Music at university even though I am a beginner Watch

lunchbox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What do you need in order to study music at university? I am a relative amateur at playing the piano but I want to develop my abilities further and am just considering my options as to what sort of degree to study at uni.

Do you need to have achieved a certain grade level (on ABRSM) in order to be able to start the course? How about for an A-level in Music? Do you need to be playing at a grade 8 level before you start an A-level in music?

Also, is there any chance to pick up another instrument while at university? I have always been interested in the cello.

I realise the chances are slim that I could get good enough to be admitted to a music course at the university level within this year, but I say it's worth looking into.
Lulope
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Glasgow want you be have 'at least' a merit in your grade eight. You would have to be incredibly gifted tog et that in a year.
Best Served Chilled
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know people that have degrees in music and still only have grade 7 piano. It's not easy though.
lunchbox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Lulope)
Glasgow want you be have 'at least' a merit in your grade eight. You would have to be incredibly gifted tog et that in a year.
Well like I said... it was just to see what sort of options are open to me. There is always the option of just keeping music as a strong side interest.
Lulope
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lunchbox)
Well like I said... it was just to see what sort of options are open to me. There is always the option of just keeping music as a strong side interest.
I'm not sure it would be possible. You could maybe do a degree related to music that's not strictly music?

It's just, given the amount of time you would need to get to an acceptable standard in your instrument, it would be incredibly difficult to keep your other studies at an acceptable standard for the course.

I would definitley recommend the 'cello though. :yep: It doesn't take long for what you're playing to sound really pretty which is nice. And there's lots of lovely 'cello music.
Thingeh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lunchbox)
You don't "need" grade 8 piano/on an instrument on all degree courses, for instace: Bristol university doesn't have any compulsory performances courses.

However, if you want to do a degree which is performance intensive, then yes you'd likely need grade 8 (or close) on your principal instrument at the start.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To be honest though, you will find harmony and compositiion classes much more difficult without a decent level of keyboard skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise