I feel a grammar school generates a highly competitive and therefore vicious atmosphere, hence why I am, thinking about it, not surprised.

All complicated.

Yr12: Stayed at secondary school for 2 subjects, attened another school for one subject
    Yr13: Moved to other school stated as above
    Yr14: Moved to further education college and self-taught others.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed at our school's 6th form, its convienient, small number of students, and teachers are very easy to get on with,

Was going to go to a sixth form college, but was quite hard to get to.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed in my school's sixth form for year 12-hated it so much,hated evrything about it,tired of seeing the same pupils and teachers from year 7. The teachers treat you the same as you were in year 7.Got kicked out, now doing year 13 in sixth form college and loving it, especially the independence

ReputationRep:
    I moved to a sixth form. Awesome decision.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed on... I av been going to my school since year seven and i like the people and teachers but sumtimes when i see little students running around i just remind myself that i would leave in a couple of months

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a sixth form college. There was no sixth form at my school so I basically had no choice but to move. Not too keen on it, but apparently it's good preperation for uni. We'll wait and see....

ReputationRep:
    I moved to a sixth form college nearer to my house, partly for it's nearness and partly because my school was **** and I didn't want to stay there for another two years. :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.