Colleges and accomidation Watch

Aubydoll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
When you chose a college do you get to chose the accomidation/building/etc? I quite like Fairfax of Vanbrugh college, but another building there seems to look like a prison so I'd be a bit meh if I got put there. :P
etnies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
meh
archly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You get some choice. I'm pretty sure Fairfax house is a separate option so you can directly pick it. Most of the time they will just allocate you any building in your college fitting your requirements (ensuite/non-ensuite) but because breakfast is included in the price of Fairfax accom, you can select it specifically.
TruckBear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by archly)
You get some choice. I'm pretty sure Fairfax house is a separate option so you can directly pick it. Most of the time they will just allocate you any building in your college fitting your requirements (ensuite/non-ensuite) but because breakfast is included in the price of Fairfax accom, you can select it specifically.
You can directly pick it.

P.S. I'm living in Fairfax now, and it's a right good place to be. Not that I'm suggesting that other places aren't also.
Aubydoll
Rep:
?
(Original post by IeuanF)
You can directly pick it.

P.S. I'm living in Fairfax now, and it's a right good place to be. Not that I'm suggesting that other places aren't also.
Oh yey, the building looks lussssh. Do you get to know people easily enough?

I have an interview Feb 16th, do you think If I contact some of the colleges they'd let me have a look around? :P
TruckBear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aubydoll)
Oh yey, the building looks lussssh. Do you get to know people easily enough?

I have an interview Feb 16th, do you think If I contact some of the colleges they'd let me have a look around? :P
Getting to know people is especially easy in Fairfax. We have a tv room (with a (currently broken) big TV), common room (with free pool and foosball tables) and buffet breakfast on weekdays. As such, you always end up bumping into and chatting with people. The only way you could manage to not get to know people is if you tried not to (which the odd person does, admittedly).

When it comes to looking around places - I dunno really. Your best bet will be to contact them.
Aubydoll
Rep:
?
Ahhh exciting. Is it near the law school, or new one, or wherever I'll be studying, and near town??
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can specify college, but not building. You should be able to have a look around the places on campus after your interview, yep. Just go to the info centre, pick up a map and go have a look around yourself - although you won't be able to look inside the different accommodations. On the open days that the uni holds, you'll be able to look around 'representative' accommodation, as in, a few blocks will be open to have a peek in.

Fairfax is a wee bit further into town than campus, but only by about five minutes. If the new law school is in Hes East, which I think it is, it'll be about a twenty to twenty-five minute walk, I reckon, from Fairfax to the law school.
Aubydoll
Rep:
?
Well I'm looking into that one, and Alcuin (did I just slaughter that name?! :P). They both seem to have a lot going for them, as I'm sure all of the colleges will so I'll have to look around. I want one that's not that modern, but had a good community feel, with parties :P, sports etc... if that exists. Alcuin is same sex only isn't it? Is that a bit boring in terms of nightlife or...
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I'm looking into that one, and Alcuin (did I just slaughter that name?! :P). They both seem to have a lot going for them, as I'm sure all of the colleges will so I'll have to look around. I want one that's not that modern, but had a good community feel, with parties :P, sports etc... if that exists. Alcuin is same sex only isn't it? Is that a bit boring in terms of nightlife or...
Where did you hear that? o.0
Simon117
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not same sex as far as I know, I think I might remember something about there being a couple of corridors that are though?

To be honest, if you don't want modern and want parties...pick Derwent.
BubblesMcGee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nope, we're mixed. I think you can request to live in a same sex corridor, and if enough people want it, it might extend to a whole floor instead, but the rest of the college is pretty well mixed!
Our community spirit's not bad, better if you go to some of the weekly events, like the pub quiz, which is aimed to be a starter to a night out in town.
PatmaCrotch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am going to apply to Goodricke, do current students living there feel isolated?
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PatmaCrotch)
I am going to apply to Goodricke, do current students living there feel isolated?
I'd say yes. You have to plan your journeys quite a bit, 9:15's are a ***** for them. It costs more to get back from town, you can't just pop to the shops easily.

All this is weighed up against the awesome accommodation though. Your choice.
cagneyrat
Report 8 years ago
But if you don't mind getting up early and you enjoy a walk, then Goodricke might suit you!
Meadows14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I live in Goodricke. It's a really mixed experience.

First thing's first, only Vanbrugh palace (the new buildings near Biology) rival Goodricke's accommodation. Everything here will be a year old when you get here, and much less of a construction site that it currently is. But even when work is going on, if you have your window closed, no noise will get in.

Walking to campus to 9:15s can be a real *****, sure, you have to get up at 8:00-8:30 for it, and yeah you do feel like you miss out on some Main campus stuff, but Goodricke is a bloody big place, with around 600 students. That's enough that it doesn't feel isolated. Also, a little known secret is that there's a great ambience about the place at night when all of the outdoor lighting comes on. It's really romantic.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
PatmaCrotch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meadows14)
I live in Goodricke. It's a really mixed experience.

First thing's first, only Vanbrugh palace (the new buildings near Biology) rival Goodricke's accommodation. Everything here will be a year old when you get here, and much less of a construction site that it currently is. But even when work is going on, if you have your window closed, no noise will get in.

Walking to campus to 9:15s can be a real *****, sure, you have to get up at 8:00-8:30 for it, and yeah you do feel like you miss out on some Main campus stuff, but Goodricke is a bloody big place, with around 600 students. That's enough that it doesn't feel isolated. Also, a little known secret is that there's a great ambience about the place at night when all of the outdoor lighting comes on. It's really romantic.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
What are my chances of getting a room in the quiete bit that isnt on suite?
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're going for a subject with lectures on Hes East, I'd advise resisting the urge to pick Fairfax House. :p:

I love the place, but considering how much of a pain it is to trek to the opposite end of Hes West for seminars in Derwent, I can see daily trips to Hes East grinding somewhat- you couldn't possibly be further away from the new campus as far as halls go.
Aubydoll
Rep:
?
(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
Where did you hear that? o.0
I think I read it on the website? But I didn't explain myself right lol, I mean that after 10 it's single sex... for example if you were having a chat with your bud who's of the oppisite gender they'd get kicked out? Idkkkk. Lol. I probably imagined it :P

(Original post by AirRaven)
If you're going for a subject with lectures on Hes East, I'd advise resisting the urge to pick Fairfax House. :p:

I love the place, but considering how much of a pain it is to trek to the opposite end of Hes West for seminars in Derwent, I can see daily trips to Hes East grinding somewhat- you couldn't possibly be further away from the new campus as far as halls go.
Where's Law at, or the new law building... and which colleges are near there?

I think I'm going to have to do some spying.
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think I read it on the website? But I didn't explain myself right lol, I mean that after 10 it's single sex... for example if you were having a chat with your bud who's of the oppisite gender they'd get kicked out? Idkkkk. Lol. I probably imagined it
This isn't some kind of boarding school, no uni would ever do that :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1234)
79.61%
Leave (316)
20.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed