Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI, i am going to Durham for sept 2010 intake for Msc in Accounting and Finance (Durham University). Would you please let me what wil be approx cost of living for 52 weeks in Durham.

I may be needed separate flat/ room with kitchen n bathroom and can be furnished also...

Mostly i don't have habit of spending money for outing/ pubs/ movies and for unnecessary things.

So, what do you think abt approx cost of living.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It's relatively decent in that the city is incredibly small so the vast majority of students can easily walk around and don't have to rely on public transport and that cuts down on cost. Some pubs can be ridiculously expensive but as that doesn't concern you....

Accomodation is where things can get expensive. College accomodation can go up to £120 a week (maybe more). Private accomodation varies, of course, but for a flat or house in the city centre you can be looking at £70 - £90 a week. There are more expensive places, I've seen some up to £120, but £70-90 is typical. For houses just outside the city centre then £45 - £70 a week with Gilesgate probably being the least expensive area. Certainly the part of Gilesgate where I live (room in a 3 bed house for £39.50 a week including water but not electicity and gas).

Food is fairly decent especially if you stick to larger supermarkets and not smaller convenience stores (and try and take advantage of decent offers).

I'm spending 3k a year on just the essentials (rent, bills, food...) so that doesn't include what I spend on going to the theatre, music, gigs or societies. But then my rent is particularly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It's relatively decent in that the city is incredibly small so the vast majority of students can easily walk around and don't have to rely on public transport and that cuts down on cost. Some pubs can be ridiculously expensive but as that doesn't concern you....

Accomodation is where things can get expensive. College accomodation can go up to £120 a week (maybe more). Private accomodation varies, of course, but for a flat or house in the city centre you can be looking at £70 - £90 a week. There are more expensive places, I've seen some up to £120, but £70-90 is typical. For houses just outside the city centre then £45 - £70 a week with Gilesgate probably being the least expensive area. Certainly the part of Gilesgate where I live (room in a 3 bed house for £39.50 a week including water but not electicity and gas).

Food is fairly decent especially if you stick to larger supermarkets and not smaller convenience stores (and try and take advantage of decent offers).

I'm spending 3k a year on just the essentials (rent, bills, food...) so that doesn't include what I spend on going to the theatre, music, gigs or societies. But then my rent is particularly cheap.
    thanks for your kind reply.. thats gud... so, what do you do in durham.. i mean are you working or studying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khan18)
    thanks for your kind reply.. thats gud... so, what do you do in durham.. i mean are you working or studying
    You're welcome.

I'm studying (philosophy and politics). I've been here since 2004 :o: But I did take two years out from 2007 so I've only just returned this year. I'll have one more year left after this one then I'll finally be finished :p:

ReputationRep:
    hi River,

What will be the cost of a furnished house with 2 or 3 bedrooms per month?(pls include all rents such gas etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aruns4)
    hi River,

What will be the cost of a furnished house with 2 or 3 bedrooms per month?(pls include all rents such gas etc).
    do you mean one room in such a house, or the whole house? As River said above, it'll depend on the area in which you live.

I'd advise having a look on google, that should give you some idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    do you mean one room in such a house, or the whole house? As River said above, it'll depend on the area in which you live.

I'd advise having a look on google, that should give you some idea.

i meant the whole house( if my frds come over there with me we can share a house and if not i have to find a single room)

i got offer for Msc Adv SE. not sure in what college they will put me in.

if the cost depends on place, then what will be best places in Durham with low and best accomdation cost and a good social life??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aruns4)
    i meant the whole house( if my frds come over there with me we can share a house and if not i have to find a single room)

i got offer for Msc Adv SE. not sure in what college they will put me in.

if the cost depends on place, then what will be best places in Durham with low and best accomdation cost and a good social life??
    Have a look on sturents.com
    and studentpad.co.uk/durham

ReputationRep:
    Helo!

I have been given admission in PhD in Business Management(Ustinov) with research topic in Finance. I have been awarded scholarship from an external agency and they will be covering all fee and living costs.
    I have started looking for accommodation but after looking at the prices and the laws and regulations, I have decided that I will be better off in a private house. I am unable to decide the location where to live. Distance doesn't matter to me as long as there is a bus service available.
    If anyone can guide me or anyone wish to share house with me, please let me know. I have done Bachelor of Engineering and MBA Finance with positions. I have a considerable teaching experience in finance, economics and mathematics/statistics. So, anyone looking for my assistance in studies is more than welcomed.

Regards
    Adnan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khan18)
    HI, i am going to Durham for sept 2010 intake for Msc in Accounting and Finance (Durham University). Would you please let me what wil be approx cost of living for 52 weeks in Durham.

I may be needed separate flat/ room with kitchen n bathroom and can be furnished also...

Mostly i don't have habit of spending money for outing/ pubs/ movies and for unnecessary things.

So, what do you think abt approx cost of living.

Thank you

Hey Khan,

What is your profile to get into the Msc. Accounting & Finance program? I am interested to see what it takes to get in.

Snookie,

ReputationRep:
    Sir,

I am looking forward for MBA at Durham University for sept 2015 intake , i would appreciate your help to guide me regarding average monthly expense for living in Durham as i might be allocated Ustinov College

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.