Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a lot of girls have said to me they like the look of guys when they wear checkered shirts, with the sleeves rolled up. they also say they like it when guys wear suits.

theres a problem - doesnt it look both silly and inappropriate to wear a checkered shirts with sleeves rolled up, or a suit, in every day life? for the former, i would only consider doing it in clubs/nights out and the latter only for posh occasions. but i wouldnt mind trying out at least the former in every day life, cos i like trying new clothes and looks out. but why do girls like a look that is unwearable in everyday life? is it advisable for me to wear such clothes? thanks for all replies

ReputationRep:
    What utter drivel! Shirts are perfectly wearable in everyday life, though admittedly less than advisable in the midwinter in which we now find ourselves. Indeed, they're often more comfortable than t-shirts, more versatile (sleeves up, sleeves down, buttons up, buttons down, etc.), and have evolved over many years such that they hide many defects of build or form.

Anyway, getting back to the point... checked shirts are the worst of the worst, the cardinal sin of all cardinal sins! Checked shirts just end up making people look either like emos or cowboy wannabes (though you'd really do better at it were you to have big boots, the hat, the horse, and of course press-studs - poppers in the lingo - on said shirt). I think the only possible worse step is horizontally striped shirts, which mercifully fell by the wayside along with ruffs and frilly cuffs, and the like..

So, in summary, we should all be wearing stripey shirts, preferably with blue and white stripes, and solely because I, in my infinite sartorial wisdom, say so.

PS: Did I mention shirts aren't impractical?

PPS: Suits are far from unwearable. Many wear them to work on a daily basis, and yet others to school. Heck, some people just wear them to look smart, though I reckon they're taking it a little far, and should slap on some jeans, leather shoes, and a blue striped shirt (cf. above)!

PPPS: Please, for the love of God, tuck your shirts in. Belts were invented for a reason, as have long shirt-tails.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above. Except that checkered shirts are the 'worst of the worst', they're absolutely fine. As for looking emo, what the hell? Plaid shirts have been the main attire of grunge (from Claire Danes in My So-Called Life to Pearl Jam) for 20 years now, since when did emo culture steal that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domlague)
    PPPS: Please, for the love of God, tuck your shirts in. Belts were invented for a reason, as have long shirt-tails.
    But an untucked shirt has hidden many a nascent potbelly...

I do tend to agree that shirts can be worn perfectly casually, and look 10 times nicer than a T-shirt.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to tuck your shirts in, provided they're the right fit. And yeah, you can wear casual shirts everyday.

ReputationRep:
    checkered shirt - alright, but I dont really like them but thats just me.

Jeans, white belt, casual shirt with a tshirt under? Or.. a any kind sweater with slight v-neck.. Mmm, guys clothes with a guy inside.. sexy..

Yeah, and the whole cardigan thing guys have going on now, is a massive turn-off for me.. Guys need to be manly.. Masculine!! ..yeaaah, I need to stop now..

ReputationRep:
    i love checkered/plaid shirts on guys, any place any time! they seem to broaden guys out too, much more than a sloppy t-shirt

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how checkered shirts are unsuitable for everyday life.. but I am definitely sick to death of them! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    Plain white top > checkered shirt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I agree with the above. Except that checkered shirts are the 'worst of the worst', they're absolutely fine. As for looking emo, what the hell? Plaid shirts have been the main attire of grunge (from Claire Danes in My So-Called Life to Pearl Jam) for 20 years now, since when did emo culture steal that?
    Umm... I wasn't trying to be exhaustive, merely to outline a couple of pitfalls wearers of such shirts are well advised to avoid. Plaid/checked shirts are OK, I just find the sorts of guys who tend to wear them aren't the sorts of guys I like as my guy-friends, and I can't imagine them appealing much to any girls either! Then again, they must do, or they wouldn't wear them. So lets just say it's a question of taste. After all, de gustibus et de coloribus....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    Why is it I can imagine you in the Cavendish Tiger Tiger?

Heed this advice if you want to look like a metrosexual sloane ranger
    Hah! Metrosexual sloane ranger... well I never. More like advice to be heeded if one wishes not to look like one's been dressed by one's mother, and poorly at that. Besides, I'm not sure how you can pigeonhole me as a sloane ranger, considering I'm from Cape Town?

ReputationRep:
    I was talking also about the sleaves rolled up on a shirt :o: that is inappropriate, is it not?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.