Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Graduation Year 2010: The ULTIMATE How do YOU revise? thread watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    what the hell? 4 weeks is plenty of time! Right now we're doing our mocks and people only started revising a week before. And those people always score high marks. It's how you plan your time.
    Hmm, I agree with Flajamafloffl that 3 books are definitely not enough for history. I must have like 20 books (no kidding) to cover everything, especially historiography. That being said, I also agree with you that 4 weeks is plenty of time if you're more or less up to speed in the course. For all my mocks before I only studied less than 1 week for history and I got 7s.

Obviously, don't try that for your real exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstar)
    :no:

2 hours for English A1 P2 is NOT enough...unless you already know your books REEAALLY well, it won't even be enough for P1 practice...

But you also have to decide on priorities for IB, eg. I prioritize English because it's HL...maths is SL so I am not as bothered.

Good luck guys!
    well I do English A2 HL and Math SL but I prioritize Math
    we did 6 books, and throughout the 2 years we wrote notes on the books, themes, etc. So we just review those. (I mean no one in my school reads the books again). And paper 1 is just writing a commentary. We did loads of practice during the class. So it's all just skills basically....there's nothing more you can study for it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "Most important of all, do not stress out! Have fun, and bask in the pleasure of learning."

hahahahahaha
    hmm, I would love learning if there aren't so many bloody exams coming up

ReputationRep:
    16 days left until English A1 HL P1 sets off the chain of exams.

I've done pretty much nothing for English or French (which are both A1 HL classes for me) but I'll reread the books before both P2s, and study some of the terms a bit for P1.

Maths SL: Have done multiple questions, I need to do all the past papers for the past five years now.
    Bio HL: AHHHH! I only started revising bio on Thursday proper. So that's def one of my main priorities now.
    Chemistry HL: I've been to all the revision session my teacher organised during our break of study leave (we're now on our spring break for two weeks before the 'xams start.) I still don't understand quite a lot of the material, but I've been using the internet and Youtube a lot for it - chemguy (www.chemguy.com) and khanacademy.org are my main resources for that. They're amazinggggg.
    History SL: Still haven't made my timeline, but I'm rereading my notes a bit, and I'm going to have a history study picnic with a friend so we can just talk about the events and discuss them properly. That's quite helpful actually.

My main problem is that I have all these lovely plans but have little or no motivation to work for them... I'm predicted a 42, but my offer to McGill (which is where I'm probably going) is for 33 points, so I don't really see the point of killing myself studying before the exams. The thing is, I KNOW I'll be disappointed if I don't do well and come close to my Predicted. Oh well. Hopefully I'll snap out of the motivation slump soon...

Good luck all of you! Just think, it'll be over soooooon.

ReputationRep:
    As of today (12:13am in Europe), there remain 17 days until my first exam, which is English A1 HL Paper 1.

Can someone please give me some hints or general guidance on how to just motivate myself to study?

I find that because we havn't been getting a lot of homework (due to the fact that exams are so near) for the past two months or so, I'm almost in this mindset that I'm on vacation or something. :eek:

Last year when my brother took the IB, his grade was freaking out at the prospect of taking exams; for some reason, I'm not feeling any anxiety at all at the moment.

I'm predicted about a 35, and I achieved around that number in my mock exams.

SHOULD I BE FREAKING OUT!?1!??!! :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Well then, do you wish to work in McDonalds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambar88)

If you are confident in your abilities then no.

ReputationRep:
    Ironic-I am having the exact opposite problem...I am not relaxed, working as hard as possible and am FREAKING OUT ALOT

...which I think is really bad + unhelpful

being relaxed is such a good think, keep it up

ReputationRep:
    Think of how your life will be with no qualifications. And think of the sense of achievement when you get that high mark, higher than everyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    think of how u will be making a double down for customers for the rest of ur life ... (its actually the coolest job ever) :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    why don't u do as I do? Just think of the coming long summer vacation before uni where you can have ultimate fun. Tell yourself: study hard now and then I can enjoy my time in summer

ReputationRep:
    Pay now play later,
    or
    Play now, pay later.

Focus on a goal you could achieve only if you have a good score (e.g: getting into your favourite uni), everytime your motivation starts to slack ask yourself if you want to achieve that goal or keep on dreaming about it for the rest of your life...

ReputationRep:
    I also have 17 days remaining till my exams which is English A1 p1 :eek3:

wweeeeelll i haven't freaked out yet but I will in 16 days :woo:

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL

just think of the summer vacations it works with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieKoutoufa)
    I also have 17 days remaining till my exams which is English A1 p1 :eek3:

wweeeeelll i haven't freaked out yet but I will in 16 days :woo:

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL

just think of the summer vacations it works with me
    I have 2 exams on 4th and 2 on 5th and one on 6th...damn that time table (I take math SL, business and management and Eng A1 HL).

Any one actually satisfied with their timetable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambar88)
    As of today (12:13am in Europe), there remain 17 days until my first exam, which is English A1 HL Paper 1.

Can someone please give me some hints or general guidance on how to just motivate myself to study?

I find that because we havn't been getting a lot of homework (due to the fact that exams are so near) for the past two months or so, I'm almost in this mindset that I'm on vacation or something. :eek:

Last year when my brother took the IB, his grade was freaking out at the prospect of taking exams; for some reason, I'm not feeling any anxiety at all at the moment.

I'm predicted about a 35, and I achieved around that number in my mock exams.

Think of an intrinstic reason for studying besides I will have a better life, my parents won't kill me etc.
    Also I'm having the IB test in may and I AM FREAKING OUT LOLWUT WTF SO SCREWED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medstar)
    I have 2 exams on 4th and 2 on 5th and one on 6th...damn that time table (I take math SL, business and management and Eng A1 HL).

Any one actually satisfied with their timetable?

i have 2 papers every day from 4th to 7th may.. (business HL, psychology HL,english a1 AND math studies..)
    so yea i'm not really satisfied with my timetable..

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way.

Imagine how you'll look/feel on results day. I remember some folks crying on results day, both at gcse and a levels. Do you wanna be one of these people?

Mosts of the folks that cried were girls though. Crazy girls

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uG2kSdd-4

ReputationRep:
    So, when have you guys started (if you have already) revising for your exams in May? Ive heard a few people say they were gonna revise a subject per week which sounds fair enough to me. Im going to start tomorrow (so a bit more than 2 weeks for revision) and I'm not sure thats going to be enough for 36points. Is there anyone else in a similar situation? lol :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    i've studied for 1/2 of my Chem options... that's about it. pretty confident i can get above my predicted 40 though. also, canadian universities will take me as long as i get 24.

the thing is, i don't have TIME to study because i'm still being given assignments and tests and homework, and i end up doing those, telling myself i'll study inbetween, but i just can't find the time

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.