The Student Room Group
Taught = vocational (as a whole), Research = geared towards PhD's
Well, having done an MSc Research degree at LSE I could share a few thoughts...

1) Taken from my supervisor and head of the programme, an MSc (Research) would not provide a distinct advantage in applying for PhD courses in the UK. Not at first glance when looking at transcripts. Good marks on a strictly taught course would give you as good a chance as any. The designation is most useful if you were to apply for ESRC 1+3/ +3 programmes. He did say, though not necessary in the UK, the Msc Research courses are looked favourably in the US...somehow.

2) In practical terms, if an MSc research and eventual PhD is on your mind, I would go over the syllabus/course structure with a very fine toothed comb! Some degrees with a Research component can have their research core course either specific to the discipline, or you would be pooled with people from all sorts of departments. Furthermore, assuming it has both a quantitative and qualitative element both exam results may be averaged together into a single result :eek3: . This could be hazardous if you feel you are absolute ***** in one aspect and don't want to give off a bad impression. But sometimes the weighting is different per department i.e. the quant might only matter 20% or something very generous like that. Also, other core compulsory courses may be different than your straight-taught peers. Have a think about these concerns if you are concerned about the numbers game in PhD admissions, though any problems in the research-core modules can be remedied with an impressive dissertation and references who are aware of your research training and can vouch on what "type" of researcher you are.

3) Having said all this, I do admit that the large functional difference between taught and research MScs is that in the latter your PhD proposal will be A LOT easier. Straight-taught colleagues of mine have had a really tough time in comparison writing up the Methodology and Methods sections.
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies, they were very helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending