The Student Room Group

Androgyny

I'm biologically male but since about the age of four or five I've been affected by gender identity issues. I percieve myself to be, and have traits of both male and female, in an almost bipolar existence (some days i feel male, others female etc). I prefer feeling male as it feels more natural (as the identity coincides with bioligal appearence).

I want to know more about the state I'm in. I'm in counselling, but there seems to be no help out there for people in my sort of situation, its all just plain transgender behaviour. I personally don't want to change genders, I'd rather just get used to my biological gender. Is there any therapy to treat these "gender mood swings". I've been interested in hormone therapy (male hormones), but am aware psychiatrists won't prescribe me these.
From what i've learnt in psychology treatment of androgyny is generally just counselling to learn to balence your genders. I've also read about a treatment whereby the patient who wishes to phase out one gender does things that are stereotypically male/female (sports,sewing etc). Dunno if that would help though.

Latest

Trending

Trending