Turn on thread page Beta

What can I get for my money? :/ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    The whole NCB thing is bs for young drivers really. On my car, it would cost me in the region of 3 grand to have it in my own name but as a named driver on my mum's policy it's £300 a year . Not fronting either as my parents use it probably just as much as I do as we only have one other car. Now someone please tell me that I've gone wrong in my maths somewhere and I'd be better off going fully comp and getting NCB :rolleyes: I'm waiting till I'm 21 when prices drop off dramatically and getting my own policy then.
    OK

I worked it out when I was 17.

Getting a fully comp policy from day 1, and assuming you dont have a claim, you pay less in total from ages 17-30 than you do if you go on your parents policy and change to your own policy with no NCB at 21. The only difference is that if you go on your own policy you pay more when your younger, but save when your older. Fully comp insurance for me, at 21, is less than £350 a year now, but if I didnt have any NCB (ie had been on my parents policy) it would be over a grand. I guess it just depends how much you can afford when your young.
    Work it out if you want, chose 1 insurer, 1 car and just adjust the age/NCB each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pimpman777)
    Why is everyone so wary of fronting? About 80% of under-20s do it. And the whole thing about the insurance company finding out through your neighbours is just nonsense. Only real chance you have of getting caught is if you crash somewhere far away from home at university or something. I may be illegal. but I'd rather do fronting any day than pay the ridiculous prices these ripoff private companies ask for.
    Maybe some of us cant afford a fine for driving uninsured, potentially having my licence taken off me, and having to pay for a new car for myself plus having to admit for the next 10 years that I have a conviction when getting insurance. The whole point if having insurance is that its there to protect you if you have an accident, not much ******* point if you know it might well be invalid when you need it.......... :confused:

People like you just drive my premiums up to cover your tight arsed way of fiddling the system. ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Maybe some of us cant afford a fine for driving uninsured, potentially having my licence taken off me, and having to pay for a new car for myself plus having to admit for the next 10 years that I have a conviction when getting insurance. The whole point if having insurance is that its there to protect you if you have an accident, not much ******* point if you know it might well be invalid when you need it.......... :confused:

People like you just drive my premiums up to cover your tight arsed way of fiddling the system. ******.
    Lol, what? My insurance would only be invalidated if they somehow found out I was driving the car slighly more frequently than my parents, which is frankly impossible if you ask me, even if they go around snooping at my neighbours, who have no clue who drives our car anyway.

And I seriously don't see how me fronting drives up your premiums. I'm not a 17 year driving recklessly for adrenaline, I'm probably the most cautious driver in our family. Rant all you want, the fact is, I couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please summarise: When you're 17 do you get your own insurance or put your parents as a "main driver"?? This thread is confusing. (please quote)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Could someone please summarise: When you're 17 do you get your own insurance or put your parents as a "main driver"?? This thread is confusing. (please quote)
    If you're going to be the main driver and can afford it get your own insurance as a main driver. Most 17 years however I presume just go on their parents policy as named drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Not trying to bash you for a pefectly well-intentioned post, but this is not the case.

If the OP is REALLY the main driver but NAMED as a supplementary driver, and HE caused an accident and insurance company SUSPECTED he was the main driver, then the choice between COMP/TPFT is irrelevant. You will not be covered at all in this case unless the policy is in your name.

If you really are the overwhelming main user of the car it will not be hard for the insurance companies to screw you if you cause an accident - they can ask neighbours etc who uses the car most and have plenty of other means of investigating. This is a huge risk - because as per the above, you are driving uninsured if your insurance is invalidated - and this could make you personally liable for £Ms if you kill someone (which is statistically likely for a 17yo male )

EDIT: sorry I take that back - i can see now this is what you meant. thought u meant 'dont get comp' was bad advice, but no you said exactly what I've said here

:p: Eejit!

ReputationRep:
    By law, if you are the main driver, ie if you do the most miles in the car, then you must have your own policy.

However, because it costs so much many people put their parents down as main drivers even though they may not drive the car at all. If your caught doing this though expect;

-A hefty fine
    -6 points on your licence (if you've been passed less than 2 years this means you lose your licence and have to do another test)
    -A criminal record for fraud
    -Very expensive insurance when you do want it again, because you have to declare it to the insurance co's

And yes while many people do get away with it, about 1000 claims each year are turned down because of fronting. This also means if your involved in an accident you can be taken to court to recover costs, so if you hit a £6,000 car and write it off you could potentially be left with the bill, along with any damage to your car. God help you if you hit a pedestrian, biker, house etc.....

