Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any respect left? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramanda)
    One go on internet forums when bored, and a lot of people live out personalities and say stuff they'd never do in real life. This is not a reflection of society.

Besides, among all the trolling and some casual attempts of insult, I have gotten a lot of good advice on here.. And learned a lot..
    I would say it was actually a fairly good representative of the sector of society that people our age represent. There's so many members of TSR that it does actually show the views of our age group. There are pretty healthy numbers of those with religious views concerning all the major religions and a good sized group of either atheists or people who just don't know. The people who use anon to be *******s would do exactly the same thing in real life if they could be anon in real life, hell some of them are dicks regardless.

Just as the majority of us love sex and have it regularly, there is the small group of people who have 'morals' and think the rest of us have no respect for each other, just like in real life. I do agree that TSR is like no other forum or group anywhere else but this might even make it a better candidate for reflecting real life than any other forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, the sex thing in my original post was just an example. I'm referring to the people who act akin to mathperson's post. Those are the people that really really get to me.
    Thats it because people abuse anonymity. And also because the person they are abusing is dehumanised as they can't see them.

It is sad but people like that have always existed, the bullys have just moved online in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I would say it was actually a fairly good representative of the sector of society that people our age represent. There's so many members of TSR that it does actually show the views of our age group. There are pretty healthy numbers of those with religious views concerning all the major religions and a good sized group of either atheists or people who just don't know. The people who use anon to be *******s would do exactly the same thing in real life if they could be anon in real life, hell some of them are dicks regardless.

Just as the majority of us love sex and have it regularly, there is the small group of people who have 'morals' and think the rest of us have no respect for each other, just like in real life. I do agree that TSR is like no other forum or group anywhere else but this might even make it a better candidate for reflecting real life than any other forum.
    I'm not saying I don't think it's a good representative of the society because of the age groups or people religious beliefs. I think people here (and on the internet in general) are more open (maybe even more honest) than in real life. I find myself, so I naturally assume that others too, feel that they can express what they're thinking on here, things you wouldn't necessarily bring up in conversation with your mates. Also, when you're bored (or in need to try and pretend that you have much more "balls" than you really do) you can say whatever you want to, be rude and sarcastic, in threads on tsr, and if the same thread came up in a real situation in life.. say if someone said they thought about killing themselves, I doubt the same amount of people who on tsr says "Go ahead!" would say so in real life.. Get me? In that way, I don't think the threads on here represents the interests/values/morals/etc of the age group from said society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramanda)
    I'm not saying I don't think it's a good representative of the society because of the age groups or people religious beliefs. I think people here (and on the internet in general) are more open (maybe even more honest) than in real life. I find myself, so I naturally assume that others too, feel that they can express what they're thinking on here, things you wouldn't necessarily bring up in conversation with your mates. Also, when you're bored (or in need to try and pretend that you have much more "balls" than you really do) you can say whatever you want to, be rude and sarcastic, in threads on tsr, and if the same thread came up in a real situation in life.. say if someone said they thought about killing themselves, I doubt the same amount of people who on tsr says "Go ahead!" would say so in real life.. Get me? In that way, I don't think the threads on here represents the interests/values/morals/etc of the age group from said society.
    Does that not just show people who for they really are though.
    When their actions will have (or are percieve by them) to have no consequences.
    I come on here for a bit of fun personally. Also I suppose to say things I don't in front of my friends, normally because they have little or no interest in politics.

(Original post by paella)
    Sex is natural, 'dignity and respect' are not Everyones body says MATE MATE MATE, no ones body says coco and cuddles.

I'd say this forum shows what a lot of people think in real life but don't say.
    I think the human species has its biological urges, but I think humans are now much more than that now. Humans do things that aren't strictly in line with what evolution says 'should' happen (but I don't doubt evolution happened). We've evolved, to what seems to be, something beyond our nature. I, for example, do not in the slightest scream 'MATE MATE MATE' when I look for a girl. However 'unmanly' this is, I do absolutely love the 'cocoa and cuddles', I love that in a relationship.

(Original post by crazylemon)
    Thats it because people abuse anonymity. And also because the person they are abusing is dehumanised as they can't see them.

It is sad but people like that have always existed, the bullys have just moved online in some cases.
    True. It's good to know that that is the case. Thanks. Shame that people still do it though, even though they are 'dehumanised'.

ReputationRep:
    None left whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    True. It's good to know that that is the case. Thanks. Shame that people still do it though, even though they are 'dehumanised'.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    Well there's alot of desperate folk on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Well there's alot of desperate folk on here.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    Oh I'm sure you know what i mean.
    Don't mean to be cruel or anythingg.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm sure you know what i mean.
    Don't mean to be cruel or anythingg.
    Genuinely don't, bit slow today.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely don't, bit slow today.
    Naah forget i said anything. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Naah forget i said anything. :teehee:
    Look just say it.

