Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any respect left? watch

Announcements

Hey,

I wouldn't say this is specifically asking for life advice, but it's in regard to this forum. This place seems to be littered with frankly outstanding threads which I sincerely hope don't show any representation to the wider community. People who see women solely as sex objects, people worried that they haven't lost their virginity by 18, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, what has society (Or hopefully, this forum) come to? Where are the core values of dignity and respect for people? What ever happened to relationships and genuine caring for one another?

These feelings have never been especially widespread :ms:

ReputationRep:
    As long as someone still thinks like that (well I guess 2) Then does it matter what others think?

If you want a loving meaningful relationship fantastic same here. If people want ONS and casual sex that's up to them.

ReputationRep:
    Morality is perfectly subjective and as such people are free to do whatever the hell they want.

ReputationRep:
    I think this place is full of stuff like that, but that might just be because it's TSR as opposed to a 'normal' community

(Original post by Lefty Leo)
    These feelings have never been especially widespread :ms:
    The feelings of goodwill? In my life, I'd say they have been widespread.

ReputationRep:
    We are as good as it gets in society these days...

ReputationRep:
    You mistake the natural desire for sex and relationships as a lack of respect. This forum accuratly reflects the way young people are thinking, its a time of lots of changes and new experiences, whats wrong with wanting to make sense of that, everybody just wants to feel normal and accepted deep down, its not a big sign of social degradation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The feelings of goodwill? In my life, I'd say they have been widespread.
    There still are, people protect what they think is worth protecting.

(Original post by reems23)
    Morality is perfectly subjective and as such people are free to do whatever the hell they want.
    Exactly, as long as it doesn't harm others (without their consent) do whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    allow.

(Original post by Double Agent)
    You mistake the natural desire for sex and relationships as a lack of respect. This forum accuratly reflects the way young people are thinking, its a time of lots of changes and new experiences, whats wrong with wanting to make sense of that, everybody just wants to feel normal and accepted deep down, its not a big sign of social degradation.
    I guess that's what I see it as. Maybe I'm just being an old traditionalist but I see the values of respecting one another so vitally important.

crazylemon your point is fair. I suppose I am being unreasonable when I say I want society as a whole to act in a kind and caring manner, or not be illicit when it comes to what you see women as because you're right, people can choose. I don't know, I just see it as a bit degrading when people act like that. I suppose as I find friends in my life I'll have to choose those that share my view through their choice, I just hope such people exist as, going by some of the posts in this forum, they don't. Fortunately I don't think this forum is representative

ReputationRep:
    I guess that's what I see it as. Maybe I'm just being an old traditionalist but I see the values of respecting one another so vitally important.

crazylemon your point is fair. I suppose I am being unreasonable when I say I want society as a whole to act in a kind and caring manner, or not be illicit when it comes to what you see women as because you're right, people can choose. I don't know, I just see it as a bit degrading when people act like that. I suppose as I find friends in my life I'll have to choose those that share my view through their choice, I just hope such people exist as, going by some of the posts in this forum, they don't. Fortunately I don't think this forum is representative
    Just because they want more sex doesn't mean they don't respect people, remember that.

Also picking friends based on their sex life is probably not a good idea...

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I wouldn't say this is specifically asking for life advice, but it's in regard to this forum. This place seems to be littered with frankly outstanding threads which I sincerely hope don't show any representation to the wider community. People who see women solely as sex objects, people worried that they haven't lost their virginity by 18, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, what has society (Or hopefully, this forum) come to? Where are the core values of dignity and respect for people? What ever happened to relationships and genuine caring for one another?
    I absolutely agree 100%.

Virginity and sex doesn't matter, it doesn't matter how old you are when you loose it, its just that 12 year olds on estates are worried that they'll not have 4 children by the time they are 17, like their friends have.

People encouraging others to take their own lives when they come here seeking help (I have experienced this alot ).

People don't seem to have any respect anymore.

I know its easy to behave like this on an internet forum because people don't know who you are etc. But in reference to the suicide thing, we are talking about real people's lives...REAL PEOPLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I absolutely agree 100%.

Virginity and sex doesn't matter, it doesn't matter how old you are when you loose it, its just that 12 year olds on estates are worried that they'll not have 4 children by the time they are 17, like their friends have.

People encouraging others to take their own lives when they come here seeking help (I have experienced this alot ).

I know its easy to behave like this on an internet forum because people don't know who you are etc. But in reference to the suicide thing, we are talking about real people's lives...REAL PEOPLE.
    I know you have :console:
    It is terrible what people will do with anonymity. But think, many also try to do good, not everyone in your threads was suggesting should top yourself.

(Original post by mathperson)
    I absolutely agree 100%.

What wretches! That is exactly what I am getting at. How can people be so so insensitive? I hope for the sake of humanity they're trolling, even so, it is sick and twisted to do such a thing. I absolutely deteste people that act like that. Honestly it is one of the things I really genuinely hate. I hope you're okay, ignore them, they're being fatuous and infantile.

(Original post by crazylemon)
    Just because they want more sex doesn't mean they don't respect people, remember that.

Also picking friends based on their sex life is probably not a good idea...
    Okay, the sex thing in my original post was just an example. I'm referring to the people who act akin to mathperson's post. Those are the people that really really get to me.

ReputationRep:
    I would say there is- sexwise, although it doen't always fit with what society prefers, we are biologically evolved to try and pass on our genetics. So while 12 year olds popping out kids doesn't seem right to us it is fairly natural.
    As for the suicide thing, it is a small number of people who would do that and whilst I would never do it myself, I think that the general view is that if you've come on a forumn to start a thread about it then you're probably not really all that serious about it? I don't know, that is kind of sick though

ReputationRep:
    tsr attracts people with strange viewpoints

ReputationRep:
    One go on internet forums when bored, and a lot of people live out personalities and say stuff they'd never do in real life. This is not a reflection of society.

Besides, among all the trolling and some casual attempts of insult, I have gotten a lot of good advice on here.. And learned a lot..

ReputationRep:
    Sex is natural, 'dignity and respect' are not Everyones body says MATE MATE MATE, no ones body says coco and cuddles.

I'd say this forum shows what a lot of people think in real life but don't say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.