ReputationRep:
    By law, if you are the main driver, ie if you do the most miles in the car, then you must have your own policy.

However, because it costs so much many people put their parents down as main drivers even though they may not drive the car at all. If your caught doing this though expect;

-A hefty fine
    -6 points on your licence (if you've been passed less than 2 years this means you lose your licence and have to do another test)
    -Very expensive insurance when you do want it again, because you have to declare it to the insurance co's

And yes while many people do get away with it, about 1000 claims each year are turned down because of fronting. This also means if an accident is your fault the insurance company does not have to cover any damage or loss to your car, potentially leaving you with a large bill.
    If you can get some statistics on how many people are actually convicted of fronting each year then I'll believe you.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get some statistics on how many people are actually convicted of fronting each year then I'll believe you.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7052569.stm

That was 2 years ago, and I know for certain that insurance companies are cracking down more every year, so expect it to be higher now.

ReputationRep:

That was 2 years ago, and I know for certain that insurance companies are cracking down more every year, so expect it to be higher now.
    To be honest that article only seems to talk about obvious cases where parents are insuring their kids at uni or who have the car registered in their own name. I mainly speak of the people who live in the same household and have the car registered fully in their parents name. Obviously, when I go off to university I'll be on my own policy. I just see no point paying the higher premiums right now, when there's a stupidly small chance of being caught.

ReputationRep:

Ignore this guy, hes a plonker. Unless you admit the offence it would be impossible to prove. They might accuse, but if they don't pay out take them to court and win.

ReputationRep:

-A hefty fine

And yes while many people do get away with it, about 1000 claims each year are turned down because of fronting. This also means if your involved in an accident you can be taken to court to recover costs, so if you hit a £6,000 car and write it off you could potentially be left with the bill, along with any damage to your car. God help you if you hit a pedestrian, biker, house etc.....
    Ok, so what's the right thing to do? I mean Thousands of pounds to insure a car that costs £1000 is absolutely ********.. but getting caught would be bad..

ReputationRep:

-A hefty fine

Your wrong. Insurance companies may refuse to pay, but people vary rarely are prosecuted for it. Because you have to prove it within all reasonable doubt. This means you have to have followed the car all year (never) or the person has to admit it (only if they are retarded). Indeed it should be the person who is going to court, they will win and the insurers will have to pay out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    Your wrong. Insurance companies may refuse to pay, but people vary rarely are prosecuted for it. Because you have to prove it within all reasonable doubt. This means you have to have followed the car all year (never) or the person has to admit it (only if they are retarded). Indeed it should be the person who is going to court, they will win and the insurers will have to pay out!
    Are you prince harry?

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone so wary of fronting? About 80% of under-20s do it. And the whole thing about the insurance company finding out through your neighbours is just nonsense. Only real chance you have of getting caught is if you crash somewhere far away from home at university or something. I may be illegal. but I'd rather do fronting any day than pay the ridiculous prices these ripoff private companies ask for.
    I agree theres no real way of getting caught, but as i said if the different isnt too great its better to build up the ncb in your own name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_master)
    Since I clearly stated it should be nationalised and not scrapped I don't see how you could have so gloriously missed the point, but ah well, it's early on Sunday.

As for the debate of whether or not it will be cheaper/more expensive, I think you'll find it probably would be cheaper for some, and more expensive for others, thus reducing the massive spread in prices paid between the highest and lowest payers.

This is another debate altogether so let's not derail the thread.
    By nationalised I had assumed you meant taking the insurance burden from NI rather than forming a government insurance 'broker' to sell to individuals. My bad.

Of course I wouldn't suggest it would be universally more expensive - but as is the case with every nationalised industry, the overall cost efficiency will be lower and the average tax-payer will be worse off. Clearly we can't make any more specific claims about individuals in such a hypothetical situation.

Yup the thread appears to have been derailed nicely my work here is done...

ReputationRep:
    Are you prince harry?
    I don't get it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    More money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    I don't get it :confused:
    Look at his profile picture :p:

ReputationRep:
    Look at his profile picture :p:
    silly me

i dont see a swastika tattooed on his face... so presumably it is not his highness

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.