Just tell me. Please.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like the views that the members of TSR express, then why are you on this forum?

ReputationRep:
    Look just say it.

Just tell me. Please.
    A lot of guys on here just seem to be obsessed with womens bodies and sex that. Maybe that's just what many fellas are like in general or maybe guys tend to be quite..deprived on here..not everyone...

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of guys on here just seem to be obsessed with womens bodies and sex that. Maybe that's just what many fellas are like in general or maybe guys tend to be quite..deprived on here..not everyone...

:dontknow:
    :rofl:

Maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I would say there is- sexwise, although it doen't always fit with what society prefers, we are biologically evolved to try and pass on our genetics. So while 12 year olds popping out kids doesn't seem right to us it is fairly natural.
    As for the suicide thing, it is a small number of people who would do that and whilst I would never do it myself, I think that the general view is that if you've come on a forumn to start a thread about it then you're probably not really all that serious about it? I don't know, that is kind of sick though
    I used to think that people who talk about suicide don't want to/won't do it. I used to reason that if a person really wanted to then they would not want anyone to intervene. However having been depressed for the last several months and attempted suicide myself, I know this assumption to be completely false . What people on TSR have to bear in mind also is that people come on here either having not told anyone in 'real life' (remember on here we hide behind a mask - called a username...) and they can talk openly on here. Alternatively (as in my case) I came on here to talk openly about it, but I wasn't being completely open with my GP/uni' staff with respect to how low I was.

Alot of people on TSR who take the views that I mentioned in the start of this post do not have experience being depressed beyond feeling 'abit low' or certinally not to the extend of attempted suicide. Additionally people don't think about the points I mentioned in the rest of this post...

ReputationRep:
    I think the human species has its biological urges, but I think humans are now much more than that now. Humans do things that aren't strictly in line with what evolution says 'should' happen (but I don't doubt evolution happened). We've evolved, to what seems to be, something beyond our nature. I, for example, do not in the slightest scream 'MATE MATE MATE' when I look for a girl. However 'unmanly' this is, I do absolutely love the 'cocoa and cuddles', I love that in a relationship.
    Not so. Our culture has changed, and so our means also has. We recognize that more sex is gained from marriage than raping randomly, we recognize that food and drink is more easily available if we work, and that our violent urges can be staked with sport etc.

However, we are still striving after sex and survival. If it suited us, we'd go around raping and killing as much as we wanted to. We shoot and drop bombs and knife each other as easily as before, look at any east London gang or Afghan.

Look at the bible, in socio-cultural terms an accurate historical document. We are no different now in the way we live our lives to the times then. And between then and now we've had periods of unimaginable hedonistic urge and unimaginable torture and war (e.g. the hundred year war). Indeed, thirty years ago the western power didn't allow blacks and whites to the same school, 100 years ago that same nation enslaved blacks and depending on the owners taste, both black males and females were regularly subjected to prolonged periods of violent and sexual abuse. Even today in parts of Africa, in many other countries, humans happily partake in rape and torture. We haven't evolved at all, Men want sex and power, women want kids and protection. That's how it goes, and that's how we'll probably always be. In 2000 years our nature hasn't changed a bit, in another 2000 years it probably won't change at all.

We're animals, but clever animals. We want animal things.

(Original post by paella)
    Not so. Our culture has changed, and so our means also has. We recognize that more sex is gained from marriage than raping randomly, we recognize that food and drink is more easily available if we work, and that our violent urges can be staked with sport etc.

However, we are still striving after sex and survival. If it suited us, we'd go around raping and killing as much as we wanted to. We shoot and drop bombs and knife each other as easily as before, look at any east London gang or Afghan.

Look at the bible, in socio-cultural terms an accurate historical document. We are no different now in the way we live our lives to the times then. And between then and now we've had periods of unimaginable hedonistic urge and unimaginable torture and war (e.g. the hundred year war). Indeed, thirty years ago the western power didn't allow blacks and whites to the same school, 100 years ago that same nation enslaved blacks and depending on the owners taste, both black males and females were regularly subjected to prolonged periods of violent and sexual abuse. Even today in parts of Africa, in many other countries, humans happily partake in rape and torture. We haven't evolved at all, Men want sex and power, women want kids and protection. That's how it goes, and that's how we'll probably always be. In 2000 years our nature hasn't changed a bit, in another 2000 years it probably won't change at all.

We're animals, but clever animals. We want animal things.
    I completely disagree with what you've said. More sex is not gained from practising monogamy. We 'want' to get our genes to as many people as possible, and monogamy sure as hell isn't the way to be going about that. Why do you think we stem violent urges with sport? Why do we need a structured culture? Why don't we just go about killing each other and work in little groups, constantly at war, like we did in the past? Food is easily to steal, but I never would. If we have the opportunity to do good, humans generally do. An east London gang or Afghan is hardly representative of the entire human race. Look at the people who devote their entire lives to help people (or, if you think the response to that is 'it's helping the species' (which, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't, it helps the individual) the people who devote their lives to animals). Relatives of mine have never married and they are perfectly happy people. A tiny fraction of the people in this world drop bombs and stab readily. That's why it makes news. News reports on things which are not 'ordinary'. What people saw black people as was different. The whole idea of racism is that whites don't see blacks as a 'proper' person and degrade them. Fortunately society has come to realise that this is completely false. I am living proof against what you're saying. I do not want sex and power from my life. Granted, I do want to start a family and I don't want to be a penniless pauper but I am not strongly motivated by sex and power. The good in this world far outweighs the bad that is done, you just don't hear about the good that is done day-to-day as much as you do the bad. What it means to be human now is drastically different to what it was in our evolutionary past.

Just to say, take this as backing out or whatever you want to, but I have an exam on Tuesday to be revising for so forgive me if I don't respond to you.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree with what you've said. More sex is not gained from practising monogamy.
    The people who have sex the most are in relationships. Women want security, therefore dislike monogamy.

We 'want' to get our genes to as many people as possible, and monogamy sure as hell isn't the way to be going about that.
    Your genes don't know one women from another, that's why most women appear attractive. All your body wants is lots of sex, it doesn't differentiate between one women and another.

Why do you think we stem violent urges with sport? Why do we need a structured culture? Why don't we just go about killing each other and work in little groups, constantly at war, like we did in the past?
    Because when we working in little groups and were at war there was less time for sex, women were not secure, and it was difficult to raise children.

Food is easily to steal, but I never would.
    If everyone stole food, there would be no or little food.

If we have the opportunity to do good, humans generally do.
    Then one does wonder why America has a defense budget that would solve world poverty, and why there are still wars. Indeed, if humans tended to do good, why are their adverts persuading people to give blood, become organ donors, and give £2 a month to charity. If humans liked social cohesion, we'd just be the human empire, and we would all have enough and we would all be happy. Most people who have money are very happy not to give a tiny bit away so people who have non can have a lot. If people liked to do good, there wouldn't be the concept of charity.

An east London gang or Afghan is hardly representative of the entire human race.
    It's representing what I wanted it to represent - people who are not in a secure cocoon of money and sex.

Look at the people who devote their entire lives to help people (or, if you think the response to that is 'it's helping the species' (which, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't, it helps the individual) the people who devote their lives to animals).
    These are very unusual, and they often do very little.

Relatives of mine have never married and they are perfectly happy people.
    You can read minds?

A tiny fraction of the people in this world drop bombs and stab readily.
    The 1st and Second World Wars, McArthyism, Stalin, Apartied. All of these things involve lot's of people. I wouldn't imagine the worlds collective armed forces amount to a tiny fraction of people. Of course most people don't do the stabbing, but they have no trouble voting in governments that will, or not doing anything when it does happen in other parts of the world.

That's why it makes news. News reports on things which are not 'ordinary'. What people saw black people as was different. The whole idea of racism is that whites don't see blacks as a 'proper' person and degrade them.
    News reports things that people want to read about. People want to read about nasty things happening close to them. Nice things don't make the news because no one cares.

Fortunately society has come to realise that this is completely false.
    Very few people actually believed that black people were inferior. Physical slavery, economic slavery, what difference does it make. Wilberforce saw nothing unacceptable about forcing Welsh children down dangerous mines.

I am living proof against what you're saying. I do not want sex and power from my life. Granted, I do want to start a family and I don't want to be a penniless pauper but I am not strongly motivated by sex and power.
    The things you want from life are all about sex and power!!! If you ant to start a family then you are strongly motivated by sex. Families also give you power, so you want power. Not being a pauper means you want money. You could raise a family with no money, but you choose not to. Why, because you want power

The good in this world far outweighs the bad that is done, you just don't hear about the good that is done day-to-day as much as you do the bad.
    Good is people feeling good. Isaac Newton said that for every reaction there must be an equal and opposite reaction. This is useful in physics, but most true in the everyday world. Good for one person is terrible for another etc etc etc. Therefore, there is no 'good' being done in the world.

What it means to be human now is drastically different to what it was in our evolutionary past.
    That just depends on your meaning doesn't it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.